May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (KY Jon, KDGJ, Researcher, FelixD, 2 invisible), 563 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,499
Posts545,457
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Maybe someone is dumb enough to export guns out of proof but it has to be only a matter of time before he gets caught. Too many barrel wall thickness gauges out there and people know how to use them. So if you just bought a gun that is out of proof and it was discovered by your gunsmith while he was checking the gun out what would you do contact the seller or contact the exporter unless they are one in the same?

Who would risk it for a few pounds shipping and handling or even a few hundred pounds profit on the sale. If caught you stand to loose so much more than that.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
....if you just bought a gun that is out of proof and it was discovered by your gunsmith while he was checking the gun out what would you do contact the seller or contact the exporter unless they are one in the same?

Who would risk it for a few pounds shipping and handling or even a few hundred pounds profit on the sale. If caught you stand to loose so much more than that.

I don't understand the part about getting caught and what's there to loose other than the cost of the purchase and or the repair? One could contact the seller and exporter/importer to claim some compensation that was thought to be due, but is it possible to violate a proof law in the US?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Did he not "Violate The Law" in the country from which it was shipped. Even a century & more ago when most American gun makers were importing Damascus & Twist barrels, primarily from Belgium, they came in with provisional proof marks. They were finished here & did not carry the Definitive proof marks & in many cases the provisional ones were lost in the finishing process, however they still remain on many others.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
Too many barrel wall thickness gauges out there and people know how to use them. So if you just bought a gun that is out of proof and it was discovered by your gunsmith while he was checking the gun out what would you do contact the seller or contact the exporter unless they are one in the same?

To help in my understanding of "in proof based upon proof law", which countries have minimum wall bbl thickness stated in their proof laws & what is the minimum thickness?

I know .020" is suggested by some as minimum wall thickness but I was not aware that being below .020" bbl wall thickness made a gun out of proof assuming it was otherwise in proof.

I'm not arguing that the .020" minimum doesn't make sense & that a gun w/less that .020" may not pass reproof but please clarify on the Proof Laws.

Sidelock
Sidelock

No CIP signatory has a MWT requirement for proof

Commission Internationale Permanente pour l'Epreuve des Armes ΰ Feu Portatives (C.I.P.) http://www.cip-bobp.org/
Standard CIP proof pressure of 850 kg per sq. cm. (BAR) = 13,920 psi proof pressure = 10,730 psi service pressure (SAAMI)
Shotgun recommended minimum wall thickness (p.4) for Standard Steel with tensile strength 700 - 849 N/sq. mm = 101,526-123,137 psi, which Chrome Moly 4140 just reaches
http://www.cip-bobp.org/sites/default/files/new_file/A-4-1_EN.pdf

12g...........................................................................20g
End of chamber - .079”..................................................075”
Just past the forcing cone/ 4” from breech - .075”................071”
8” - .043”..................................................................041”
12” - .030”.................................................................028”
16” - .024”.................................................................022”
20” - .022”.................................................................020”

British Rules of Proof: If a plug gauge of 0.729" diameter will enter the bore to a depth of 9", that barrel is marked 12. If so marked and a plug gauge of 0.740" will enter the bore to a depth of 9", the barrels are "out-of-proof".

Sidelock
Sidelock

I owned one at 18 that passed proof.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Barrel wall thickness does not take a gun out of proof to be accurate and fair. I am more concerned about the wall thickness and safety in use, than being in proof which is why I measure the wall thickness in the first place. But when I measure a gun and find very thin walls I suspect it has been honed. If you then measure the bores and find it is now with a bore too large that it is in fact out of proof under US proof law, which does not exist on proof issues it is a non issue. But you can not sell or export a gun you know to be out of proof if you are a dealer in Great Britain as I understand it. In fact the auction houses refuse sell out of proof guns unless they have been cut to prevent their use.

None of the guns I've imported have been out of proof unless it was some technical issue I did not know about. But what if one was? Would you first contact the seller or the exporting dealer or just forget about it unless the gun is of substantial value?

Sidelock
Sidelock

proof smoof...when evaluating fluid steel barrels for safe shooting with smokeless field loads, just make sure you have 90 thousands or more of barrel wall in front of the chambers and a minimum of 30 thousands 7 to 9 inches down from the muzzles...anything less than that should be suspect and perhaps relegated to light black powder loads only...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Drew Hause
No CIP signatory has a MWT requirement for proof

Commission Internationale Permanente pour l'Epreuve des Armes ΰ Feu Portatives (C.I.P.) http://www.cip-bobp.org/
Standard CIP proof pressure of 850 kg per sq. cm. (BAR) = 13,920 psi proof pressure = 10,730 psi service pressure (SAAMI)
Shotgun recommended minimum wall thickness (p.4) for Standard Steel with tensile strength 700 - 849 N/sq. mm = 101,526-123,137 psi, which Chrome Moly 4140 just reaches
http://www.cip-bobp.org/sites/default/files/new_file/A-4-1_EN.pdf

12g...........................................................................20g
End of chamber - .079”..................................................075”
Just past the forcing cone/ 4” from breech - .075”................071”
8” - .043”..................................................................041”
12” - .030”.................................................................028”
16” - .024”.................................................................022”
20” - .022”.................................................................020”

British Rules of Proof: If a plug gauge of 0.729" diameter will enter the bore to a depth of 9", that barrel is marked 12. If so marked and a plug gauge of 0.740" will enter the bore to a depth of 9", the barrels are "out-of-proof".

Drew,

Thank you for confirming that I still understand what being "in proof" means.

I'm not sure that some of the other posters grasp the concept that you can have a gun with very thin bbl wall thickness that is technically & legally still in proof.

I'm all for checking bbl wall thickness but I can't see that thin barrel wall thickness would legally prevent anyone from exporting or selling a gun that is otherwise in proof. The fact that doing so is not a good business practice is another matter.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Note the gun is "Not" Out of Proof with thin barrels "IF" it was proofed with those thin barrels.
It "IS" out of proof "IF" the bores have been enlarged beyond the legal limit without it being re-proofed, thus producing the thin barrels After Proof.
Very often this is the case on guns having very thin barrels.
Such guns are not illegal to sell here in the US, Caveat Emptor.
They are illegal to sell "OR" Export in countries with proof laws.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.