May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (Roundsworth, vern21), 863 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,527
Posts545,850
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 16 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16
Sidelock
Sidelock

You're very welcome Sir, I know what you mean about the Model 12, a lot of people love those guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: treblig1958
Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Slight diversion: In the Army, Infantry is the "Queen of Battle". Artillery is the king. And the Queen tells the King where to put the balls.

Mr. Brown with all do respect, when you were in weren't they still using flintlocks? smile

More on point I've taken geese with a 16 gauge using Kent's Tm but that was when we were out duck hunting and I'm an average to below average shot at best.

No . . . but I did carry an M-1 for a long time. Broke the stock on the one I was issued in Basic . . . overly enthusiastic "butt stroke" on a bayonet assault course. Thought my $78/month pay would disappear for awhile to pay for it. Instead, the drill instructor--who I think was pretty surprised, because M-1's make excellent clubs--got a big smile on his face and said: "By God, that's the spirit of the bayonet!"

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
I believe these are the loads of which you speak, Larry:

I have a good stock of these laid in, am I to understand they are no longer produced? I haven't hunted waterfowl in thirty years, but, seeing the results on real, wild, pheasants, with these, makes me question how someone could say a 20 gauge load, even a 3" 20 gauge load, could be superior. I don't own a 20 that I would be in a hurry to feed 3" ammunition. A lot of them kill on both ends when loaded like that.

I was checked by a warden at a federal WMA, and I'm sure he thought he had me on a non-toxic shot violation when he saw 16 gauge ammunition.

Best,
Ted

No, I was thinking of the Kent 1 1/4 oz TM loads--which they stopped making. But like any 1 1/4 oz load, those could also kill on both ends in a 16ga, if it happened to be a light one.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry,
I hardly ever use an 1 1/4 in a 12! My Dad bought a lot of locally produced (Federal, right up the street) 1 1/4oz loads prior to steel becoming the law. If he saw them out of season, on sale at the gas station, he would buy them all.

I have a bunch of 12 gauge lead 4s in that load that are pretty much useless to me.

1 oz loads, in a 16, is about all I can stand. Out of the Nitro, those loads are lively, but, doable. I wouldn't shoot sporting clays with them, but, for mopping up late season roosters, at local WMAs, on birds that have seen some pressure, they are about perfect. More walking than shooting (sometimes, it becomes a bit of a track meet) in that case, and a 16 works well with those loads, even more so if the place is non tox only.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ted, pity demand couldn't keep around Kent's 12ga TM 2 1/2 inch 30 grams fibre wad 7500 psi. A joy to shoot and poison for waterfowl; I used only No. 5s.

I have to brace my feet with current Kent TM 1 1/4 on high-angle shots using Beretta 686. (I gave away a flat for xmas presents for that reason.)

Sidelock
Sidelock

In my opinion a light weight 16 gauge upland bird gun is not a good waterfowl gun and for waterfowl, I use a much heavier 12 gauge. Nor do I want to haul a heavy 16 gauge shotgun around the uplands or any other heavy shotgun regardless of gauge.

My #2 AyA weighs 6 lbs. 2 oz. choked Imp. and Mod. patterns 1 or 1 1/8 oz. loads beautifully from her 2 triggered controlled barrels. For upland birds 1 and 1 1/8 oz. of ejecta is all that I need.

Also, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I think that the slim profile of a sidelock 16 gauge SxS with a straight stock, splinter grip and two triggers is what a Upland Queen should look like.

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

As a general rule neither the 1¼ oz 16 short magnum nor the 1¼ oz 3" 20mag is loaded to as high a velocity as the 3 3/4-1¼ 12ga load thus can be shot out of a bit lighter gun. I have shot a few 3" 20's from a 6¼ lb gun. You definitely knew it went off & would certainly not desire to shoot a round of clays with it, but under hunting conditions with thick clothes & not a bunch of shots fired in rapid order it wasn't bad. Have also shot a handload oif 1¼oz from a 16 of similar weight @ a lowered velocity & it was even milder. Shooting steel of course you have a lighter charge weight with higher velocity. Space in the shell is really the limiting factor for either a 16 or 3" 20 when it comes to waterfowling. They were both adequate for most of it when Lead was still legal. Non-Tox was their downfall as far as waterfowling goes.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Miller,
True that. While researching a 20 gauge Prandelli & Gasperini (Richland Arms) double I came into a while back, I found an article by Francis E. Sell in the 1977 Gun Digest, titled "The Twenty Comes of Age" detailing his notion of using the 20 with big lead loads for geese and ducks. Within three hunting seasons, most of what he wrote was obsolete with regards to waterfowling and heavy loads of lead shot.
The same issue had an article on the then new Ithaca 3 1/2" Mag 10, an ominus bellwether of things to come.
About 1978, or so, I used a Remington model 17, with 2 3/4" high brass loads of lead 6s, to hunt ducks near Cold Spring, MN., on a small private lake with a maximum depth of about 6 feet or so, and wild rice covering about 80% of it. We had spectacular hunting, and at no time did I feel under gunned. When I did my part, the teal and mallards rained from the sky.
I never hunted ducks with a 20 after that day, and never hunted ducks again after steel became mandatory.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Francis Sell was a big proponent of the 20ga 3" mag. That Richland 707 isn't a lightweight 20, and I'm pretty sure I recall that they were offered with 30" barrels. More or less Sell's idea of a "light duck"/moderately heavy (for a 20) upland gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A Richland 707 is the 3" 20 of which I spoke, They were available in 30", but mine was 28". As I recall they could also be had in 26". By actual measurement on an accurate scale mine weighed 6¼ lbs. They were as I recall generally advertized @ 6 3/4lbs with the 30" barrels. As I recall I bought this one mail order for $129.95 & it was the last gun I bought that I didn't have to sign a form for. It was of course a long way from a "London Best" but was a lot of gun for the money. Ended up giving it to my Son when he started hunting with me & he still has it. He did kill several ducks with it though the only waterfowl I ever personally shot AT with it was that one Blue Goose. This was all in the days of lead. The use my Son made of it on ducks we were hunting in a swamp & shots were close as far as ducks go. He killed his with 1oz of #6 shot quite dead, as they say you can't get any Deader than Dead.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Page 13 of 16 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.