May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Steve Nash, Skeeterbd, playing hooky, 1 invisible), 298 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,516
Posts545,686
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Tom C Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am right handed and am having surgery on my right shoulder next week. I have a torn labrum which will be repaired and the biceps tendon will be relocated. It's a pretty standard procedure for SLAP tears. The doctor says it will be a three month recovery for normal work but I am wondering about shooting since it is my shooting shoulder. Has anybody gone through a procedure like this that can give me an idea of how long before I can shoot again without too much pain?

Tom C

�There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.�
Aldo Leopold
Sidelock
Sidelock

I found it took twelve months before I could shoot without discomfort after shoulder and elbow surgery. But we are not all the same and some people could start shooting sooner without problems and others a little longer. Though the best thing I found was to leave my light Brit side by sides in their cases, and used a far heavier over and under with a rubber recoil pad. I was really surprised how much a heavier gun reduced the felt recoil though I do miss the light guns I have grown old with.
I hope things go well for you after your surgery.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tom C,
I didn't have this type surgery, but my wife did. She lost a fair amount of "range of motion". I suggest you talk to your Doctor about your concern, while he still has some possible choice of the new location of the tendon. Failing that, I suggest you speak to your physical therapist , during rehab., about your special requirements.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting timing. I was just diagnosed with an 80% tendon tear in my right shoulder. Doc said the surgery would be pretty routine, but the recovery would be 6-8 months. He also told me not to hunt ducks this season because the recoil could further damage the shoulder. Because of everything I have going on, I probably won't do the surgery until next spring, and I'm thinking about learning to shoot left handed before dove season. Alternative would be to use my Rem 1100 .410 with skeet loads, right handed. Hate to miss a dove season.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have had several minor cleanups and my shoulder rebuilt. Age matters, your ability to do physical therapy both before and after your surgery, the extent of damage done does matter. The younger and better health you are will help you heal faster. I did a lot of range of motion and strength condition before the surgery and it hurt like a B.... but the better your muscle condition the better your post surgery recovery. If you have let your shoulder get weak from lack of use and pain with motion your post surgery recovery has a lot further to go. Doing the physical therapy is the only way to get range of motion and strength back. Fail to push the therapy and you will never get as much recovery.

As to time, I was back at work far faster than your doctor predicted for you and a lot of that was due to doing all the pre-surgery work. Everyone is different. I'd figure six month to almost full recovery but the little things will take longer. I could reach the top shelf quickly but rotating my hand when the arm was fully extended took more time. I could do a simple reach and grab but turning a screwdriver was later. Again doing the therapy will get you all the way back if there is no structural damage they can not repair.

I have a bone spur in my other shoulder which I am going to have shaved down in a few weeks. I do not intend to miss much work with that. I'll take two to three days off total.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a major rebuild of my right shoulder about 4 years ago: tendon re-attached, rotator cuff repair, pinched nerve,many bone spurs removed--five hours of cut-and-paste After years of pain and increasingly limited motion, I got about 90% function back in three months. Let PT be your new religion!

I started shooting a .410 with skeet loads after that and quickly went back to light loads in my 12s and 20s (I seldom shoot heavy loads any more, I shot a couple of 3" in my Gold Label and that was enough of THAT!).

So far no recurrence of pain, but I avoid .45-70s and upward. But then, we don't have any loose bison around here....

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had rotator cuff at age 65 and it was tough! Now at 75 I need it again but I say no because it is not worth it at my age. I will take an advil and try to get through the skeet matches but I have to fight flinching on every shot. I gave up 12 gauge and have only shot 20 but may have to switch to 28 this season?? I do shoot about 10,000 per yer.

bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

Anyone had a "manipulation" to restore range of motion?

DDA

Sidelock
Sidelock

One of my best friends, Charles Boswell (yeah, that's really his name) who is the founder owner of CompNChoke, had extensive shoulder surgery about two years ago, after a terrible injury to it resulting from a fall off of a 7410 JD tractor. His arm was in a sling for a good while afterwards, but he did his therapy religiously. He kicked my butt yesterday on a round of sporting clays, 90 to 86. He shoots as good as he did before the surgery.

You can do it, too. Think positive thoughts only. Work hard at recovery. Don't take no for an answer.

All my best, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Tom C Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I had the left shoulder done 8 years ago and it was much worse needing 3 anchors added to the bone and removal of a large bone spur. I was still sweating bullets 6 months later. I am hoping there is less bone work this time and I will talk to the doc about the relocation point for the biceps tendon. I am getting this done now so that I can hunt in the fall. I visited my PT friend 28 times after my left shoulder repair. Swimming is what really strengthened my left shoulder after the repair. I suspect clays will be minimal for a good while.

This gives me a reason to pick up a 28! I will mention that to the doc so I can tell my wife he prescribed it.

Tom C

�There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.�
Aldo Leopold
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.