April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Jimmy W), 409 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,228
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

None of them, Ted. Point taken. But, how many of your Darnes have been shot as much as it has, particularly with 1 1/4 oz. modern loads?

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The R10 has seen a lot of use, Stan. It is, what, 30 years older than the Browning? I use 1 1/4 oz in it when I need it, late season pheasants in the cold, for example, but, no waterfowling.
I am the third owner I know of, and like all Rs that have seen a bunch of use, the action has slicked up and cycles like it has been greased with butter. It takes a lot of use for that to happen, the first owner doesn't usually get to see it.
You won't find Darnes for sale that are off the face, Stan. It doesn't happen, regardless of use. The problems most often seen involve people who have access to tools, who, really shouldn't.
Good luck with the repairs on the Browning.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks, Ted. May you live so long and get to shoot so much that you're the first one to shoot a Darne loose.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

For me, sliding breech vs. “Tipping-Gun” is not an either/or proposition. I like them both--and would like more of each. wink As for looks, there’s another old adage, “form follows function.” Both the form and function of the Darne look fine to me. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
the Darne works had over 120,000 guns on the books by 1932,

So, in reality, no American double gun manufacturers even got close to that level of production. As Dig has pointed out, had there not been such high taxes placed on imported guns, American guns would have slugged it out here in the states, with the best from England, and the continent, and, well, I'm pretty sure that would have been the end of that, Stan.

Best,
Ted

I don't know about the other American makers but Ithaca Gun Company had approx. 390,000 double and single guns on the books by 1926.

By the way, I do like the looks of a Darne.

John

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted, in addition to the numbers John posted above: Ithaca made 225,000 guns, just during the Flues years. Fox was just shy of 200,000 sxs produced. And Parker, LC Smith, and Ithaca all made more doubles than Fox. If you're going to cite a French maker for volume, you'd be much better off using Manufrance rather than Darne. But I will join you in defending the gun's esthetics and action. I've determined they're not for me (the R-14 now has a new owner), but I do think they're attractive, and clearly well-made.

Re Bodio, I heard (long ago) that he was contacted by convicted spy Christopher Boyce ("The Falcon" of the book and movie "The Falcon and the Snowman", who sold out his country to the Russians) about writing his biography. Falconry was the obvious connection there. My understanding is that Bodio turned him down. Bravo for him.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, Larry, all those makers made bunches of guns. Until, they didn't.

Darne still does. They had a year and a half off, 1979-1981, and they have kept right at it, lower production as custom guns, but, a remarkable production run. They had booming times in the 1930s, and post WWII until 1957, or so. The early to mid 1960s were also good, long after most American double makers had thrown in the towel.

I had a discussion with Steve, not long ago, and brought up the question of Christopher Boyce and his biography to him. Every word you typed is true, Larry.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted has a point re looseness being a mostly a break action problem. I have yet to see a loose Darne or Charlin.

Friction in an engine revving at thousand of RPM takes years to wear a gap like that seen in a loose double. It is unlikely to be the sole cause for wear and looseness.

Action flexing is indicated as the primary, if not the only form of action dynamics during firing. The barrels are usually assumed to be totally inert and unaffected by pressure even though they are soft and malleable and actions are stiff and hardened.

Radial expansion and axial contraction in thick walled cylinders (such as barrels), are systematically ignored in the analysis. Even though the phenomenon must cause pounding between barrel and action during the recovery phase.

Last edited by Shotgunlover; 02/10/17 02:57 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
Yes, Larry, all those makers made bunches of guns. Until, they didn't.

Darne still does. They had a year and a half off, 1979-1981, and they have kept right at it, lower production as custom guns, but, a remarkable production run. They had booming times in the 1930s, and post WWII until 1957, or so. The early to mid 1960s were also good, long after most American double makers had thrown in the towel.

I had a discussion with Steve, not long ago, and brought up the question of Christopher Boyce and his biography to him. Every word you typed is true, Larry.

Best,
Ted

Good to hear confirmation on the Boyce story. Thanks.

The reason makers of American doubleguns got out of the business had nothing to do with the quality of the guns. And I could point out that two of those classic doubles--Winchester 21 and Fox--are still being made in this country. Like Darne, much lower production and as custom guns, but still being made. With a much longer break in production.

Darne had the advantage of operating in a market where sxs remained far more popular, comparatively speaking, than they did in this country post-WWII. In contrast, in this country, there were so many used American doubles available, at relatively low prices, that it didn't make bottom line sense to build new ones--except at the lower end of the market (Stevens). Although I think Savage might have made a go of it with smallbore Sterlingworths, and Marlin's revival of the L.C. Smith might have caught on if they'd made them as 20's rather than 12's. The Parker Reproduction clearly demonstrated that there was a limited market for classic American-designed (if not made) smallbore doubles at a relatively high price.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Ted, in addition to the numbers John posted above: Ithaca made 225,000 guns, just during the Flues years. Fox was just shy of 200,000 sxs produced. And Parker, LC Smith, and Ithaca all made more doubles than Fox. If you're going to cite a French maker for volume, you'd be much better off using Manufrance rather than Darne. But I will join you in defending the gun's esthetics and action. I've determined they're not for me (the R-14 now has a new owner), but I do think they're attractive, and clearly well-made.

Manufrance.

Approx 74,000 Ideals between 1888 and 1939. Unknown number between 1946 and 1985 when MF shut down.

Approx 950,000 Robusts between the introduction in the 1920s and when MF shut down in 1985. More than all of Ithaca in just one model.

Those weren't the only SxS they made and they made pumps, semis and single shots as well.

And a field grade Robust is miles ahead in quality to any hardware store gun turned out by the likes of Stevens or Meridian.

I think it's pretty likely that without the excessive tariffs, the European and British gun industry would have eaten America's lunch. Clearly the makers and politicians of the time thought so as well. That's why the tariffs were in place.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.