May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (cpa, dukxdog, Jerry G, Jeremy Pearce), 260 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,537
Posts546,025
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Great ideas! Think will try double sided tape fist. Have some on hand
Thanks to all for replies.
Bruce

eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Try skateboard tape. Works for me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think London Guns sold the last batch of those pads about 15 years ago, so it may just be age hardened. You might be able to soften it up with a soak in lacquer thinner, but that soak may also swell the pad a bit. They were/are nice pads.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd be careful with lacquer thinner soaking as it may dissolve or permanently damage the rubber pad.

A quick Google search gives a number of solutions for softening old hardened rubber including soaking the object in a 3:1 solution of 91% rubbing alcohol and wintergreen oil, or applying liquid silicone to restore the lost plasticizers. Short applications of Glycerin was another solution, but there were warnings that prolonged soaks in glycerin would turn rubber to mush. Another one suggests using a mixture of wintergreen oil and toluene. But toluene is a pretty potent organic solvent too, one of the components of PVC pipe cleaner. Some folks were keeping their go-kart tires soft for better traction by spraying them with WD-40 and wrapping them with saran wrap to keep the WD-40 from quickly flashing off.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Phil Katzeen(sp) was "London Guns." As an ACGG member his products are missed and it took a large time for someone to make the products he made so well. Mark Beasland (another ACGG member) tracked down the maker of Phil's recoil pads and is now having small batches of them made for Mark's Born Again Bird Guns, Inc. I have bought them in the past two years and they are indeed good pads to work with. As for making them less slick...a leather covered face is the best option that I know of. Using a piece of leather that is distressed in the manufacturing process is helpful too in making it less slick.

Dennis Earl Smith/Benefactor Life NRA, ACGG Professional member
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nobody seems to like my duct tape suggestion, but I forgot to say I use only "best" duct tape.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Most (if not all) of "Silver's) type pads get slick very quickly. It's not so much that the pad gets hard but the surface of the pad oxidizes & gets slick sort of like a pencil eraser does.

As some others have suggested, a small piece of tape like skateboard tape with a rough surface or something slightly tacky works well for me. I just put the tape on when I want to use the gun & remove it when I put the gun away. You only need a 1 1/2" piece in the center of the pad to make it stay securely in the shoulder pocket & it won't catch & interfere with your gun mount that way

If I'm going to have a pad I prefer the looks of the traditional Silver's type pad & tape is the best solution I've found unless you want to cover the pad or the face in leather.

I don't favor leather covered pads on hunting guns because they quickly become worn & nasty looking if you hunt around any brier patches.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I used a 1 inch wide strip of stair step non slip abrasive tread tape. Worked great and came off completely when I wanted to sell the gun. You don't need but 2 or 3 inches down the middle of the pad and could probably get by with a half inch wide strip.

https://www.amazon.com/Houseables-Nonsli...r+step+abrasive

Sidelock
Sidelock

The CA gun dealer's name was Katsenes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Larry. It has been a long time since I had his proper spelling on hand. I last talked to his widow about buying some of his remaining stock on hand. He and she were very private people and Phil did not want anyone to know he had an illness that robbed him of his abilities. I just called him by name when I dealt with him over the phone.

Dennis Earl Smith/Benefactor Life NRA, ACGG Professional member
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.