May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (gil russell, Thymepeace, Argo44, Ken Nelson, 1 invisible), 223 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,530
Posts545,888
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 15 of 16 1 2 13 14 15 16
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: lonesome roads
Shoot, Ted, if I spoke Italian better someone might, if they tried really hard, think it could possibly be some form of vaguely human esque communication. I could write a book about the stories of my "Italian" in Italy.

That Richland looks like it would make a pretty nice squirrel gun.

I fed myself for several years at the end of the Carter presidency with hapless squirrels, a Remington 552 Speedmaster, and garage sale .22 shorts. I don't need a shotgun for squirrels. Those were lean times, and I packed the freezer in the basement that I rented with enough squirrels to last a good long time.

Haven't eaten one since I found full time work in 1982. If I need them again, bless their furry little hearts, they are still there. I haven't forgotten it. Haven't voted left of center for my whole life, since Carter led from behind, so to speak.

The picture doesn't really do the Richland justice. But, Miller has already pointed out, here, and elsewhere (as have I) that the 707 was a hell of a lot of gun for the money.

Better pictures, here:

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...true#Post449134

Still would love to hear any history of the companies involved with the guns.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ah, the 552 Speedmaster, accurate and reliable, always worth a plug, Ted. I've owned one for 50 years.

Sidelock
Sidelock

552 Speedmaster is about the only .22 semi-auto that still handles shorts. The silent killer with CCI short hv hollow points.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The trick isn't handling shorts, it is handling shorts interchangeably with longs, and long rifles. That is a good trick, and the 552 and earlier 550 did that well.

I have a Glenfield .22 auto, that will shoot shorts, but, won't cycle the action and reload itself. I think my Ruger 10/22 did the same thing, but, that gun had such a lousy trigger, I got rid of it in short order.

I think I answered a question for you about your 552, prior to you buying it, over on the old SS board, John. My bolt action 581 Remington is no more accurate than the 552. Glad you have enjoyed the accuracy.

Winter, 1980, left me a hungry boy, out of full time work, and with a 3 year old 552, and two boxes of shorts. Dinner on Sunday at Mom's, but, the rest of the week I ate squirrels. Some bunnies, but, mostly squirrels.
I had ammunition left in the spring, and a full Montgomery Ward chest freezer, left by a former renter, in the basement.
Life got better, but, not soon enough.

Can't sell that gun.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
The trick isn't handling shorts, it is handling shorts interchangeably with longs, and long rifles. That is a good trick, and the 552 and earlier 550 did that well.

I have a Glenfield .22 auto, that will shoot shorts, but, won't cycle the action and reload itself. I think my Ruger 10/22 did the same thing, but, that gun had such a lousy trigger, I got rid of it in short order.

I think I answered a question for you about your 552, prior to you buying it, over on the old SS board, John. My bolt action 581 Remington is no more accurate than the 552. Glad you have enjoyed the accuracy.

Winter, 1980, left me a hungry boy, out of full time work, and with a 3 year old 552, and two boxes of shorts. Dinner on Sunday at Mom's, but, the rest of the week I ate squirrels. Some bunnies, but, mostly squirrels.
I had ammunition left in the spring, and a full Montgomery Ward chest freezer, left by a former renter, in the basement.
Life got better, but, not soon enough.

Can't sell that gun.

Best,
Ted

Great story Ted. Reminded me of the one my dad told me. He let us boys shoot his single shot bolt action .22 one weekend in the Santa Cruz mountains above Santa Clara Valley. Would have been the '60s (don't know what happened to it after he died). Driving up into the hills he related how one weekend during the Depression they didn't have anything to eat, and grandpa gave him the .22 with the last 10 rounds they had, and told him to make 'em count. He shot ten squirrels but only came home with nine, as the last one hung up in the tree impossible to retrieve. He said grandma made a big stew out of them, and at least for a while, hunger was but a memory.

Mike

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
Sidelock
Sidelock

The secret to the Rem feeding the shorts was its, floating chamber. The barrel was bored out at the back to receive this chamber which was about the length of the short case. As it started to recoil the gas pressure hit the end of the chamber as well as the case & thus gave it more surface to push against so the impetus to eject the short. When a LR was fired the case extended beyond the chamber sealing the gap so it only received the thrust from the case head. Ingenious.& no doubt patented though I have never tried to look it up.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike,
Really early on in the game, I learned from my Dad NOT to use long rifle rounds for squirrel hunting. The standard and high velocity rounds of long rifle would leave a bushy tail stuck on a branch, where the lowly short would knock his ass down.
I did use LR to dispatch skunks caught in my fox sets, as there seemed to be less drama (and, stench) involved. We also used LR to snipe at raccoons on a friends farm, working a night shift to keep his Dad's sweet corn from being marauded by those wretched beasts. We would park a car with the headlighs on down the road that ran next to his Dad's corn, and have at 'em as they crossed in the middle of the night. It was fun until about midnight, then, it was just another 3rd shift job.
We got paid by the kill.

I have a lot of time involved with .22 rifles, but, not recently. My kid will shoot for about a half hour, then reaches for some electronic device of some sort.
I would have shot (and, did a few times) from sunup to sunset.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I was a terror on the squirrel population here too, Ted, as a kid. Was given a .410 J C Higgins double at 8 yrs. old. They thought a .22 was too dangerous to turn me loose with, they said. My family didn't eat squirrel, so I sold them out of my Dad's country store for $.25 each, uncleaned. Shells for the .410 cost me 12 cents apiece, so if I had to shoot twice I broke even on the squirrel. When I finally got my first .22, a Remington Nylon 11, I did the math and decided that within a few seasons I was going to be rich!, one .22 bullet cost waaay less than a 3" .410 load of 6s, and would knock a squirrel out of the very top of those tall virgin yellow pines. I got $.50 for a rabbit and $2.00 for a 'coon. Market hunting at an early age. smile

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan did you ever notice that you couldn't sell a rabbit, squirrel or coon at all without the head attached? Too many guys around here would slip in a cat or a rat shot over the hood of a pick-up for any of us to trusted selling headless game...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yep. When I started trapping I would catch a lot of 'possums. 'Possums sold good as long as they were alive when the buyer came. I'd come home from running the 'line many mornings with 3 or 4 'possums waddling around in the back of my pickup. They couldn't climb out. They'd all be gone by lunch, usually.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 15 of 16 1 2 13 14 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.