April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (graybeardtmm3, Chad Linder, JBG, 4 invisible), 967 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,106
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13
Sidelock
Sidelock

"Jerry V. Lape," your experience with the Gambel's quail when using your Parker 20-bore gun comports with my field experiences with that bore, and also respecting the cited choke borings, sizes of shot, and shot weight choices.

I agree as well regarding simple choke designations when such markings are compared to actual results determined by patterning the barrels and witnessing the demonstrated effectiveness of all selected elements afield. I too believe that to-day's "modified" or 1/2-choke constricted guns shoot "as well at distance as most full chokes." My bore size selections for use in the field, whether that day's selection is a 20-, 16- or 12-bore, intentionally use, as nearly as possible, the same dram equivalence, as well as charges of shot size and shot weight, in combination with 1/4-choke and half-choke constrictions, which, if all is approximately equal, will deliver very similar results through whatever bore employed. Perhaps some machine or a published table could reveal a difference, but in actual use and result, I cannot.

It may be that sometimes those of us who once used older constructs of shot-cartridges for upland game employing less efficient felt wads and overshot cards forget that modern one-piece plastic wads surrounding and fully protecting the shot as all passes down the barrel is known to increase the percentage of pellets striking a game bird within effective range and / or a patterning target at 30- or 40-yards. The improvement in my shooting and successes afield, I am persuaded, is mainly attributable to my beginner's use some years ago and continued use to-day of the one-piece plastic wad, and must therefore prefer it to nostalgia-imbued ammunition. Moreover, if we possess an 'older' (shot)gun manufactured before the introduction of the plastic wad during the 1960's, the manufacturer's choke marking (if we assume such stampings were ever truly indicative of pattern percentage) will not realistically indicate the level of choke achieved when using the modern plastic-wadded cartridges. Though it is not known to me whether the manufacturers ever changed their designations to match the mechanical, practical effects caused by the modern one-piece plastic wad or not.

In most cases, use of the now common and ubiquitous one-piece plastic wad will have the practical and obviously positive ballistic effect of effectually increasing the gun barrel's constriction or choke and will thereby increase the effective range of the gun using it. So when we say the gun's choke is such and such points or degree of, perhaps we should also 'ratchet-up' the word designation for the affected constriction from, say, "modified" to "improved modified" to accord with true performance. Just food for thought.

Best of luck to all during the upcoming hunting season! Please enjoy your vintage and antique side-by-side guns to the maximum by taking and using them afield!

Best regards,

Edwardian

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just gonna bring this amazing thread back to life

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great thread. All we need now is pics of favorite guns.
BillK

Sidelock
Sidelock

BillK,
Well okay then, here you go. My 12 ga. Browning BSS-SL choked IC/MOD that I've used for almost everything. I also have one in 20 ga., but this one just seems to be my go to almost every time.
Karl

Last edited by Karl Graebner; 04/12/17 10:02 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Love the straight grain and tight scroll!

Owen
Sidelock
Sidelock

Many of us SxS heathens use the 12 gauge for everything. Its easy to handload 7/8 ounce for dove, 1 ounce for quail, and 1-1/4 ounce for pheasant.

[/URL]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gold40

Many of us SxS heathens use the 12 gauge for everything. Its easy to handload 7/8 ounce for dove, 1 ounce for quail, and 1-1/4 ounce for pheasant.

[/URL]

That looks like HVA 300 series shotgun. Very good shotgun at least twice as good as Sterlingworth at half the price (few years ago when HVAs appeared on our shores in good numbers). Yes as someone above mentioned 12ga is the king. Best selection of guns & ammo from very light to very heavy.

Sidelock
Sidelock

How would you know the HVA 300 shotgun is "at least twice as good as Sterlingworth at half the price" Jagermeister?

Do you own one?

Oh, that's right... you don't own any double shotguns. Not even a cheap Crescent or Belgian Clunker Hardware Store Gun. And you actually RENT a cheap Chinese .22LR bolt action rifle.

You are nothing but a tire-kicker who has to put relatively cheap guns on layaway, and then later backs out of the deal. How many times have you done that just in recent months?

Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
At one time or another but not at same time I had several guns on layaway. A 20ga Ithaca NID, Ithaca Deluxe Solid Rib ca.1955, 16ga Browning Citori, Remington 870 Police Magnum. I have chosen not to complete sale on any of those.

And you even lied to us about the Remington 870 by telling us that you actually bought it. But why would we be surprised when you also got busted in your lies about owning an Ithaca Mod. 37 Trench Gun which turned out to be a late model short barreled Ithaca 37 3" magnum with choke tubes, or your lies about owning a second Ithaca Model 37 short barreled pump?

Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
I have developed "sweet tooth" for police shotguns. I found another Police Magnum with six shot tube, XS frond sight and Scattergun Technologies rear ghost ring. I wish I could stop buying them, but I can't. I do not know how to stop myself. Still looking for perfect classic SxS for myself. Shopping for one is fun, but once I find exactly what I need at fair price I will be done with buying double guns unless I find rifle in calibers like 7x57R, 7x65R, 9,3x54R, .30-40 Krag, .30-30, or .303 British.

Oh yeah Jagermeister, we all believe you. We all believe that a sad, sorry, pathetic internet troll who can't afford to buy his own Chinese bolt action .22 will be buying a double rifle in any of the aforementioned calibers. Better you should go on a forum where you can discuss your stuffed toy animal collection.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Owen,
Thanks for the kind statements. I reach for this one most often.
Gold,
I use 1 oz. for everything due to the fact it weighs 6 1/2 lbs. and adjust to yhe quarry through shot selection in 5-6-7-8.
I've used the 20 ga. BSS-SL and the baby framed Merkel 28 ga., but this one resides at the front of the safe.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

My go-to 12 bore A&D box lock is choked cyl/lt mod 6 lbs 3oz. I have a 16 bore 30" sidelock 2 1/2" circa 1900 choked skeet/mod 6lbs 1 oz. incoming. I am really excited about trying it out on the pattern board in a month or so. My DMB-RA is 16 bore, 6 lbs 1oz. Choked skeet/ic. Anyone see a pattern here? These three will be competing cor hunt time in the fall.

Owen
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.