April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Argo44, David Williamson, graybeardtmm3, Jimmy W, 2 invisible), 440 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,479
Posts545,209
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mark Dube,

Well there you have it...clearly stamped "G" but very definitely NOT a G. I have a G right in that serial range and it has only a single line engraved around each plate. Unlike others comments, I cant say i have ever seen a gun with a frame stamp that seemed wrong...only barrel stamps.

I am definitely NOT of the opinion that any gun with a letter on the barrels was assembled by Ithaca. There are way too many of these. Frankly, I think people way overestimate the number of Ithaca guns. And the Ithaca guns have several hallmarks which tip them off, as explained by Buck Hamlin in an LACA newsletter, and at least one DGJ arricle, as I recall.

Also i believe the Ithaca assembled guns don't start to sprinkle in until roughly the 38xxx range, per the LACA.

Neat gun!

- Nudge

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think we may all be over thinking Lefevers. I doubt they ever had a large inventory completed and sitting on hand waiting for orders. If a customer wanted a F grade I can see them taking a G grade and having the engraving upgraded to F style. After all F and G were the same basic gun. Perhaps they just got an order for a G grade with F grade engraving. I'm sure they accommodated special orders all the time. Might have done the upgrade for just a couple dollars more.

The gun looks all original to me so I think whatever was done to blur the G-F grade was done at the factory intentionally to fill an quick order or fill a special order. Could have been as simple as getting an order for a gun with F grade engraving and only G grades were on hand. No need to build one just alter this one. Maybe they upgraded the engraving to close the deal.

Last edited by KY Jon; 04/11/17 09:50 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Or it could have been a simple misunderstanding by the engraver.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Or perhaps it was intended to be an ungraded Lefever "Presentation" gun and someone simply failed to read the order? With Lefever guns one guess as to "why things is" is as good as another.
And may I add a case in point, as about 2 years ago I purchased a later vintage Ithaca production DS Grade 12-bore Lefever; which I purchased because it was so danged odd. The gun was in all respects a G grade gun with standard G grade Damascus barrels, dolls head rib extension, and cocking indicators; otherwise it was DS quality with no engraving, plain wood, and standard DS checkering pattern. The gun wasn't perfect; but was in extremely good condition, and had never seen any hard usage. When I told Buck Hamlin about this Lefever he said he never seen another DS with those three features, and I allowed him to talk me out of that gun; but I still regret doing so.

Last edited by topgun; 04/11/17 03:32 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

A DS Grade with all of those G grade feature is another variation I have never seen. I can understand why you might regret letting it get away from you. I have a couple of the seldom seen DS Grades that are identical to H Grade Twist barreled guns, other than the grade stamp. This would also include LAC buttplates, and capped pistol grip stocks. But there is no reason to believe they were assembled that way by Ithaca from H grade parts.

I also agree with KY Jon that it is unlikely they ever had a large inventory of unsold guns on hand, or a large inventory of unfinished parts for that matter. This was a company that was having enough recurring financial problems that Dan Lefever was forced to take on investors and relinquish control to the Durston family. Shortages of parts probably led to many of the variations we see, when parts intended for a higher grade were used to complete an order. It is for this reason that I also agree with Miller and Nudge that far too many guns are attributed to Ithaca production just because they have some unusual features. I think it's absurd to believe that the Durstons had several years worth of unfinished parts on hand when they sold the Lefever name, equipment and the inventory to Ithaca. They were obviously more interested in ramping up production of automotive gears and transmissions than in expanding production of shotguns. But I have no more to back up that statement than those who continue to insist that Ithaca built a large percentage of the Syracuse Lefever type guns.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks guys!

That's precisely what I figured but as always your experience and references add credibility.

You also reminded me that the DGJ set sitting ignored in "cave" is due to be reviewed.

Keith, the right side is almost identical to the left, the wings on the "turnip" are posed slightly differently though.

Mark

Sidelock
Sidelock

At what approximate serial number did Ithaca start production of Lefevers?

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tamid,

It was the Lefever NAME that Ithaca was after.

While Ithaca did assemble some guns of the original Lefever Arms design (Dan Lefever's design), they did so primarily by piecing together guns from existing parts stock. How many of these they made is a source of debate among Lefever fans, but it was only a small percentage, and the serial numbers vary sporadically, but the earliest guns of Ithaca assembly are in the 38xxx range. But understand that that doesnt mean that Ithaca "took over" Lefever production at that point. It just means examples start to be peppered in starting in that range.

After finishing those Syracuse Lefevers there was a gap in time of a couple years before Ithaca then introduced a brand new line of guns of THEIR OWN design, which they "branded" Lefever Nitro Specials. They also made Lefever branded trap guns, and the short-lived "A-Grade."

See Walt Snyder's book for a breakdown of production and serial numbers, but suffice to say, aside from the small number of original side plate "Syracuse Lefevers" Ithaca assembled from parts (roughly circa 1916-1919), all of the "Lefever Arms Co" guns which say "Ithaca, NY" have absolutely nothimg to do with Dan Lefever, or any designs he ever created.

The owners of Ithaca were shrewd business men. They acquired the very best brand name of American doubles, and then used that name to sell the heck out of a mid-priced line of guns. In fact, Ithaca made roughly 4x the number of "Lefever" guns than Dan Lefever ever did.

Such was the value of Dan's name in those days. In earlier years Dan Lefever built the finest doubles in America.

- Nudge

Sidelock
Sidelock

It is noted that all Ithaca built "Lefever Arms Co" guns of Ithaca design both Nitro Special & A grade are numbered above 100,000.
I own the highest known numbered gun in the side plated series, unless another has surfaced recently. It is an Ithaca assembled gun, is H grade with DS wood. It has a different SN on the barrels & frame only 4 digits apart. Both appear to be over stamped from a previous number. One number is 73,038 & the other is 73,042. Without getting it out to look I forget which is on the barrels & which is on the frame. It has 28" "Best London Twist" barrels, is an extractor gun, but was fitted with an Infallible SST. I can't prove it but highly suspect this was done at the Ithaca factory. It has the doll's head, cocking indicators & late type scroll engraving on the side plates, & is stamped H.
The wood however I say is DS as it has no escutcheon or tip in the forend & the stock has an uncapped half pistol grip, both features of the DS grade.
Could be a "Lunch Box Special" for all I know.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

To the uninitiated how would one know if they were looking at an Ithaca assembled Lefever, an Ithaca produced Lefever or a Dan Lefever?

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.