April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Mark II, dukxdog, Ian Forrester, 3 invisible), 1,065 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,434
Posts544,719
Members14,402
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

I may have missed it, where is the current center of balance for the gun?

Did you get the gun sleeved or did you sleeve it? (if you sleeved it what was the weight before the sleeving?)

Does the gun currently have a butt pad and if so what kind is it?

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Leave it alone! Particularly so if it is shooting straight. You start screwing with the barrels you might as well take a hammer to it. If you don't like it trade it off for a different gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rich only stated this was a Vintage gun. He did not list country of origin or where it was sleeved. If it is a US gun, Sleeved in the US, it was Never "In Proof".

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

"sleeved barrels being "heavier" is: are they really?"

Depends on what tubes are installed and what profiles are chosen. Modern high strength steels can give light and strong barrels assuming the installer wants to do some lathe work.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Richard, I have done a lot of research on shotgun handling, particularly, quantification thereof. I am working on a similar project, except a SXS sporting clays gun. I'll offer to share theories and learnings if you are so inclined.

Research tells me that handling fit should be thought of much like stock fit. The dimensions of handling are weight, balance (teeter-totter point), unmounted swing effort and mounted swing effort. We have weight. We need the length in inches from the teeter-totter point to the (front) trigger. I can SWAG a unmounted swing effort from the data base and calculate a SWAG mounted swing effort. If you have access to a typical Brit game gun you can feel the handling of a profile of about: 6 1/2# weight, 4 1/2" balance point to trigger, 1.45 unmounted and 6.4 mounted. A M-94 Winchester carbine is a fair surrogate for a game gun. If you don't have access to either of those, describe a gun you do have and I'll SWAG it.

2-p gave good info on weight change. With original balance, we can calculate new balance and new swings for various proposed weight and weight location changes. BTW, balance is not some magic number. It is a characteristic of each gun and can be changed by weight change or weight location change. The number should be what you as an individual shooter like/shoot well.

If you think this is helpful, post back.

DDA

Last edited by Rocketman; 05/28/17 12:04 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Shotgunlover
"sleeved barrels being "heavier" is: are they really?"

Depends on what tubes are installed and what profiles are chosen. Modern high strength steels can give light and strong barrels assuming the installer wants to do some lathe work.

That sleeved barrels "ruin a gun's balance" is a myth. The sleeves can be bored and struck to whatever the shooter's heart desires and his wallet will pay for. The far bigger problem is communicating to the gunmaker what is desired. I am currently working on what we need to tell the gunmaker to have a reasonable hope of getting about what we want.

DDA

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with Rocketman, a sleeving job by a competent gunsmith can mimic original gun balance. Kirk Merrington replicated the original proof weight of a pair of barrels on a Belgian near perfectly and the gun came back balancing beautifully.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

With respect to weight removal from the barrels, I had a 12 proofed Greener hammer gun that had .783 bores as a result of extensive honing. Although it still had acceptable wall thickness, it was extremely light and whippy on the barrel end and stock heavy. My only point is that you can remove a significant amount of weight from the barrels through honing, but results may be somewhat unpredictable.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My old Omega weighs 3.5oz so if you have a heavy wristwatch you might want to just take that off and save the bore job.

just a thot

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rocketman,would you please expound further on SWAG.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.