May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Guy Ave, cable, Warren A, 1 invisible), 437 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,500
Posts545,479
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
The guys with tubes seem to put a couple in, and then forget they are there. Nice to be able to change, but, few guys actually do. Best,
Ted

There you go again, projecting your narrow experience onto all of shotgunning. When will you get specific and quit with the blanket statements? Never? Maybe in your world nobody changes choke tubes, but in mine, they're changed according to need. I shoot about 20-25 flats a year with guys who all shoot guns with choke tubes, even though 90% of mine do not have them. How about you? Have you polled shotgunners all over the world to know how many of them change choke tubes? If not, how can you say ...... "few guys actually do"?

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Cobbhead #465002 12/09/16 10:34 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't mess about with changing chokes now that I have them the way that I want.
Just my opinion on what suits my kind of hunting.
Whatever the gun I like to have one full choke barrel at least.
It suits my shooting which is pest birds on crops & a lot of fur. I want that full concentrated heavy shot BB - 00 SG pattern whack on fur.
I have read & agree with that once you have learned to shoot full choke well, there is no going back to more open.
I have two Live pigeon SxS's, one is 100 & other is 90 years old. Both are choked fairly tight Between .030 - .040. I think that they knew what they were doing, boring the gun that way.
They wanted to ensure a close kill on a fast rising target & had a lot of money riding on the outcome.
Some of those birds would be a bit shot heavy to eat though.
I have shot rabbits with 7 1/2 shot & full choke & separating the meat from the shot is like picking fly specks out of pepper.
O.M

Cobbhead #465027 12/10/16 10:43 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan,
I suppose there are guys that change chokes every day, and some guys who change chokes for every shot.

I don't shoot with them though. Might be a blanket statement, but, more than one guy here has noticed that once you get them where you want them, they seem to stay put. I think most guys hanging around my club get to a point where they can shoot their gun competently with the chokes they come to decide on leaving in, and let it go at that. They change guns before changing chokes. If tubes were such a valuable and needed option, then why do they lower the price on the typical old double they are installed on?

How 'bout "Few guys at my club, who shoot on one of the leagues I participate in for the last 25 years, shooting about the same quantity of flats in a year, as one Stan Hillis, from Georgia, mess with their chokes tubes at the club. And, a guy who goes by the name Moses on doublegunshop doesn't mess with them much, either".

That better?

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan,
And, a guy who goes by the name Moses on doublegunshop doesn't mess with them much, either".

That better?

Best,
Ted

Typical English or European pigeon gun sometimes better known as Taubenflinte is better than Winchester 21. With right kind of ammo one can take them Wildfowling on the marsh. That is good because there will be something worth taking feathers off and stuffing freezer full with what is left after those feathers are removed.

Cobbhead #465032 12/10/16 11:09 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

On the changing chokes deal . . . I find myself in between Stan and Ted. (Which means I'm likely to get crushed from both sides!) Several years back, I had Briley put Thin-Walls in a 16ga Poli. I shot 000/005 for grouse and woodcock; 005/015 for prairie grouse and pheasants. Since I typically start the season on the prairie, then hit the woods for grouse and woodcock, and then hunt pheasants . . . I changed twice, for hunting purposes. Had I gone to TX to hunt quail after the pheasant season, I likely would have changed back to the more open chokes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan,
I suppose there are guys that change chokes every day, and some guys who change chokes for every shot.

I don't shoot with them though. Might be a blanket statement, but, more than one guy here has noticed that once you get them where you want them, they seem to stay put. I think most guys hanging around my club get to a point where they can shoot their gun competently with the chokes they come to decide on leaving in, and let it go at that. They change guns before changing chokes. If tubes were such a valuable and needed option, then why do they lower the price on the typical old double they are installed on?

How 'bout "Few guys at my club, who shoot on one of the leagues I participate in for the last 25 years, shooting about the same quantity of flats in a year, as one Stan Hillis, from Georgia, mess with their chokes tubes at the club. And, a guy who goes by the name Moses on doublegunshop doesn't mess with them much, either".

That better?

Best,
Ted

Yeah, that's better. But, it's a long ways from "few guys actually do". Why didn't you say "few guys I shoot with"? Never mind, I know why.

SRH

L. Brown #465074 12/10/16 09:06 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
On the changing chokes deal . . . I find myself in between Stan and Ted. (Which means I'm likely to get crushed from both sides!) Several years back, I had Briley put Thin-Walls in a 16ga Poli. I shot 000/005 for grouse and woodcock; 005/015 for prairie grouse and pheasants. Since I typically start the season on the prairie, then hit the woods for grouse and woodcock, and then hunt pheasants . . . I changed twice, for hunting purposes. Had I gone to TX to hunt quail after the pheasant season, I likely would have changed back to the more open chokes.

You don't understand either, Larry. I don't change choke tubes, I shoot with guys who do. I shoot a fixed choke MX8 at clays, 98% of the time. I'm not championing changing choke tubes, I'm challenging Ted's statement that nobody changes choke tubes. Ted just thinks he can make blanket statements and everybody will go along with him. Either that or, he doesn't care how wrong he is.

SRH

Cobbhead #465075 12/10/16 09:21 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan,
In what school in Georgia does "few" = "nobody"?

Did you go to that school?

You do realize you have actually made a blanket statement, and I did not, right?

Best,
Ted

Cobbhead #465076 12/10/16 09:25 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted, in what school, in wherever North you live, does "few" equal those that I shoot with? You first, since you made the initial claim.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 12/10/16 09:28 PM.

Cobbhead #465078 12/10/16 09:29 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

None of our schools, Stan. You already pointed out you don't change choke tubes, so, that is at least one.

1 does equal few, Stan.

You done now?

Best,
Ted

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.