May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (SKB), 301 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,523
Posts545,815
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
I can shoot a S x S to within about 4 or 5 birds out of a hundred compared to what I can shoot with my MX8, on a medium to high difficulty course. I'll believe until I die that there is an advantage to the O/U for tougher targets, but like Ted I don't claim to know why.

Soft targets ....... I can shoot the S x S just as well.

SRH

First ejectors, and now you admit to owning a stack barrel. How the mighty have fallen. I shall pray for you, brother Stan.

ps. If you own a gauge other than 16, please don't tell me. smile
Mike

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
I don't believe that the new Perrazi double is setting records for sales, or, scores, Larry.
For whatever reason, the guys who do the best shooting, seem to shoot O/Us and un-singles and whatever, better than they do old style doubles.

I don't claim to know why.

Best,
Ted

Ted, some would say it's the "single sighting plane" thing. I'd say it's the fact that very few people start out with sxs these days. Prior to WWII, lots of people started with sxs, so they naturally gravitated to sxs target guns. And American gunmakers supplied those, for both skeet and trap. Then WWII put semiautos into the hands of millions of Americans, most of whom likely had never handled one of those previously. Helped make semiauto shotguns a whole lot more popular after the war. By which time both Fox and Parker were out of the sxs market (or at least the higher quality part of it, in the case of Fox). And Ithaca and LC Smith didn't last very long. Easier to keep production costs lower on single barreled guns than on doubles. And it's worth noting that OU's never really caught on until they started arriving in large numbers and at reasonable prices from overseas makers--but imported by respected American makers like Winchester, Ithaca, and Browning. (Who also brought us some pretty decent sxs at reasonable prices.) But the OU was essentially the new kid on the block, and target shooters--most of whom were likely far more used to a pump or an auto than a sxs--took to them the way previous generations had taken to sxs. The usual excuse then (and now) for shying away from sxs being that it just doesn't look right when you shoulder it after you've been used to looking down just one barrel all your life.

But hey, it's nice to go to the club, grab your sxs, and shoot a round of trap or skeet or SC or 5 stand and remain competitive with the guys who are shooting purpose-built target guns. And it even convinces some of them to buy a sxs and give it a try, just for the fun of it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: wingshooter16
Originally Posted By: Stan
I can shoot a S x S to within about 4 or 5 birds out of a hundred compared to what I can shoot with my MX8, on a medium to high difficulty course. I'll believe until I die that there is an advantage to the O/U for tougher targets, but like Ted I don't claim to know why.

Soft targets ....... I can shoot the S x S just as well.

SRH

First ejectors, and now you admit to owning a stack barrel. How the mighty have fallen. I shall pray for you, brother Stan.

ps. If you own a guage other than 16, please don't tell me. smile
Mike

Prayers always appreciated, Mike. I'm in constant need of strength to resist the temptation of believing I need another double, be it a two-story or a two-row gun. Actually, I've got two two-story guns right now, the MX8 comp gun and the 687 SPII Sporting 20 dove gun.

Doubles of both types are like grandkids, in a way. My wife would roll her eyes if she read that, but as efficient as my O/U guns are, there is a special place in my life for S x Ss, as that is what I learned to shoot flying with. One can never replace the other, and shouldn't vie for importance on my racks.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 02/26/17 02:38 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.