Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#477236 04/07/17 01:25 PM
Nick. C Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A recent thread here caught my eye, it was the buyers market one. I had an idea that the market was down but was surprised to hear a story today. A gunshop owner I know was planning to sell a nice sidelock at auction, the well known auction house gave a valuation without even seeing the gun (which I thought was strange) the price given seemed a bit low so the shop owner questioned it, only to be told....
"English guns don't sell anymore"
A bit scary don't you think, up until recently, given that interest rates are at rock bottom over here, the advice was, buy a quality Brit gun for a sound investment.

Rust never sleeps !
Sidelock
Sidelock

Doesn't surprise me since fewer hunters are in the field, preferring the clay games where heavier guns are usually seen. Most of my Brit guns are just mid level boxlocks and I haven't seen those prices increase any in the past decade. (However, quality American guns continue to climb with collector demand.) Oh well, Brit shotguns are still the finest upland guns in the world. Never intended them to yield a return on investment anyhow.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Was just discussing with a friend, lot of very nice sidelocks floating around with good names being sold by dealers in the 6K range. Prices drop any more and I might have to actually buy one and elevate myself from the BLNE camp.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yeah . . . nice used SLE's out there for less than the price of new ones from Spain.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The small bore market seems fairly good for nice guns to me but the 12 market is differently very soft. Good guns are slow to sell and low level ones very hard to sell around here. A dealer friend has stopped taking doubles into his shop for consignment sales and what he offers for them in trade is almost nothing. At his current sales rate he won't need more inventory for a long time. Dropping prices does nothing to stimulate interest. Low grade gun in anything but mint condition just draw no interest. Maybe closer to hunting season it will pickup but I doubt it.

Non model 12 pumps are slow movers unless set up for urban combat. I just bought a Ithaca solid rib Skeet gun in 20 ga for a song. Better than 95% condition with uncut stock. I haven't seen so many bargains in guns I like since 2008. Now hand guns, black guns and big name collectible guns like Browning, Winchester and Parkers are selling well around here. Cash is king and with it you can improve your collection of shooters very nicely right now.

Sidelock
Sidelock

On the other hand several dealers told me everything with wood and steel vs plastic was selling pretty darn well at Tulsa last weekend.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: El Garro
...the advice was, buy a quality Brit gun for a sound investment.

It hasn't stopped me building my collection but I have to laugh whenever I see guns described as investments.
I strongly suspect that the money I've spent would yield measurably greater returns on more traditional investments like stocks and bonds.
But I can't take my 401K out for a bit of rough shooting. smile

Jeremy

Sidelock
Sidelock

Guns as "Investments"?

Hypothetical situation:
You bought a decent double gun several years ago for $2000 and sell it for $3000. Do you report the $1000 gain to the IRS as income?

You bought some stock several years ago for $2000 and sell it for $3000. Guess who will be knocking on your door wanting their share of the profit! wink
Jim

Last edited by James M; 04/07/17 05:35 PM.

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: James M
Guns as "Investments"?

Hypothetical situation:
You bought a decent double gun several years ago for $2000 and sell it for $3000. Do you report the $1000 gain to the IRS as income?

I do. You've got a week to do the right thing. smirk

Nick. C Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I guess now (or in the near future) may be the time to buy that SLE you've always hankered for. There is a flip side to every coin. Perhaps it's just a lull, good to hear they were selling well in Tulsa though.
Good point about the tax man too, maybe that was the thinking behind the guns as an investment idea.

Rust never sleeps !
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.