March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (SKB, Jimmy W), 890 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,016
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 19 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 18 19
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: pooch
Originally Posted By: King Brown
If what you say is accurate, our provincial government couldn't have abdicated its responsibilities at the request of a rural provincial landowners organization of which I'm president, acclaimed the most radical institutional change on the continent.I We're the fastest growing FSC group in Canada, third and fourth in growth and size in North America, winner of the distinguished global prize in 2014 for sustainable forestry by the Rainforest Alliance. We make the rules, pooch. The people who own the land make the rules, kowtow to no one.

King you got to be making this stuff up as you go. If true you FSC boys need to get out more and listen to your propaganda less. Everybody in Canada dances to the tunes played in Toronto and Montreal. The politicians are buying the votes from the loafers of the cities with the taxes of those Canadians living outside of Quebec and Ontario. That's sex without kisses.

Funny how an American from Texas is capable of schooling King on how King's country actually works. Well done sir.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Home never is all we thought it was, lonesome. We leave home for opportunities, knowing we'll come back but when we do it's not the same, as Tom Wolfe told us in You Can't Go Home Again. We've changed as everything else has changed. But it's still a hunting and fishing paradise. Although Nova Scotia is the earliest settled of Canada I caught brook trout Monday in a Cape Breton Highlands pond where no one ever wet a line. Stuff dreams are made of.

Sidelock
Sidelock

James, please tell him where the money is really coming from under our federal equalization arrangement, and it's not from the eastern part of Canada, former powerhouses of Ontario and Quebec often living from charity of the West, as are all four Atlantic provinces.

Sidelock
Sidelock

James, here's your province of Ontario as in and out of being a have-not province, including an explanation of our equalization system that provides a national standard of services across the country, or close to it. From the Conference Board of Canada national forecast, in part, last May.

"Ontario is set to once again become a “have” province. However, because of expected growth in the federal equalization envelope, along with the use of lagged data in the formula, it is unlikely that Ontario will be cut off immediately.

"Over the next three fiscal years the Ontario government will lose all of its equalization payments. The reason for the expected drop-off has less to do with booming growth in Ontario, and more to do with the poor economic performance in Alberta, Newfoundland and Labrador, and Saskatchewan—three of Canada’s four have provinces (the fourth is British Columbia).

"Equalization was created to address fiscal disparities among the provinces. The calculations for equalization payments are based on the average fiscal capacity of a province (its ability to generate revenues) and where that province lies relative to the average of all provinces. If a province finds itself below the average, it is deemed a “have not.”

"These provinces then receive transfers from the federal government to bring their per capita fiscal capacity in line with the average across Canada. Over the last decade, resource-rich provinces such as Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Newfoundland and Labrador have driven up the average fiscal capacity, pushing Ontario below the threshold for the first time in 2009–10.

"Based on our forecasts of provincial and national economic growth, Ontario will return to have status starting in 2018–19 when its fiscal capacity rises above the average. Based on the current equalization formula, Ontario would then lose all of its equalization payments.

"Despite being technically a have province after 2017–18, we expect Ontario will continue to receive a portion of these extra funds, preventing a complete loss of all equalization payments in 2018–19. Still, we expect that Ontario will lose about $800 million in 2018–19 and the remaining $1 billion in 2019–20."

Newfoundland and Labrador, of course, has been in an out from with its fortunes from oil. And remember those PIP grants? Canada paid the full cost of every dry well by the Seven Sisters until they struck it big with Hibernia. My brother was marine engineer on the rig.

Sidelock
Sidelock

King I doubt many state here would miss $800 million as much as you might in Canada. Heck most states waste that on feel good programs alone to keep the large population centers happy. Read that as graft and give away to our Democrats most needy programs.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's time Canada started being a Nation. If it is as I understand it, their system is dreadful. Heavily slanted toward urban Provenances and, In my opinion out of date and not representing the people

The Parliament (like our Congress) is voted on by the people. The Provinces with the greatest population will have the greatest number of parliamentarians. The Parliament nominates the Prime Minister to head of government who is like our President but is not elected by the people but by the majority party of Parliament. The Prime Minister advises the Canadian Sovereign (which happens to be Queen Elizabeth of England). There is an upper house which is similar to our Senate. Instead of being elected by the people to represent their Province they selected by the Prime Minister to serve a life term in office or until they are 75. The number of Senators each province allowed is not a fixed number like our system (2 per state)but is allotted to each Province according to its population.

In Canada if a Party from an urban area gets into power. They will control not only the Parliament but the Prime Minister (the executive branch) and the upper house (Senate). The advantage is to the urban areas with the greater population who tend to be more liberal and wanting more freebees.

The self sufficient Canadian land owner we grew up loving is a vanishing breed and is increasingly becoming disenfranchised.

Last edited by pooch; 06/16/17 10:56 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm not much into politics,I avoid the conversation if at all possible - the frustration of it all is too damn aggravating ...I do obviously read the political rants here and other places ... I find it interesting reading the views of others ...but King my friend, one thing I did notice in your post was the statement of Nova Scotia being the earliest(European ) settled province ...I've always been led to believe that title went to Newfoundland -I mean the boys with the horns on their head were in L'anse Meadows quite a while ago ...and i'm pretty sure the sign heading into St .Johns reads welcome to " " the oldest city in North america ...its been recorded as settled since 1519.

All that being said ,I get exactly where you're coming from,I'm trout fishing most every evening, all wild-no stocked fish ,it is definitely something I dream about smile

Last edited by CJ Dawe; 06/17/17 07:01 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Democratic Party in the United States is nothing less than a legalized Terrorist/Communist Organization that's embedded itself in our political system.

Why is this "Stop Trump" movement not being looked at as a terrorist organization.....any group trying to undermine our government is a terrorist organization.

Sidelock
Sidelock

laugh King, I'm not sure how an explanation of Ontario's have or have-not status under our byzantine and idiotic equalization program is germane to anything in this thread. So I won't be going there today.

I did, however read an interesting column in the NYT yesterday pointing out that if Democrats blamed the Arizona shooting on the Tea Party 6 years ago, then the Republicans were certainly justified in blaming the over the top anti Trump Democrats and popular media for this shooting. But, being the NYT, that wasn't really the point.

The point the The Times was trying to make was that it was wrong then and it's wrong now to link those events to one political movement or another.

How disingenuous of them! Live off the one for 6 years, as they admitted to doing in the column but now that the shoe is on the other foot, well, we all better just shut up and leave it to the mental health experts.

Just one of the problems in that line of reasoning is that while the guy six years ago had a full history of mental problems, our anti Republican guy currently has no history of mental health issues.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chris, you're absolutely correct. I forgot the Norsemen who ranged from your Northern Peninsula and made homes to, it's said, poking around Liverpool, Nova Scotia, and Massachusetts. Europeans who stayed or settled came hundreds of years later. I don't know how we ever got started on Columbus "sailing the ocean blue in 1492."

It pleases that you corrected me on this because careless history should have no place in public discourse. What makes it worse, as you know well, Newfoundlanders are my favoured Canadians and their home my favourite province. The Chancellor of McGill, Cyril James, told me years ago Newfoundlanders were the smartest Canadians.

Page 11 of 19 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 18 19

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.