May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (eeb, R Reynolds, NCTarheel, MattH, 67galaxie, 1 invisible), 838 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,495
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#46697 07/02/07 07:51 PM
CParker Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Today I shot 50 rounds through my Parker Repro with double triggers and my index finger is bloody. Any hints on technique to aviod getting blood all over myself while shooting at the range? Double triggers never seemed to bother me while hunting, maybe because of gloves or just not as much shooting.

CParker #46701 07/02/07 08:13 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sell it to me for pennies on the dollar?

Last edited by StormsGSP; 07/02/07 08:15 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Back your grip up; don't use more than the tip of your finger to pull the triggers.

Always looking for small bore Francotte SxS shotguns.
Randall #46703 07/02/07 08:38 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

What kind of loads are you using to make that much recoil?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Maybe keep your index finger away from the muzzle?

Seriously, I shoot only double trigger guns, and my middle finger is more likely to get bloodied when launching fast steel duck loads during a good shoot. Which side of your trigger finger is getting bloody, the nail side or pad?

Ben

CParker Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I appreciate the helpful feed back...

-Gun's not for sale thanks anyhow
-Loads were just 1-1/8oz number 8's
-Its the nail side of my index finger

I think I need to try and use just the tip tip of my trigger finger, going back tomorrow to shoot it some more.

CParker #46719 07/02/07 09:29 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

The original Parkers had an articulated trigger if you wanted to order it that way. A better cheap cure would be a light load of 1 oz. and a shooting glove. Also is the gun real short? Sounds like there is a a lot of movement back? A slip on pad might fix you up.
bill

CParker #46722 07/02/07 09:38 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just a comment... shotgun triggers generally should be pulled hard, "Crushed" is my favorite term, straight back and with authority. If pulled hard enough your finger should stay on the trigger, with the trigger back, until the gun comes out of recoil.

Put the trigger blade behind the first joint from your fingertip. Pull like you mean it.... hold it there while following through with the shot, head down, tracking flight path, etc...

There will be plenty of time to switch to the second trigger after the first shot is finished..

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
CParker Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Bill, I have one of those pads and I'll try it. The gun probably is a bit short, I think most of them are 14-1/4, I shoot best with at least 1/2 inch more pull.

I love the way the skeleton butt comes up the the shoulder and the pads seems "sticky" but I'll use it tomorrow and see what happens.

Are there folks reading here that own both single and double trigger guns that find it easy to switch between the two (do you get flummoxed on doubles?).

CParker #46729 07/02/07 10:12 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I shoot double trigger and single trigger guns interchangeably, and have since 8 years old (I'm 55, now). Grew up on a double trigger. I cannot remember once getting mixed up when switching from double to single and back, although some shooters say they do. I think if you've never used double triggers, and want to learn to, you should shoot it exclusively for a little while. It will become second nature. Start out, as most folks do, by shooting the right barrel first (front trigger), then the left barrel. After this becomes natural, and it will, try shooting the left barrel first, then the right. One of the great advantages of double triggers is that, if your guns barrels are choked differently, you have immediate choice of chokes without fumbling with a barrel selector.

I would second the suggestion to lengthen the pull. In fact, I like to shoot as long a pull as I can mount comfortably. I was fitted as needing 15 1/4" (from the front trigger) but can shoot up to 15 3/4" well. Grasp the grip firmly, but not white-knuckle tight. Gloves are o.k., but they will not cure the problem. They will only keep the trigger from hurting as much when it hits you.
Work on why it is doing that in the first place. You will never shoot the gun well if, in the back of your mind, you are expecting it to hurt you every time you pull that front trigger. I prefer to pull the trigger with the pad of my finger almost down to the crease at the first knuckle. Never have a problem with bashing the trigger finger. I shot a straight gripped 32" Fox in the Ga. State Championships last year just for fun. Two hundred targets in two days plus side games and my only problem with tenderness was my right thumb which wraps over the top of the grip got very sore from the safety bumping it in recoil.

Stick with it, it's worth the effort! Stan

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.