April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (j7l2, Steve Nash, canvasback, cpa, earlyriser, 1 invisible), 498 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,473
Posts545,160
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

R'Man;
Thanks for the compliment. My math skills are nowhere near yours though. During my working career as a machinist outside of just plain arithmetic I used more trig than anything. Trig of course doesn't come into play here.
I had just assumed that taking that median diameter times half the metal removed from the diameter differences would be a close approximation. had not realized it would in fact be exact.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I appreciate all the comments here and deeply appreciate Rocketman and 2-Piper's math skills. My worst subject. A passing grade for yours truly was an act of charity by my high school math teacher!

Rich
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
Hi all;
I did a bit of further checking. My close Estimated method of taking the median diameter of the old bore size & new bore size times Pi times thickness of metal removed "Per Side" times length of bore thus enlarged is actually not a reasonable estimate. It is in fact Spot on & 100% accurate for the Cu Inches of metal removed. Sort of surprised Rocketman didn't call me on this one, guess he was just being his normal kind self.

Quite often there is more than one way to figure something. For instance when I figure the area of a circle I normally use πDČ/4 rather than the normally quoted πRČ. Answer is the same both ways as R = D/2 then RČ = DČ/4.

smile My reports think I'm from the stone age calculating on my trusty HP-41CX. (formerly C then CV)...as for area of circle formula I prefer to cut to the chase and go with pi r2 the only issues I have is dealing with inches as I work in decimal feet. 276' diameter tanks are a lot of inches eek

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken;
I can't say for certain but I would assume when working with a tank that size you would not be dealing in cubic inches, but cubic feet or even cubic yards. the formula works identically for any unit of measurement as long as you keep all components on the same scale. Thus if you use feet for the diameter you have to also use feet for the length/height of the tank.
As to Pi xDČ/4 versus Pi x RČ they are of course the exact same formula. As R = D/2 then (D/2)Č DČ/4. When I am using this area formula I will normally be working with a diameter rather than a radius so I just Sq the D & divide by 4 rather than divide D by 2 & sq the result. Multiply by Pi either way. Exact same number of keystrokes on my faithful Casio Calculator.
I have absolutely not the Foggiest idea where that &#960 came from. I held down the alternate key & typed 227 & the Pi symbol came up. When I post every time it has thrown in that &#960 instead. I have gone back & edited & used the letters Pi instead of the symbol. The listing I have for these says to hold Alt & the Windows symbol but for ages I have only held the alt key & it has always worked. As a test I am going to try Alt & Win then 227 & see if it transports OK.
Test = π
Obviously that's not the problem, When I typed it in it came up with the Pi symbol plain as Day but when I send it comes out this GobbledeeGobble.

Miller/TN
Sidelock
Sidelock

Miller,

If I were using your Casio I would most certainly end up with an incorrect answer. For better than forty years I've used nothing be HP calculators that utilize RPN (Reverse Polish Notation) logic. (X enter y +) to use a normal calculator like yours (x+y=)
I struggle. All good!! smile

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

It is certainly fascinating to see the turmoil a grade school level calculation can cause.

I suspect the root cause is that this is the "pie are round" contingent.

I hope none of you work for NASA

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well I never worked directly for NASA but I built or helped build a pile of test models that ended up in Nasa wind tunnels in my career. I once on this board made the statement that areas of bores were proportional to the Square of their diameters. Some very Brilliant Mathematician posted back they were not proportional to their diameters but their radius. Duh , since the radius is diameter/2 if they are proportional to one they are proportional to the other.
Sometimes you just have to get down & Basic to make people understand that you can work from the diameter same as the radius if you use the proper figures.

Ken;
Never did like those RPN calculators. I started also over 4o years ago (was one of the first machinists in our shop to have a calculator) with a "Normal" calculator & learned to use it. I got on the Casio's due to their trig functions. I worked with a lot of angles which were often given in degrees, minutes & seconds. The Casio was to the best of my knowledge the first reasonably priced calculator which allowed you to take a trig function directly form an angle entered as ° ' " . Most others of the early times if I wanted to take the Sine say of 15° 30' I would enter 15.30 but would then have to convert to 15.5 before taking the function. The Casio was simply much easier to work with & once I got to using them I just stayed with them even after other makers upgraded to the same method of doing the trig. .

Miller/TN
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Wonko the Sane
It is certainly fascinating to see the turmoil a grade school level calculation can cause.

I suspect the root cause is that this is the "pie are round" contingent.

I hope none of you work for NASA

Actually what I should have said was that I'm glad none of you worked for me.

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bottom line was a poster here wanted to know how much weight he could remove by enlarging the bore of his Shotgun. I figured it for him. Any problem with that.??
I do "VERY HIGHLY" suspect you are not near as Glad I never worked for you as "I AM".

Miller/TN
Sidelock
Sidelock

Miller,thank you very much for providing the figure of 4.7ozs per .010" of steel? It is a valuable piece of knowledge to use when evaluating vintage guns.

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.