May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jolly Bill, fullandfuller, Ted Schefelbein, AGS, R. Glenz), 759 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,497
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#46330 06/29/07 10:32 PM
Brian Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here is a 1903 Sporter I picked up. No marks indicating who did the work. Has the usual European fixings. Course checkering but deliberate. Note the touches at the forend tip. 30-06 with Springfield barrel. Hendsolt 4X in claw mounts. Double set triggers, 2 leaf rear sight, but not very good bluing, me thinks it was reblued at some point. 3XXXXXX serial number range.

Anyone have any ideas?

I have a few more pics.
any ideas on who might have made this would be appreciated

Last edited by Brian; 06/29/07 10:33 PM.

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Sidelock
Sidelock

Can't help but have a closeup of the forend detail you speak of?

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

After WWII both German and Austrian Gunsmiths were only allowed to work on guns owned by Allied personal. I believe that it was not until 1952 that they could own, manufacture and work on other guns. Your rifle is typical of this period in history with a high mounted scope, flat bolt and double set triggers. It’s hard to fit a set of DST’s into the Springfield triggerguard so they normally used a shotgun triggerguard but I see they managed with your rifle. These were made by any gunmaker who wanted to work in his trade. Workmanship ranges from crude to well done, yours is above average for the time. Post war West Germany with it’s ruined economy was a great place for a GI with a few dollars, large numbers of these were converted. So to answer your question your rifle was made by an unknown gunsmith in Germany post war trying to make a living as best he could. Rarely are these marked as to who did the work, some will be found marked Wiesbaden Rod & Gun Club which was run, I believe by the US Air Force. I've been there but don't remember a lot about the place.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks like the forearm treatment may compliment the oak leaf motif in the bottom of the grip panel, but its difficult to see in the photograph supplied.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hand-assembled all the way.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's a nice gun...but if you can't tell which side of the pond this gun was made on, just by looking at it...what is there to discuss?...even the bases where made on this side...not the scope and rings...but the bases...ask any experienced checkerer...look at the stock lines

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think MP nailed it down as good as can be.

The stock lines don't look American to me....other than the missing Schabel.....it might have took a dip in the pond and a Beaver chewed on the stock after it got here.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a similar Springfield. The stock on my gun was decidedly more Tuetonic i.e. Schnable forearm and Euro cheek. The length of pull was nearly 16"!!! The scope (in claw mounts) was Polish military.It also had double set triggers.The workmanship was average at best. No identifying marks.

Regards,
Ken

Dodging lions and wasting time.....

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.