April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (LeFusil), 464 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,479
Posts545,212
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good MOA group Ted!! Patterns looks more like a rifle then a shotgun. Still a beautiful shotgun by the way.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you like the gun and are getting birds with it who cares how it's choked. There are times when it is better to be dumb and happy then smart.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted,
I have 3 Merkels. A 12-20-28 ga. All are choked iC/MOD. Interestingly, they all measure .008 and .018, what you would expect for 12 ga. boring. Oddly, they all pattern IC/MOD beautifully at 25 & 40 yards. I'm still trying to figure that one out, but there you are.
I really don't care for spreaders either by the way.
Karl

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Shotgunjones
16mm or .630 is a tad overbore, but not excessively and not uncommonly for other brands.

Polywad to the rescue.

Pack a box of their 20ga spread loads and hit the early grouse woods.

No worries.

Not excessively or uncommon for other brands, when? This gun was built in the 1940s, long before plastic shot cups were in use.

What was the point of a backbore of .015 when your wad was felt, circa 1948? I've seen Darne guns that were pre-war with the same 16mm bore. I don't know exactly what they were after. I assume it tightened the pattern up slightly with old felt wad ammunition, at the risk of blown patterns with heavier loads, and tightens the pattern to the next constriction, say, modified to full, with plastic shot cup ammunition.

It is choked too tight for the type of grouse hunting I have done with it. That point might be difficult for someone who has never been in a northern MN. grouse woods to come to grips with, especially in the first 40 days of the season. 25 yards is a very long shot in that setting. I have no plans of opening it, I have others that will do. I actually have good "depth" on sliding breech guns choked for grouse hunting, either of these will do nicely:

I eschew spreaders as I usually have a pooch along for the day, hell, I wouldn't hunt birds if I didn't have a dog.

I'm not convinced the "spread" of spreaders is very well controlled, or, predictable.

Karl, have you ever measured the bore of those different guns, and discovered how close to industry spec they are, or, aren't?

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
When you get tired of two piper a new 16ga Auto-5 inertia driven semi-auto is excellent substitute. With 26" it has low weight and excellent handling. By changing choke tube you can select pattern you like with different loads. It is modern international design with parts from all over the world assembled at a secret location.

PJ,
I own, like, two dozen shotguns. I have guns with choke tubes, but, none are doubles. I did change a choke tube in a King's Ferry Ithaca model 37 3" 12 gauge (ever see one?) a while back, to shoot a round of trap-I had an IC tube in it for pheasant hunting, and replaced it with a modified. But, I seldom do that. I have two autoloading shotguns, I didn't purchase them, and haven't used either in about 4-5 years, I'm guessing. We are on a double gun site, and when I'm hunting, I guess I prefer to use good, old fashoned, double guns.

I've managed to avoid screw choking any good quality double guns. I have opened a few, but, again, not recently.

That is why I hang out here, and not, say, on a Browning autoloader site, or, a plastic stock/glow worm bead site, or, a shotgun barrel porting site.

I guess this post was more about discovering where a gun I own will best serve my use as it is, rather than running out to buy the latest new gun.
Early season grouse hunting doesn't typically offer shots with a truly clear view of the bird, a lot of time, or long shots. Most of the leaves are still on the trees, at that time. I'm leaning toward not using or bringing this gun along, based on the short range perfomance I saw today.

I don't need another gun.

Thanks, anyway.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted,
The barrel flats indicate that they are slightly overbored for the respective gauge. I've had the bores measured as well as the chokes. The choke measurments indicate a very long choke taper. I suspect that is why they pattern as such.
RE: Spreaders. Years ago I was on a hunt with a couple of guys, one who was using spreaders. The dog took a pellet in the lung with deadly results. That hunt still haunts me.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted,
This is my Merkel doing what it likes best.
Karl

Last edited by Karl Graebner; 03/26/17 01:59 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted,
By the way, I was able to finally post the picture above thanks to the previous advise from Ken61 in a previous post. Now I can finally share pictures painlessly. Many thanks again!
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

My comment wasn't a historical perspective.

I also have no clue 'why'. Why is my current production German 410 bored .401? There is a chart online of max/min diameters and sure enough, German minimum is .401.

I respect your safety decision on the spread load over your dog.

Have a nice summer and good hunting next season.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Another beautiful shotgun. Karl, ordered from Merkel?

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.