May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (mel5141, Hal M Hare, PALUNC, eightbore, azgreg, Ian Forrester), 1,066 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,526
Posts545,835
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds like the perfect reason to take that 28 but first shoot a couple patterns with it. The 28 can easily handle the range that you are shooting early season and when the birds are not heavily feathered out. You just don't want to be shooting another version of the same patterns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

treblig,
Yes the 20 ga. was ordered directly from Merkel, as it was one of their "custom" models that I just couldn't refuse, sounds like a good excuse doesn't it? I was fortunate enough to find the 12 & 28 ga. locally. I really love all three, but the baby framed 28 ga. is a sweetheart.
Still trying to figure out how they can all pattern well if they are all choked .008 & .018.
Karl

Last edited by Karl Graebner; 03/26/17 11:38 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Appears to be the 20 gauge in the photos, Karl. I've never owned a Merkel, but, have friends that do, and the dang things sure remain tight and hard to open for a long time. Really well built and fitted, from what I can see.

Good to see the photos, by the way. Thanks.

I've owned many Darne 12s that were stamped 18.2 by the proof house in St. Etienne, which, actually makes them 13 gauge guns. My 28 comes in at 14.0, pretty close to .550", right on 28 gauge.

Why many of the 20s were .015 over, right from the factory, is something I really don't have a good explaination for. I don't have many opportunities bird hunting to make use of a full choke gun.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
Sounds like the perfect reason to take that 28 but first shoot a couple patterns with it. The 28 can easily handle the range that you are shooting early season and when the birds are not heavily feathered out. You just don't want to be shooting another version of the same patterns.

I patterned the 28, at the same range, on the same day. Much more useful at that range than the 20. I'll try to get a pic or two up after lunch.

I really need to buy some tools to measure the smaller bore guns.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

My local Cabelas is very nice about letting me use their bore measuring gauges and their barrel thickness gauge. They laughingly tell me I'm the only one that knows how to use them. Since I only feel the need to measure a barrel once a year, borrowing sure beats buying.

I am able to use the thickness gauge only after arguing with 8bore that it can't be done.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted,
I just checked the barrel flats on my Merkels this morning. The 12 ga. is stamped 18.6 - .732, 20 ga. 16.0 - .630, and the 28 ga. 14.0 - .551.
Again, slight over bore on the 12 & 20, with virtually none on the 28 ga. The mysteries of shotgun barrels!
Hope this helps,
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

My first SxS was a 20ga. Merkel 47E circa mid 90's (before the big price jack) from GSI. They offered a very long warranty with a German gunsmith on site. Seemed like a great value to me, so I bought one.

The configuration error was my fault. I thought the gun should have a PG and SST at the time, but I've since learned differently.

About the third time out, the bastard doubled on me and gave me the flinches for weeks after. The problem is that if the trigger selector, which is on the trigger itself, is centered the trigger sits on both sears. The German gunsmith confirmed this. His exact words "Ja, dey do dat".

The spring on the detent is none too strong, so the selector can indeed end up in the center instead of being properly set. They offered to fix that, but I just kept an eye on it instead until a local Germanophile offered to buy it.

It is still tight to this day, very tight. The barrel polish and blue is just stunning. It did go back for service at one point, and the only thing the new owner complains about is the floor plate screw now has a habit of backing itself out.

I'd buy a double trigger model with a straight stock should one present itself.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Shotgunjones,
I feel the same way about single triggers, although I've used them sucessfully on my Browning Citoris when I had them. Purchased a Browning Superlight with a straight stock and fell in love. I got rid of the O/Us and began preferring SxSs. They are all english stocked with double triggers. I've had the Merkels for several years now, and you're right about the tightness! Maybe my grandchildren will finally be able to break them in.
I've talked to the gunsmith Herbert at GSI several times in the past, very helpful.
Karl

Last edited by Karl Graebner; 03/26/17 12:25 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

That's one thing you can always say about a German, they are over built.

That Frenchy's choke looks like there is not much forgiveness there and for early season close quarters Grouse you need as much leeway as you can get.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: treblig1958
That's one thing you can always say about a German, they are over built.

That Frenchy's choke looks like there is not much forgiveness there and for early season close quarters Grouse you need as much leeway as you can get.

Both points-you got that right.

I'm guessing you've shot a ruffie or two in your day.

Best,
Ted

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.