Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Cobbhead #470655 01/25/17 05:28 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

my grandfathers 12ga lefever nitro special was actually my 2nd double.my mother remembered him decorating the stock with small finishing nails making bird and several other designs including a heart with an arrow thru it and the date 1928 which is supposedly when he bought it.i had it recheckered n casecolors redone .ive never shot it but it will always be in my gun cabinet.
my 1st double was a meridian with genuine damacus barrels,i traded to a family friend for a ranger because his wife didn't want him to shoot that gun that might blow up!i shot a truck load of rabbits and woodcock over his beagle!i also fixed that up redid stock and put 20ga Briley tubes in it.took it to show old guy ,thought he would get a kick out seeing it,his first words were you sure putting a lot of money in that old gun!

Sidelock
Sidelock

My story is not quite so happy. My grandfather bought a new Sauer Royal around 1962. When he died, my uncle (his only son) took it. He had it in his possession (abused) until he passed away 2 years ago. Shortly before he died, we made a deal and the gun would come to me. Well when he died I could not get it through his daughter's thick skull that the gun was to come to me. I have no idea where it is now and want nothing to do with that nincompoop!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brian, that story sucks. I feel bad for you. But......you can be an honorary member of my family and count my uncle's Double Auto as a family heirloom. I still occasionally kick myself for selling it to you, but better you than anyone else! grin

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

While I have not inheirited any doubles as there weren't any to recieve, I'm going to send my trio of Merkels and pair of Browning sidelocks forward to my son and granddaughters to keep the tradition going.
It's been great reading the stories of this thread!
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: canvasback
Brian, that story sucks. I feel bad for you. But......you can be an honorary member of my family and count my uncle's Double Auto as a family heirloom. I still occasionally kick myself for selling it to you, but better you than anyone else! grin

Yes, and it's going nowhere unless maybe back to you one day.
I think I told you I recently found a twentyweight mate to it so now it isn't lonely!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

My father was a side by side and O/U guy, but my Grandfather was an Ithaca 37 Pump Man. As a child all I heard was a matched pair of Purdeys was the ultimate. In our house there were only two shotguns then, a Browning Superposed which cost my father one months Captains pay in 1956 and a German 16 BLNE. The story on the 16 BLNE was my father took his Montgomery Wards 16 BLNE into an Amberg Germany gun shop to be reblued in 1957 or so. The store was robbed and the gun stolen. The gunsmith offered a gun in replacement and pointed at a rack of Spanish guns; none of which suited my father and across the shop he saw the gun he liked, the gun was a piece done by the gunsmiths apprentice who finished it as a gun to present to the Gunsmith Board as proof of his skill. The gun was according to the gunsmith way more than the value of the gun stolen, after some discussion between my father who did not yet speak German well and the gunsmith my father figured out the difference was 100 marks which was about $25, so my dad paid the difference.

Later the 16 BLNE became the first gun I ever took real game with Killing several deer in Virginia with No 4 Buck. Prior to using that gun I had my fathers childhood 410 single shot bolt action which I could not hit anything with. I still wonder what he was thinking taking me into a duck blind with a 410.

The double that lived in our family lore was a 12 ga LC Crown Grade my father brought at a Fort Sill pawnshop as a gift to my grandfather. My dad wanted my Grandfather to have a really nice gun. Apparently my grandfather never shot it well and stuck to his Ithaca. I suspect because the LC supposedly fit my dad and it was way too big for my grandfather who was a very small guy. They literally starved in the Old Country and grew out of his hunting clothes by the time I hit the 8th Grade and I was only 56 and wrestled 98 in High School.

The LC was something my Dad liked. When my grandfather was in the hospital dying of cancer my father flew out to California to see him. My grandfather could only talk about what he was leaving him (my dad was an only child). What my grandfather was land rich everything else poor. He owned some 80 acres in Santa Rosa of beautiful farm with vines and fruit trees and a house. My father responded the money the land was unimportant, the only thing my Grandfather had he wanted was the LC Crown grade, to which my dying grandfather responded that he sold it to one of the young guys at the duck club. My dad chewed him out on his death bed.

Over the years I picked up many Crown grades and none felt right to me and I passed. When I came across an LC Smith 20 5E and it felt marvelous I brought it for my Dad. When I tried to give it to him he chewed me out for spending the money and refused it. I shot it for a hunting season and never could hit anything consistently and when I got back from Afghanistan traded it for four guns and $7k to put central air in my steam heated house to get rid of the window units. My wife has been happy with the AC and I dont miss the LC. For me gun you don't shoot well is not worth having.

My fathers only other double of merit was an 1872 or so Damascus Rounded Back Action Hodgson Hammer Gun which I found for him at a gun show in Omaha when I was teaching ROTC at the University of Nebraska. He called me from Virginia and asked me to check on a Bar Action Sidelock he had seen online and when he called the guy he said he was taking to a show in Omaha that weekend, so I drove up to the gun show to check it out. The gun I was sent to look at was a dog, but next to it on the table was the Hodgson, well worn, off face, plenty of wall thickness. I picked it up and it felt like swing a sports car it was right. So I brought it. I emery clothed it to refinish, browned it and botched it, and it looked bad, so I striped and polished it again, mailed it to Keith Kearcher who put it on face, browned it beautifully; he even cleaned up the wood for free. My father loved it, shot it on preserve birds and clays.

When my father passed my oldest brother and I amicably divided the guns, he got the German 16 BLNE as I already had four 16s, he got my grandfathers Ithaca 37, and I got the Superposed and the Hodgson. Writing this makes me want to shoot the Hodgson this weekend on my last weekend of wild birds

If he knew I brought a Purdey 16 project gun with the money he left me after I paid off the house, he would probably kick me; then again he probably knows and probably will, but maybe out of jealousy. After all he inspired me from an early age.

A plain gun, but it feels perfect coming to the shoulder, and both my father and now I am deadly with it

Last edited by old colonel; 01/26/17 12:05 AM.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.