May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (CJF, Little Creek, smp190), 578 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,533
Posts545,954
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
Some modern guns made of alloy steels have been chemically colored, "From the Factory". Note that this is just colored, Not Color Case Hardened. Part is heated to around 200F & the chemicals painted/daubed on. This can be done with Cold Blue.
Note also this is not the same process as "Torch Coloring" where the torch is held on one spot long enough to produce the color desired & Also Destroy the previous hardening. The Chemical coloring does not affect the integrity of the metal but of course will never look as well as a bone charcoal job, though can look as well as a lot of cyanide ones. I have no idea how well it holds up, but at least is easy to do again.

My Perazzi MX8 was done this way. I have worn it off the bottom corners of the receiver, but the flat areas have help up very well for several years of regular clays shooting. I don't pamper it either.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Stan;
Where I first learned of this process was from an Ithaca service manual printed back in the early 1980's. I don't recall the exact dates nowe but they either were or recently had been importing some Perazzi guns. They gave full instructions for refinishing one of these by this method. There recommended Cold Blue was the old formula 44-40, but at the time I tried some Brownell's Oxpho & could see little if any difference. I didn't do any high dollar guns this way but tried it on a few cheap Stevens etc, mostly single barrels.
Ithaca recommended heating "Uniformly" with a propane torch until a drop of water would sizzle then daubing or painting the cold blue on with a Q-tip. With a bit of practise a rather nice finish could be produced.
As I said earlier even though a torch can be used for the heating this is not to be confused with the "Torch Coloring" process, which in my opinion is nothing short of a Crime.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

piper: what exactly is the torch coloring process, as you under stand it?

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ed;
The Torch Coloring I am referring to is where one takes an acetylene torch adjusted to a hot flame & holds it in one spot on the metal until it changes color.
This will of course produce mottled Temper colors, but it also will destroy/draw the hardness of the original case hardening & in my opinion should never be done.

Even though a torch can be used in the chemical method I described it is not held in a manner to concentrate the heat to heat a spot enough to change the color of the metal. In fact no "Tempering" is done, the metal is simply warmed uniformly until it attains an all over temp of around 200F. This does absolutely no damage to the original heat-treatment of the part.
I would think the part could just as easily be heated in an oven, I just described the way Ithaca wrote it up in their Service Manual, & they suggested a propane torch for the heating.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

piper: agreed, one should avoid destroying original factory heat treatment...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ed good
piper: what exactly is the torch coloring process, as you under stand it?

Why are you acting like you don't know about the destructive torch coloring process Ed? Surely you remember selling many psychedelic beauties like this Sterlingworth you sold on Gunbroker:

In my opinion, you are just doing more of your Trolling again, and attempting to run away from your past history here when you used Ed1 as your user name. Don't you remember telling us in Misfires how you loved the smell of burning steel and urine? Don't you recall how you used to tell us that it was some gunsmith named old Ed Lander who did your dirty work on the torched guns you sold?

Since your memory seems to be failing you, here's some links to several old threads where people "admired" your barbequed guns:

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=53571&page=1

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=30933&page=1

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=130206&page=7

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=130454&page=4

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=128706&page=6

I especially enjoyed the second one because that ended up with you getting banned for a spell. Of course, there is something more destructive than torch coloring... and that's when anti-gunners like you make calls for disarming the U.S., as you did right here in your post #407727

as for the gun control issue...we are the only country in the world that seems to tolerate mass murder, in the name of an individual right...its about time that we as a society realize that we are over gunned with too many super dangerous weapons in the hands of too many super dangerous people... it is long past time to do as the rest of the civilized world has done and simply, disarm...

Or here in your post #407863:

disarm...seems to work for the rest of the civilized world...

why not us?

Happy New Year Ed. Same as the old year Ed.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

yawn...

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.