May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (eeb, Ken Nelson, Borderbill, 3 invisible), 250 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,537
Posts546,033
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

I once had a Beretta S55BV with duck barrels (Silver Snipe)
I wanted skeet barrels so I sent a letter to Beretta
and gave them the serial number and model and said I wanted
a set of skeet barrels. I asked what I needed to do. They said
send money and an address they already had the specs for my shotgun.
I was in the country of Turkey but rotating home so I sent the money and a stateside address, in a few months here they came
and fit right on. go figure.

This was in 1979.

Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Saskbooknut
I think there is a snowball's chance in July of finding a spare set of barrels.
You would look a while to find another similar gun in Canada.
I believe it conforms to the specs of the 424 as listed in vintage books and catalogues and Wilson's Beretta history.

Couple problems with this gun as a 424: Cabela's shows a 424 on Guns International. It has a silver receiver (I'd call it more French grey than coined), and it does not appear to have a vent rib. I can't recall having seen a 424 with a blued receiver or a vent rib or a single trigger. Were all of those options available on the 424?

I'm hanging with the GR, or whatever variant of a GR might have been imported in Canada, or possibly brought back from Italy. We know they were offered with blued receivers, single triggers, and vent ribs.

Sidelock
Sidelock

To see guns that look very much like the one we're discussing here, go to Guns International and look under Charles Daly shotguns. Check out the Charles Daly Empire Grade sxs. Cabela's have 2 of them, Mark Beasland a 3rd. Other than a beavertail vs splinter (or maybe semi) and a nonselective single trigger, they look to be very close matches.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Given "Black Onyx" (I think other name was 626--blackened action and choke tubes) had no x-bolt and some were made for 89mm magnum cartridges indicates that only Purdey double under-bolts are needed for sufficient strength. They could have made cross-bolt and no cross-bolt "GR" variants at same time for different markets. While in Anglophile countries x-bolts are not admired they are loved in places like Germany and Austria. "Fritzies" certainly love extra bolting.

twogone Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

WOW!!!! I can't believe you folks. What a wealth of information and knowledge. I can't thank you enough for all your thoughtful input into my so very insignificant inquiry. I wish you all a very happy, healthy & prosperous New Year and some fantastic shooting in 2017.
Cheers; Twogone

Some folks use statistics like a drunkard uses a lamp post; for support rather than illumination.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Twogone, you'll find this place very helpful that way. We both like to help and to try and solve puzzles like the one you've presented to us.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Who was Beretta's importer to Canada in that era? It shouldn't be too tough to come up with a catalog, or a reproduction, from Abey Books to find out.

There are plenty of Galeif and Garcia catalogs, and I doubt anyone else was importing Beretta while those two companies were doing it. But, maybe there were several importers to Canada?

Also, if the big market (US versus Canada) had guns speced a certain way, it would make sense that the Canadian market got things just a little bit different, to ease possible production shortages. Maybe no vent ribs in Canada, or cross bolts, on guns that usually had both, here in the US?

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: skeettx
I once had a Beretta S55BV with duck barrels (Silver Snipe)
I wanted skeet barrels so I sent a letter to Beretta
and gave them the serial number and model and said I wanted
a set of skeet barrels. I asked what I needed to do. They said
send money and an address they already had the specs for my shotgun.
I was in the country of Turkey but rotating home so I sent the money and a stateside address, in a few months here they came
and fit right on. go figure.

This was in 1979.

Mike

Mike,
DO you still have the gun? That sounds like a winner. My Silver Snipe, plain as vanilla ice cream, is one of my favorites. 26" barrels, Mod and Imp Mod chokes. Great pheasant gun.

You ever decide to part company with that one, remember me. I'd be interested.

Shoot it in good health. Happy New Year.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

The gun left my company some time ago frown
I was bewitched by a Browning Superposed smile
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: skeettx
The gun left my company some time ago frown
I was bewitched by a Browning Superposed smile
Mike

How do you feel about the trade now that you've used the Superposed for some time, Mike?

I cannot see myself ever getting rid of my 20 ga. 687 SP II Sporting for a Superposed. It is a death ray.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.