Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Sorry, on a tablet so I have shared a link to the folder on google drive where I have photos of the Cashmore rifle I encountered.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B2s-yc-xHRVtWlhnVDRVd1JsbWs

I have no experience with hammer guns or double guns, though appreciate old firearms. I have an associate with this gun and I have a possibility to buy it. What's it worth? Not so much in $ (though that too). Are they any good? Will I be committing heracy if I were so game as to fire it?

From what I can tell is nitro proof, full choke barrles. Barrels marked as made by W.M.Cashmore Birmingham. The serial number is 14380 which from what I can tell puts it circa 1910?

The wood quality seems very good, though is worn. Barrel bores are in very good condition.the steel does not seem to be pitted, though I imagine a reblue would do it good. Embossing/engraving is as shown in photos. Any help appreciated. Anyone who knows how to value such a rifle, feedback would be appreciated.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Cashmores are great guns. I have a couple and love them. Stalones on this site uses a hammer to win sporting clays titles. Also don't reblue; they look better with the patina of well cared for age.

W. E. Boyd
Sidelock
Sidelock

Welcome to the board.

First off, rifle or shotgun? Lot of difference in value. I don't see any rifle sights and you mention "full choke" barrels. Clear this up and I'll make a valuation.

DDA

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

12 gauge shotgun.there is a single bead as with many sxs. So correct, it is a shotgun. (I didn't know that Cashmore made rifles, if I get into collecting that sounds like something I would want to get my hands on).

As for getting a rough idea of price, if there are not enough photos in the link let me know and I will try to get more. But will likely be a few weeks before I see said gun again. The most notable unfortunate damage to the gun is that the left hand side hammer has been brazed back on after it somehow became detached.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Cornell Pubs has repro 1903 and 1910 catalogs
http://www.cornellpubs.com/old-guns/historic-cashmore.php

It is possible that Robert Beach may have information on the gun
http://www.cornellpubs.com/research-your-gun.php

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have his younger brother serial no 20490.
I paid $ 250.00 au. I would not give the same for this gun.
On looking at the pictures again, that one is not in as good condition as mine. Not only is the hammer welded but it is not the same as the other & the screw is not original.
O.M

Last edited by moses; 07/07/17 07:39 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Based on your description and the photos, here is an evaluation of value. The Cashmore name is rated as Brand Value level three (BV3) by the market. The gun appears to be an Original Quality level seven (OQ7) gun. And, the appearance and description seem to fit Current Condition level 8, "Marginally shootable, significent repairs required soon or poor restoration."

BV3-OQ7-CC8 = $300. Note that this evaluation assumes the gun is safe to shoot.

Hope that helps.

DDA

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks Drew, will look into that for sure.
A little disapointing if this osne isn't worth much, but then it appears to have had a hard life. Still would be an interesting piece to start a collection for someone like me with not much coin about me (university student). The bright side is that if it has limited market value I won't mind using it from time to time. The owner tells me it has many foxes and pigeons to its name.

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks heaps.

It is definitely shootable, was stored well since its last use many years ago. However am interested, where do you go to reztore such a gun? I'd love to restore it!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Might help with a smith recommendation if you told us roughly where you are.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.