April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (CJF, David Williamson, Argo44, graybeardtmm3, 2 invisible), 455 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,479
Posts545,209
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 38 of 49 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 48 49
Sidelock
Sidelock

Carrying on Owen's theme, I had the chance to introduce my neighbors, a family of four, to hunting and shooting. The wife was the driving force, and really wanted to go. Pointing out to her husband how fortunate he was, he got both girls a Red Ryder for Christmas, and they met me out at the property this last Friday. Safe muzzle direction and straight trigger fingers were oft heard admonishments, and by and large everyone absorbed and followed an avalanche
of information. I make no apologies that there are more pics of the wife- she was very enthusiastic, and a whole lot prettier than her husband.

We did shotgun:

Here she broke her first target:

Pistol:

Rifle:

and Red Ryder

The youngest was only interested in observing

Cocoa did her usual good job of retrieving, while I had the four of them observe only while I chased a few birds:

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
Sidelock
Sidelock

The wife really wanted to try to shoot a pig. I told her the chances were low to have them there with what little time the family had left, but that the chances were zero if we didn't go. One hour after shooting a rifle for the first time, we walked about 500 yards to see if there were any pigs by the feeder (though not often there, this was about the best time of day to try, the last 30 minutes before sunset). The "First Hunt Planets" aligned, there being three pigs at the feeder. Having her husband hand her the rifle, I picked a safe shooting lane, and had her kneel and take her time, as they were not aware of our presence. Her 60 yd shot broke its back, and I had her finish it off with my 1911. One very happy lady and family. They are hooked for sure.

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
Sidelock
Sidelock

My hunting partner and I were invited up to hunt Mississippi on another friend's property last week. My son came along, actually in hindsight, I think, my son was invited to hunt and I was only there as a driver to get him and the dogs to the property. My friend's family has about 2400 acres, along the Mississippi river, that has been in their family for over a century. He is making some habitat changes to increase the woodcock on the property and wanted to check bird numbers. We tried for woodcock, but hot weather and southern winds proved to make for an unsuccessful trip with the dogs. The second morning, after a change in wind direction, 3 woodcock were seen on the trail to the deer stand, but we didn't have time to run the dogs the second day.

The property owner wanted to get my son his first deer, but my son got buck fever and didn't have a safe shot on a little buck, so we passed on a shot. The deer pictured with my son was taken by my hunting partner, my son was happy just to hold the antlers. It was a great trip...

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yesterday in the lowcountry. A few that got past dollysods up north. French 16 gauge Brun-Latrige. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

jeez Gil. Try to miss a few. My pup needs some bird work this spring on northern bound woodcock. frown Nice looking little French 16 gauge. Where are the Brits? Wouldn't they hold still for a pic? smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chad and Mike, great pictures of what had to be a great time. Great to see both of you bringing new people into the sport (whether offspring or neighbors, doesn't matter!).

Mike that just awesome about the wife getting the pig first time out.

Last edited by canvasback; 01/08/17 05:26 PM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gil,
So that's where all our Northern woodcock went!
Karl

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Karl, they are here on schedule. Rick, we missed a few that will be coming your way in a few months. My Abby and Willa hunted yesterday. They don't like being photoed. wink This afternoon with Floyd, Sadie and Pop. A cold day in the 'cane.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gil,
Following the woodcock South on their flights to extend my season is on my "bucket list".
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm giving them a go in the morning Gil

Page 38 of 49 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 48 49

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.