March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Travis S), 251 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,976
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#482727 06/14/17 07:42 AM
PALUNC Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

OK I did something rather odd. I love decoying doves and since I hunt them alone throughout the season I have to do something to get them within reach of the Perazzi.
So I went and ordered me a pigeon magnet from the UK and in the process of rigging it up.
I would like to hear from our friends over there how well the magnet actually works.

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, I can testify that it works like gangbusters on pigeons. Spinning wings work ok on doves, although they make birds come in too low for my comfort on a group shoot.

My intuition says it would be too much motion for mourning doves. Let us know how it works out for you!...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a Mojo dove setup on a pole that raises it 14' off the ground. I can set it up either in the center of the field or along the side in the middle of a natural v in the hedge row. It works too good sometimes. I've had dove try to land on the decoy for a little love action. Funny thing is that after several days the dove will wise up and shy away from the Mojo. I guess the dumb one are on the grill by then. Decoys still work as long as they don't move too much.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a Mojo and a few decoys set out near Lake Oconee and an eagle swept down and tried to grab my Mojo! Bobby

Sidelock
Sidelock

I always spend the last couple of weeks before the September dove opener checking fields to decide where to shoot. The commotion of a few thousand mourning doves in the stalks of a sunflower field would make you think that too much motion wouldn't deter the birds. Experience dictates otherwise...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Geo motion helps early with ducks but by the seasons end mojo decoys are danger flags to ducks. I like them for the first few days in dove season but tend to shut them down or use a add on a friend made for them which allows the wings to cycle for a few turns and then stop for five seconds. Gives the impression of a dove flying along in a lazy manner. Just beating enough to go a little farther. Heck mojos work too well at getting birds down low. That's why I put mine up high. Rather have a dove buzzy him up 15' than at two feet. Safety first on those low birds.

PALUNC Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've watched videos on using these pigeon magnets and they seem to work well. I already have a pole that I place decoys on along with some flappers and some doves I place in and around the field.
I usually put up a blind as well.
When hunting large fields after opening day you need something to get their attention.
The pigeon magnet is rather inexpensive now and shipped to me rather quickly. Just another thing I want to try.
Dove hunting is my favorite and doing it with decoys adds a special level to it.

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

Did you ever decide to go all the way over the top. One year I saved 20 or so late season doves and stored them in the freezer. That set the feathers a little extra. Then I skinned them one by one and mounted them on a old tv antenna I salvaged. Ended up with ten stuffers mounted on that antenna that I would put up a rig 30' in the dove field. It was a true dove magnet. Space was left open to allow real birds to land and rest. Sometimes there were almost as many live birds as stuffed one on that rig. The mounted birds only lasted a couple years but while I had them it was great. Truth is that I enjoyed the off season work as much as the in season work.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The high pole works great for the dove Mojos, but nothing works as certain with a Mojo as setting it up on top of the pipeline of a center pivot. Unreal good with two or three plastic ones lined up on either side.

Not all fields we shoot are irrigated, however, and the two piece pole Gil gave me works like a charm where there isn't a pivot.

79 days and counting.
https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/ge...r&font=slab

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, next best thing to center pivot plumbing is a fake powerline. I've hunted two fields where the owners installed dummy powerlines down the fields' centers. Not up to Floyd's artistic standards, but here are two powerline decoys I whittled out of wood from tupelo gum buttswells. I tie mono to the eyebolt and toss'em over the line and pull them up where they snug on top and stake out the loose end. They work just as well with eyebolt on top and snugged tight just below the line. Good to hear you find use for the system I gave you. Gil

See what I mean about "artistic standards"? Even the shotshells and shell box are carved and painted wood.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.