May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (steve f, NCTarheel, Ken Nelson, eeb, 2 invisible), 237 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,528
Posts545,861
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 16 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 15 16
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Miller, the 16 was reasonably popular in my part of the country as well, with pheasants and waterfowl being the primary species when I was starting to hunt. Back when we could shoot lead at ducks, a 16 wasn't much of a handicap. And although those Belgian Sweet 16's aren't ultralight by any means, they're one heck of a lot lighter than an A-5 in 12ga. Quite a few 16ga pumps in use back then.

I think that many men switched to 16s in their autumn years because of weight. My Grandaddy shot a 12 ga. S x S until he shot it loose, then bought a 12 ga. 1897, and believe it or not, wore it out on quail, ducks, doves and turkeys. In his later years he bought a Rem. M11 16 ga. which now resides with me. I have to believe it had something to do with weight.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Stan, I think it had a lot to do with weight. And, for that reason---picking up on your word "men"---a reluctance to advertise the reason.

To our credit, I've noticed during the time I've been here there's been increasing comment about the smaller gauges with no apologies for using them.

It raised the notion in my head that there may have been a lot more 16-gauge going on than we thought. We just didn't want to appear effete!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Maybe that's why they call it the "Queen" of guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

What? Are you guys serious? Not carrying a 16 or 20 because you might appear effete??

Maybe I'm weird but I've never chosen gun gauge to make my dick look bigger or to prove my masculinity to anyone. And I don't know (knowingly) any hunters who do.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

James, you're not common. I know lots of guys with magnumitis who believe bigger gauge bigger man. They brag about using 3-inch and more to get the job done. I don't know if it derives from notions of masculinity or knowing better or having the money to buy consumerism's latest gimmick. I do know they look down on smaller gauges in a duck blind. There's as much ignorance afield as anywhere else.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I used the word effete with OED meaning of feeble, exhausted or worn-out, lonesome, not as feminine as so many believe. Good catch, though.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: King Brown
James, you're not common. I know lots of guys with magnumitis who believe bigger gauge bigger man. They brag about using 3-inch and more to get the job done. I don't know if it derives from notions of masculinity or knowing better or having the money to buy consumerism's latest gimmick. I do know they look down on smaller gauges in a duck blind. There's as much ignorance afield as anywhere else.

LOL Maybe it's a Maritime thing. Actually King, I would be more impressed by a guy who gets the job done in an effective and humane way BY USING A SMALLER GAUGE. More skill required, in theory. And I'm not too impressed by the trend to 3 1/2" 12 gauge. Seems to me to be a version of blaming your equipment. But that's me. When everyone is doing one thing, I look very closely at doing the opposite. A little contrapuntal by nature.

I think many of us here are that way. Hell, we all use SxS. grin

Last edited by canvasback; 01/10/17 12:33 PM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: lonesome roads
Maybe that's why they call it the "Queen" of guns.

The 16ga isn't "Queen" of guns I don't bother with this gauge because I can get 12ga English or Continental double that is very, very light. If I was into American classics I admit buying 16ga A.H.Fox with certain barrel weight or Parker Bros of certain frame size and barrels makes the endeavor vary, very worthwhile.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I went through the 16 gauge thing in the 80's and well into the 90's. Then I got over it. I realized it offers nothing over a 20 gauge in today's loadings, even moreso when you factor in the 3" 20. Maybe 60 years ago, but not today.

Today, the 16 gauge is a purely emotional choice, and I understand that 100%. Sometimes, it is a situation of choosing the gun, not the gauge, where you say "well I love this gun, even though it's a 16, and I'll take it anyway". All things equal otherwise, you would have really preferred a 20. Not necessarily every time, but more than not.

And I would not rule out owning another one. I still have my Dad's 16 ga Model 37 Ithaca that I grew up shooting and haven't shot in 50 years, but I certainly don't want another 16 at this point. Good luck and good shooting to all those who do.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow, an actual discussion about guns without politics. I love it.

So many guns, so little time!
Page 6 of 16 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.