Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mind is expiring Ted frown

The Iron Age, April 1902
https://books.google.com/books?id=xqM-AQAAMAAJ&pg=RA9-PA65&lpg
The first electric arc furnace was developed by Paul Hroult, of France, in 1900. Hroult came to the U.S. in 1905 and Halcomb Steel Co. installed the first electric arc furnace in the U.S. in 1906.
Sanderson Brothers Steel Co. installed an arc furnace in 1907, and the furnace is on display at Station Square, Pittsburgh.

The Horseless Age, Dec. 14 1910
https://books.google.com/books?id=DKONYWNYDqIC&pg=PA813&lpg

C.H. Halcomb, former president of Crucible, formed Halcomb Steel Company in Syracuse in 1902, with L.C. Smith as Chairman of the Board of Directors.
Crucible bought Halcomb in 1911, but the company continued to market many tradename steels and steel alloys including Dreadnought High Speed Steel, Ketos Oil Hardening Steel, and Halectralloy Brand Chrome Vanadium and Chrome Nickel steels. In 1917, Halcomb was merged with Syracuse Crucible Steel Co.
John Houchins states that Halcomb supplied London steel for 0 grades and Royal steel for the hammer guns starting in 1907, and in his L.C. Smith The Legend Lives p. 385 has a copy of the 1907 Halcomb catalog with a listing for Machine Gun And Smokeless Rifle Barrel, Revolver Cylinder Steel, and Shot Gun Barrel...furnished in both Carbon and Alloy grades.
The 1913 edition of Halcomb Steel Co. Catalogue and Hints on Steel however contains no mention of steel for gun barrels, nor Royal or London steel.

We have lots of Smiths with London and Royal steel barrels that carry the mark of LLH (Laurent Lochet-Habran) & ACL (Acier Cockerill Liege) however.

BTW: The J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co. No. 105, 107 & 115 singles were listed with Electro Steel in 1901; post-1916 No. 105 had Compressed Forged Steel.
The No. 165 singles in 1912 also had Electro Steel.

Hunter - Trader - Trapper , 1908
https://books.google.com/books?id=USTOAAAAMAAJ&pg=RA1-PA11&lpg

In 1902 the No. 180 hammerless single had Special Pyro-Electro Steel.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The metal in a good condition vintage LC Smith will probably handle modern loads. Shooting them particularly in a light 16 G is another matter. So few factory 16 G loads out there choices are limited most are loaded like light 12s and intended to cycle autos. RSTs are intended for SxS guns and work well, others kick too hard and generally have shot loads heavier than needed for Clays or upland birds.

I shoot Herters 1 oz 16 g shells in a pump the reload the hullls 3/4 or 7/8 oz depending on the gun. Lighter older Parker Hammer 16 stick with the 3/4. Newer Parker Trojan 3/4 for close range clays with some 7/8s in the pouch for longer shots.

Much easier on my shoulder and old wood. I am pretty sure a steady high volume diet of factory 16 g shells would cause stock problems in My Hammer Gun Your Smith likely the same

Others may see it different.

Boats

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have read some copies of letters written by one of the arms factories set up by the Confederacy during the 1861-65 era for the purpose of making revolvers. As I recall this was one of the factories making Copies of the Colt model 1851. They were Begging for "Steel". They were they said prepared to make revolvers in some quantity. They could make the barrels & frames from iron, but "Had" to have Steel for the cylinders. They had tried Twisted Iron & it would still not contain the pressures But they Has to have Steel for the cylinders.
Apparently steel has been in existence in some form for at least that long. Problem was there was simply none to be obtained "In The South"
I believe that Genuine Colts of this period did have Steel Cylinders.
In "The Gun" 1834 W Greener mentions both Twist & Damascus barrels being made of a mixture of steel & iron so steel itself had been around for awhile prior to "Steel Shotgun Barrels" being made.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Huntsman hot-rolled crucible steel process was introduced in 1742. To form a barrel, a sheet was folded over a mandrel and the long edge hammer welded.
Everything changed when the Bessemer process was patented in 1856, and when William Siemens established the Sample Steelworks to develop the Siemens-Martin Open Hearth process in 1865.
And that would be Ted's friend Monsieur Pierre-mile Martin wink

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks all a lot of good information being posted.

Didn't realize LC Smith had changed the stock in later guns. Thanks Drew..

I have plans to use this on pheasants, it has F/XF chokes so I would think a 1oz rst load of copper plated 6's would work pretty good for that purpose.

The wood on the gun appears to be in very good shape, actually the whole gun appears to be in pretty good shape.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I wouldn't worry about it at all. Sweet Elsie!!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

My 2 3/4 16's love the shells that herters makes. 2 1/2 are still great to shoot out of it. An ounce of 8's is an ounce of 8's

Sidelock
Sidelock

What you'll find with the Elsie 16's factory chambered at 2 3/4" is that they're heavier in general than the earlier short-chambered 16's. (Hunter was the last of the American makers to switch to 2 3/4" standard chamber length in the 16ga.) I would not worry about modern 16ga ammo in an Elsie 16 with factory 2 3/4" chambers . . . except maybe the Federal 1 1/4 oz "magnums". Those might not hurt the gun, but they can be nasty on the shooter's shoulder.

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

The guy I bought it from, said the gun has 2 3/4" chambers, I am going to verify that when it comes in. I have read conflicting information on when exactly LC Smith went to 2 3/4" for 16ga guns.... I have read some guys saying they have mid 30's era guns that have 2 3/4, and some saying the shorter chambers...

Is there any "firm date" when this occured?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Firm for 20s; a moving target for 16s
http://www.lcsmith.org/faq/lengthen2016.html

BTW: you are fortunate to be near Buck Hamlin in Pevely, MO 636-479-4304

Did more looking and it does not appear that Pierre-mile Martin ever made it to the U.S.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.