April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (SKB, Replacement, Ted Schefelbein, LeFusil, montenegrin), 398 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,147
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

That's a great gun good job!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: bsteele
Rob, did we meet at Tulsa and not know it?

I have not been to Tulsa....

Rob

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ok - I had 2 17's on my table and a guy stopped by and looked them over pretty close. He told me he had a 2 barrel set numbers matching field gun. Can't be too many of those running around.

Great gun on the original post too! That is just the way you want to find them!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Two thumbs up on this one, Bushmaster. I love that gun.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Very nice condition, wood and a steal of a price.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I bought my copy on September 17th, of 1977 for 50 whole dollars. It came from my late Father's deer hunting partner, a man I believe is still living and in his mid 90s. That would have been bait collecting money, I dug worms and caught crickets for pocket money when I was a kid. Mine had a cut stock, with about a 3" extension, and a hard-as-a-rock Pachmeyer pad on it, along with a vented Cutts. Both had to go.
Stan Baker eliminated the Cutts, cutting the barrel far enough back to get away from the bend that is part of a Cutts installation-I wanted a grouse and woodcock gun anyway. It came back 21" long, with two of his choke tubes, that he selected for the job at hand-I was about 19 when he worked on it, and glad to have his guidance. He included a Baker wrench for the tubes, fresh blue, on the barrel (all I sent him was the barrel) and a polished bore, one of his signature operations. I've never seen bores that compare to the job Stan Baker did.
I refinished the stock and put a new recoil pad on it at the cut length. I've had it long enough that it is on recoil pad number two under my ownership.
I bought a second 26" modified barrel for it off Ebay, from a parts gun from a gent in New Orleans. I also found, after using it for perhaps 30 seasons, a lefty safety, something I really could have used in an earlier part of my life. I might have simply stayed with the 17, if I hadn't had to fart around getting the safety off when I was hunting. But, the seed was already planted for aquiring a Darne, by the time the model 17 came along. The second barrel needs to be blued, it lived a really hard life, and bolted right up to the gun, with correct headspace, when I got it. Thank you, Eli Whitney. You 'da man.
I haven't fired it in a long time. But, I will. The last conversation I had with Steve Bodio, found him further into the grip of Parkinson's, and down to a Darne clone, a glass bedded LC Smith twelve that "handled like a Purdey", according to him, and a phenomenal little pump gun he had just discovered, that he wanted to tell me all about-the Remington model 17.

I told him he was a little late to the party.

I introduced Lloyd to my copy, and he informed me that "pictures don't do it justice". Mine was used as a loaner, and a gun safety trainer for many years, it has been used pretty hard, actually. I've killed buckets of grouse, woodcock, and pheasants with it. Weight, with the long rusty barrel, and the recoil pad, is 5 lbs, 14 ozs. With the longer barrel, and 2 or 3 rounds of ammunition in the chamber and magazine, it is a superb handling and balanced gun. With the short barrel, I actually stand a chance, taking a poke at early season grouse.
Do enjoy your new to you gun. Photo enclosed of my copy:

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a minty delux 17 with the solid rib. What a wonderful pump. My first real bird gun was my grandfather's old 17 clunker. Still have it but I've moved on to doubles but often miss those early innocent days when one shot whatever was available and never thought about all the nuances we now think are so important.....

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

You guys are torturing me here. This one is still available and I don't have a 17 at the moment.

IMHO, the ultimate upland pumpgun.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Lloyd3
You guys are torturing me here. This one is still available and I don't have a 17 at the moment.

IMHO, the ultimate upland pumpgun.

Don't blame us for YOUR screwup-you HAD a beauty. Bet you think twice, before you do that, again.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Barrel code is "KZ" for May 1931
Choke marked "Full"

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.