April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (bsteele, Jerry G, Jimmy W, buckstix, Marplot, 1 invisible), 356 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,790
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

It's been several years since I came here inquiring about an old German Drilling I'd picked up, and I still haven't found anyone to help repair it. I've been thinking about finding a different drilling in shooting order, just so I have something to play with until the first project one is fixed. I came across a gun very similar to mine, except the rifle barrel is (supposedly) chambered in 9.3x82R.

I already have ammo and brass for 9.3x72R. I took a look at schematics of both rounds and they seem very similar except for the length. Can you shoot 9.3x72 ammo out of a 9.3x82 chambered gun? I'm assuming the extra centimeter of bullet jump won't help accuracy, but would it be unsafe?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Possum,
What you are proposing was often done when 9.3x82 brass was unattainable. Other than the accuracy problem you mentioned, I don't recall any real problems. I would think you might need to anneal the case necks more often. I think brass is available from Bertram, check companies representing them in the US. Remind us, what was the problem with the other drilling?
Mike

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Good to know, and thanks for the info. I asked because I have not been able to locate any 9.3x82 Nimrod brass yet. Bertram does sell 9.3x82R Basic brass, but I'm assuming it would first need to be full-length sized in the proper dies to form the body taper (they don't show a picture of it). Since those dies are so expensive, I was hoping to find something that would already fit into the chamber, and just neck size with other dies for reloading. Maybe.

The drilling I acquired several years ago has a cracked frame, and so far I've not found anyone willing to risk welding it up for me. It has been a long time since I welded anything, so I was hoping to find a pro. The spring for the underlever also broke, and I fashioned a new one from a scrap piece of L6 steel, but I still need to heat treat it.

Looks like the pictures are gone now, but I asked about that gun in this thread: Drilling ID

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

My first question would be is the 9.3 X 82 the straight case or the Thieme & Schlegelmilch Nimrod version? Reason I ask is my T&S in 9.3 X 75R Nimrod is a bottleneck case. Unless I'm mistaken, entirely possible, the Nimrod cases were proprietary and bottlenecked. If you haven't I believe I'd do a chamber cast first. If you have and know obviously I am out of line and apologize.

For brass Graf's has 9.3 X 82R in stock. Pricey but they have it. I used it to form my 9.3 X 75R Nimrod....very carefully at that price!!

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/825?

Last edited by sharps4590; 03/24/17 06:50 AM.

NRA Benefactor 2008
NRA Patron 2007
NRA Endowment 1996
NRA Life 1988
Ger Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, you can do it, not unsafe, the difference is only the length, also 9,3 x 57R/360long, 9,3 x 65R Collath, 9,3 x 70R, 9,3 x 80T Collath possible. The only problem is when you do it very often the chamber will be burn out.

http://www.municion.org/9_3/Nimrod.htm

Sidelock
Sidelock

This guy might be the one to do your welding. It's worth a call.

http://www.restorativewelding.com/Welcome.html

Regards
Ken

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

the possum,
Be advised that any welded receiver is cause for rejection by the German Proof Houses. Of course I know the drilling is not located in Germany and will not be subject to mandatory proofing. Just be very cautious and evaluate the potential effects of welding the receiver. Also, you should evaluate the probable cause of the crack, in the first place. I have one that is also cracked, and I am convinced it cracked by shooting the shotgun rather than the rifle, as one would naturally suppose. This one is a 12 ga which naturally has short chambers. In addition to the centerline of 12 ga. chambers being higher than 16 ga. would be(creating a longer "lever arm" to transmit forces to the receiver through a larger "piston"), it also has a tight bore, as often found in 12 ga. drillings( often with 13 or 13/1 ga barrel). I think using 2 3/4" high pressure shells could have been the cause of the crack. Also,it has a "D" chamber which makes it unlikely that easily available 9.3X72R Norm. was used in it. You might evaluate yours, considering these or similar factors.
Mike

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.