May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Southern Sport, AGS, SKB, 1 invisible), 591 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,500
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

http://www.naturabuy.fr/IDEAL-PERFECTION-TYPE-ANGLAIS-item-3619970.html

This model of Ideal, built to appeal to the British, is a very rare item. Wingshooter and I have only ever seen 3 come up for sale. The other two have been up in the 20,000 Euro asking range so this gun is listed at quite a discount. Any Ideal fans feel like taking a good look and picking it apart?

BTW, Last question in the question and answer section is a reasonably polite request for the seller to post a photo of the flats and proofs. Seller basically tells the person asking for the pic to quit wasting his time and F*** Off. It's quite stunning and is one more thing that gives rise to our suspicions.

Last edited by canvasback; 01/07/17 10:12 PM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would rather have "Anglais a la Birminghamou". The metal to metal fit isn't particularly good. Perhaps it has been taken apart and put together too many times I don't know. I would pass. For 20,000 Euro or USD I would search for second-hand Granger. Some years ago Hallowell & Co had very nice 20ga Granger SLE for kool $20,000. It did not sell quickly because unless it was made in London, Brimingham or Gardone typical buyer in USA doesn't know what they're looking at. Manufrance isn't Granger but they did make some that resemble Scottish round actioned game guns. Those Manufrance Ideals are very, very nice and unique looking. That is what I would search for.

Sidelock
Sidelock

yo no ablo fran ce...est disen der frencie boxlockengon mit der false sideplatzennottens?

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

No, ed. Back action sidelock. No burn marks, that I can see.

James, the engraving was quite nice, and the wood is spectacular. The rest of the gun has the appearance of being quite tired, however. The laundry list of needs on the thing could be quite extensive. 8K is still 8K, after all.

There has got to be a continental sidelock that is a better risk than this one.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ted, not considering spending money on this one. Just looked off to me and wondered what others thought. I like deals but this one has the air of fakery somehow to me.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

For those of us fans of Ideals, this one furrowed our brows on a number of fronts. Without giving away the store, let me note a few observations of Messr. James and myself: Sling swivel mount on butt stock, lack of sharp lines in engraving, and perhaps related to the latter, the mysterious spot behind the left fence. Price point and seller's response pique the interest: not to purchase, but engage in the study of a fine firearm whose "mass production" was anything but "cookie cutter." Mike

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
Sidelock
Sidelock

uh, tedschultz...ifn disen est der sidelockengon, where est der pins holden der locken partz unt der placen?

Last edited by ed good; 01/08/17 10:30 AM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Of course it's not a sidelock, although the sideplates do offer more canvas for the engraver's art work.

To me, the wood in the buttstock looks unusually fancy, almost makes me guess restocked. But the checkering looks fairly worn.

Mike, what's it cost to import a gun from France? Think I've heard $500 or so from the UK these days.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Of course it's not a sidelock, although the sideplates do offer more canvas for the engraver's art work.

To me, the wood in the buttstock looks unusually fancy, almost makes me guess restocked. But the checkering looks fairly worn.

Mike, what's it cost to import a gun from France? Think I've heard $500 or so from the UK these days.

Larry,
Continental guns can fool you, here and there, but, look at this picture:

http://www.naturabuy.fr/IDEAL-PERFECTION-TYPE-ANGLAIS-item-3619970.html

There isn't any way to access the "box". No plate, no screws to hold the plate on.

Looks like the bottom of every sidelock.

The pictures aren't the best, but, good enough for just about anyone to walk away clean.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted's assessment is spot on, Quite tired indeed.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.