May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (Themauserkid, FelixD), 877 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,527
Posts545,856
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 19 1 2 3 4 18 19
Sidelock
Sidelock

Madison wrote the bill of rights drawn largely from a document addressing the rights of a citizen in Virginia. So his ideas were not those of a single man but of a general opinion of the citizens at large. Madison looked at the roots of the Revolutionary War. First act of the British to silence dissidents and to punish the Americans was to send troops to occupy Boston because pamphlets were being printed there that challenged the British King and Parliament. It was abundantly clear that without a free press to speak the voice of the people, freedom could not flourish thus the 1st Amendment. Then the British troops in Boston marched to Concord to confiscate a believed cash of arms. There the troops killed some citizens and the shooting started. It was abundantly clear that an unarmed citizenry could be quickly subjugated if they had no means of protecting themselves. This was 2nd Amendment.

Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Last edited by pooch; 06/15/17 03:37 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

You have your history lesson correct. But it is "cache" of arms, not "cash" of arms.. James Julia, and RIA with their "cash intensive" gun auction pricing hadn't yet appeared- $253 Large for a 1930 era Parker 20 bore grade A-l special-- et al.

OK, enough of the auction based world - except that the antis view the Parker 20 in the same light as they do the "evil black rifles"- ergo- "guns kill people, guns are bad, ban them and the evil acts will stop.

I mention that 20 Parker, after reading the article in recent edition of SS magazine, because when Madison declared for the individual right of the free citizenry to bear arms, such a fine example of a shotgun designed to kill game birds awing was not conceived yet in Colonial America--

I also am betting that the "deep pocketed" Parker collector who purchased it will not be dragging it through the New England grouse and woodcock coverts this coming October- possibly his well-worn 20 VHE (a la Burton Spiller )and that he is not of the mindset that would cause him to cut down the barrels of that 20 A-1 Special and use it rob at gunpoint a neighborhood 7-11.

Just as the First Amendment grants us Freedom of Speech; does not grant a misfit license to yell: "FIRE" in a crowded movie theater, to incite a pandemonium event for his own sick enjoyment, so does the Second Amendment, perhaps tacitly under the "Well Regulated Militia" phrasing, allude to today's CPL for handguns, and the NICS for purchased from licensed gun dealers.

We all have heard it said that the Founding Fathers didn't visualize guns like the: M-1 Garand, Winchester Model 12, Browning A-5, AK-47's, German MP-38 and MG-42 full auto weapons, and the list goes on. To that I reply-- neither did they visualize: Airplanes, submarines, automobiles with automatic transmissions and air conditioning, suburbs, Wal-Marts!!

To wrap it up--we need a better way to screen out the psychos that can somehow circumvent the existing gun laws, and in that effort, not penalize the law-abiding citizenry- both the gent that took that Parker 20 home, and the plumber in Peoria who wants to carry a pistol for his personal protection, as well as for his home and family.

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 06/15/17 04:11 PM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

I will promise all Canadians, King included, that there are no "unreported" shootings or killings in our fair country. We report all shootings and killings just like they do north of the border. He doesn't like our country for our freedom and lack of crazy attitudes about personal rights, but I am willing to live south of the border and let him live north.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I played a mean first base once I reached maturity and signed up for the Fort Lee Virginia team in 1969. I was less than competent when I was a young fellow. However, I have always loved the game and still do.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just by showing up in DC with the guns in his van, was the progressive loon not already guilty of a series of felonies?

If I had been unemployed for as long as this bozo had been, my wife would help me load the van, and not care in the least where I went, what I took, or if I came back.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
....We all have heard it said that the Founding Fathers didn't visualize guns like the....

....To that I reply-- neither did they visualize....

Maybe, the best reply is to tell the progressive loons that if they want to fundamentally change the country, then they should put together enough support to amend the Constitution. If it's up to visualizing, they are gonna see things any way they feel like.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Apparently he legally obtained a CPL in his hometown in Illinois- But it goes without saying the DC police would not recognize it as being valid in the "Disney on the Potomac" environs-- Living is a van for a month in that highly populated area--no restroom except at a tavern he apparently frequented-- No hygiene there--

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

As do it. I played second base in both Jr. HS and HS-- spent two weeks one summer in the 1950's as a guest of some family friends who lived in Framingham, MA- they had a summer cottage in Situate (sic) on the ocean, and their next-door summer neighbor was Dom DiMaggio- "Joltin' Joe's brother who played the Red Sox- my host family's son-my age, Bobby McPhearson and I played catch with Dom on his off-days-great guy. Bobby's dad was the editor of the Framingham Gazette, if memory serves, and talked a lot about Hemingway and his first start as a reporter-

Good enough to suit up, not quite good enough to get scouted for the "Bigs"-- but the love of the game, like my deep interest in Hemingway, as lasted all my life. Best example of baseball and the statistics that make up its raison d'entre-- Casey "Stinky" Stengel-- his words: "Well, you can always look it up somewhere in the book"!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

back in the mid thirties, we had a problem with criminal misuse of certain classes of firearms...the solution to the problem then was the federal firearms act of 1934...criminals no longer misuse those firearms, due to lack of availability...is it now time in restrict certain high capacity semi auto firearms, by amending the existing legislation that has worked for so long?

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ed, are you living under a rock?!!!

Page 2 of 19 1 2 3 4 18 19

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.