May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Themauserkid, Fudd, Argo44, 1 invisible), 306 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,547
Posts546,168
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Oscar told me about it shortly after it was started
bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ole Cowboy was an prickly old cuss, but was a good friend that I met through this board when I had a question about a 101 I had just purchased. He has been gone a little over 4 years. I have met many other good friends here.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eightbore
Some of us print old threads for research. That's how I'm going to find my early dates. By the way, I still occasionally use my long carriage IBM Selectric. I recently got an offer to buy it from a legal firm. I can't remember how they said they were going to use it.

Perhaps they wanted to use it to back date wills. wink

I too date back to the old board. How far back I no longer know but it must be twenty years as well. Lurked in the early days. Early days were a lot of banter and fun. There were several very heated threads over the virtues of the 16 and how mind numb those who disagreed about those "facts." I miss Old Lighting, John Mann, Bill Wise and Klunkmeister. A couple others, who are long gone, were such great sources of information and kind help. But even the nasty posters were more grouchy than mean and they often knew what they were talking about.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: postoak
Ole Cowboy was an prickly old cuss, but was a good friend that I met through this board when I had a question about a 101 I had just purchased. He has been gone a little over 4 years. I have met many other good friends here.

We had wonderful guy named John Mann who was the peacemaker of this forum. I remember Lowell Glenthorne of Glenthorne woods and his beloved Beesley. I heard he sold his Beesley. I wonder if he kept the A.H.Fox and Remington 1894. Those were them good ole' days.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I used to get lots of laughs at Glenthorne fretting himself into a frenzy over poachers. Someone could drive by slow and he would begin to worry. Someone started a thread of limericks, and I wrote one especially for Lowell ....... wish I could remember it.

There was also a real friendly guy out in Washington or Oregon named Lemke. I seem to remember him never mentioning shooting anything but starlings.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, was that the guy someone--perhaps in honor of Glenthorne--dubbed "Lord Starlingworth"?

When things were slow, you could always post something negative about a Winchester and Ole Cowboy would appear like a genie in response to rubbing the lamp.

Early on, I recall that there was a pretty strong "Damascus Roulette" clique. Not safe to shoot those old guns.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I don't recall that monicker, Larry. I remember now his full screen name was Lenard Lemke, without an "o" in Lenard. The Atlanta Braves were on a roll along then and they had a great second baseman named Lemke, "The Lemmer". I guess that name just kinda stuck in my mind.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry in the Happy Hunting Ground, Ole Cowboy is going to give you Hell about trolling him on Winchesters ! smile

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm getting awful close to twenty if I'm not already there. Had a lot of good interchanges here over the years...
JR

Last edited by John Roberts; 03/17/17 10:08 PM.

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

If my memory serves me correctly - and that becomes more of a rarity as each day passes - I first logged into the old, original board sometime in 1993 or early 1994 shortly after my arrival to Albuquerque in June of 93. I have been on many others and still do participate in a couple, but for gun knowledge, this one is and always has been the very best. Some of the others have degenerated into name calling and such BS that I don't visit as much as I once did. This is still the most civil of all the boards I am aware of and Dave runs a top notch operation here as far as I am concerned. I will say that I had never given much though to donating to a board until I had to pay one of the others to stay on. After doing it I felt so bad because I had just paid to stay with something that often just sucks and had never paid Dave a dime for the benefit and honest pleasure I have derived from this board. As soon as I saw the Call for Donations this year I sent mine immediately!! Feels good. Thanks Dave.

Perry M. Kissam
NRA Patron Life Member
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.