May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (Karl Graebner, DaveB, bushveld, Jolly Bill, 2 invisible), 172 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,536
Posts545,984
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't know,

"Its not a Model 12, the tag's wrong."
"A Model 12 has 2 barrels."
"That's a Model 21."
"Oh."

"I need 38 long colt."
"What caliber is it?"

Good bye and good riddance.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I bought an Ithaca 5E Trap gun from the Sidney store. Did the whole transaction, sight unseen from Mexico. I was very happy when I picked the gun up 4 months later...I had it shipped to Steve Bertram. I shot it one season, as I intended and took it to the Cabelas at Lone Tree to sell it before I went back to Mexico. I fully expected to take a good loss on it. The dude in the Gun Library offered me literally nothing for it BECAUSE IT DIDNT HAVE A SAFETY....Sold it elsewhere..

Sidelock
Sidelock

A couple of years ago I was over at Simpson's Ltd. in Galesburg, IL. They do quite a bit of importing from Europe. At that time Bob Simpson told me that Cabela's had recently bought a 200 gun lot of doubles from them. Most of the guns were Field Grade, and had come from all over Europe. (Mainly Spanish, German, and Belgian, but some Eastern guns as well) Anyone notice an influx of these guns at their store? Knowing what Simpson's usually charges, I'm curious to know what Cabela's is selling them for.

Regards
Ken
Ken

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Safety-- good area for further discussion-- About 2 years ago at the Grandville Cabela's GL- in the outside the Libray doors used sales racks, I spotted a Winchester Model 11- $325.00 tag. I explained to the GL manager on duty that safety hazards with a "widow-maker" like that flawed design has- he said they would remove it from the rack and scrap it out- 2 years later, it is still gathering dust on that same rack in the same store.. Best one I've heard about the dipsticked level of the GL clerks- not in my area store, but I heard this somewhere on a gun chat forum: Customer asks about a Colt 1911- in .45ACP-- and then next to it in the locked case, a 1911-A-1 in .38 Super. Here's what the clerk told him: "The 1911 will only work with black powder loads- if you shoot a modern load in it, it could blow up the barrel- he also explained that the 1911-A-1 was a revised 1911 made with alloyed steel to handle smokeless powder loads-- and when asked about the difference between a .38 Super, as in the later (mid-1930's era) 1911-A-1) and the .45ACP round, the clerk told him that the .38 Super was a much more powerful round, comparing it to the difference between a .38 Special and a .357 Magnum. Wow-- As a footnote, I wish I had been there, as I would have loved to have heard the clerk's reply to this question: "OK, can you inter-change the .38 Super rounds with a .357 round? They both have the same NBD, just as do a .30-06 and a .308!!

I have no problem with BPS- if I still were fly fishing, I'd be a customer- wonder how and when they will liquidate the Cabela's gun Libraries- as for the monopoly, or even a monopsony focus in the Fed's over-view of the merger, don't forget we have a pro-Big Business POTUS on deck, coming in soon..

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is the problem with a cabellas clearance sale. If you have a gun over priced by 100% how long will it take to sell at 40-50% off. 40% is still over priced, 50% is full price. And some of their guns are more than two times true value. They had a $600 .410 that was priced at 4K not that long ago. That baby will take awhile to sell at 75% off. That's been their problem with not knowing the true value of what they are selling. If they sell them too cheap they still were making money but if the paid too much for them then most likely they would either sit on inventory for years or loose money when they cleared them out.

Sidelock
Sidelock

[quote=Run With The Fox]Customer asks about a Colt 1911- in .45ACP-- and then next to it in the locked case, a 1911-A-1 in .38 Super. Here's what the clerk told him: "The 1911 will only work with black powder loads- if you shoot a modern load in it, it could blow up the barrel- he also explained that the 1911-A-1 was a revised 1911 made with alloyed steel to handle smokeless powder loads-- and when asked about the difference between a .38 Super, as in the later (mid-1930's era) 1911-A-1) and the .45ACP round, the clerk told him that the .38 Super was a much more powerful round, comparing it to the difference between a .38 Special and a .357 Magnum. Wow-- As a footnote, I wish I had been there, as I would have loved to have heard the clerk's reply to this question: "OK, can you inter-change the .38 Super rounds with a .357 round?

One does not need to shop at chain sporting goods stores you really do not. I got second hand M45A1 with plastic box, papers, cleaning kit for kool $1300 plus tax. That was at LGS. Great pistol I have even learned to like the desert sand finish. No need to go and overpay for things at Cabela's gun library. They do have decent quality clothing Hecho en China, but only in stupid camouflage. sick I can get street-type clothing in different colors at BassPro or better yet at SteinMart.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hechan in China, amigo mio y in calazador-hermano, no es verdad. Hechan is the past plufect of the root of the gverb "to make_"-- Hecho in China- Make in China- Hechan in China, made in China- Y muy Buena suerta in el neuvo anno, amigo-- El Zorro

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

You guys need to keep in mind that both Cabelas and Bass Pro are big box stores and their target is the middle class to lower middle class married shopper. If you want quality you need to shop at Orvis or Beretta Gallery. Bass Pro is smart because they cater to kids and to the wives. A guy can take the family for an outing and go to a Bass Pro. He gets to play with the guy goodies the wife can shop cloths and be taken to a good place to eat and the kids can see Santa Claus, play with the toys and look at the stuffed animals. Cabelas was the gun library which is great for us guys but the wife and kids are soon bored. Cabelas has spent major bucks on their stuffed animals but they are not displayed well.

I worked for Cabelas during their conversion from a family owned store to a corporate store. The change in the atmosphere was remarkable. Family stores are usually run by people that love their creation and the atmosphere is warm. Corporations are run by MBA's and the atmosphere is often cold.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

A new Cabelas store is supposed to be coming to Macomb County in SE Michigan. I wonder if the plan will go through. I visit the one in Dundee on occasion. The new LL Bean store near me has very little hunting apparel.
Karl

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

A new Cabelas store is supposed to be coming to Macomb County in SE Michigan. I wonder if the plan will go through. I visit the one in Dundee on occasion. The new LL Bean store near me has very little hunting apparel.
Karl

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.