May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (David Williamson, graybeardtmm3, FlyChamps, 2 invisible), 827 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,496
Posts545,388
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: canvasback
Originally Posted By: LeFusil
Extension looks very nice. The reason I always suggest the use of ebonite in place of ebony is that everything ebony I own...is cracked or has started to crack. Ebonite can be easily checkered or grooved. Horn is beautiful, but sucks in the long run and I don't know anybody who enjoys working horn.
Anyway, the extension is classy and looks up to the quality of the gun, thumbs up.

I don't do the work myself so I'm not quite as bothered by the smell of horn. LOL But having had a couple done, why do you say it sucks in the long run. And how long a run do you mean. 10 years or 80 years.

Worms. Shrinks. Cracks/delaminates. Changes colors over time, sometimes becomes semi-transparent. Very difficult to work. Horrible to checker. Stinks. Expensive.
With all that said....when it's done right, it's beautiful when finished. As for time...I'll admit I have no good answer. I have 100+ year old guns that have all the symptoms I've described....I have 40 year old guns with some of the listed symptoms. Nothing specific to offer, sorry.

Last edited by LeFusil; 03/03/17 02:30 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Friends:

I passed the thread along to Steve (he doesn't really get into this internet stuff) and he is quite grateful for the attention and especially the praise. He asked me to pass along to you that "... that one's all mine, David T didn't even see the gun .... If you can post on this site I'd appreciate if you could let the audience know that - being as English as I still am, I don't feel it appropriate to do it myself!"

I am proud to count Steve as a friend. For those of you who haven't gotten to know him, you should. He's a hell of a great guy. And a good wood man and doublegunsmith, too.

Last edited by Dave in Maine; 03/03/17 06:14 PM. Reason: typos

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree that is a beautiful butt stock but disagree about the desecration. That looks great.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The stock looks great. Wood seems to outlast bone.

125 year old wood:

125 year old bone (top layer looks like chalky fingernails):

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bone or horn?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks like horn

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Horn, misspoke...you guys pay attention!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Red pad looks better than the horn extension. Works better too.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: John Roberts
Red pad looks better than the horn extension. Works better too.
JR

That's a matter of opinion, personally I prefer the look of the horn or the ebony over a red pad. I have had a number of guns over the years both with & without pads, some of them red. However with loads appropriate for the weight of the gun I never really felt the need of a pad.
One of the "Hardest Kickers" I ever had was one with a pad that was totally TOO Soft. It was about like holding it off your shoulder & giving it a running start. I had to replace it with a firmer pad to make it comfortable to shoot.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

The ebony extension looks very nice, and I hope you shoot it "lights out"! It looks way better than a mismatched piece of walnut added to lengthen it. I would have used a Silvers type pad, myself, but I'm just partial to recoil pads. I use guns pretty hard, setting them down in all kinds of places that are not conducive to keeping a checkered butt looking nice ...... wooden racks on the range and duck blinds, for instance. I've got a couple with finished wood butts, but put a leather lace-on pad over them when in use.

The important thing is at you got it to the length you need. Very nice.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.