March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (David Williamson, SKB, HalfaDouble, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 391 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
Sidelock
Sidelock

That open top crucible surprised me, wonder if it was staged.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

There are several videos of people using an open top crucible on you tube, one of which is Robin Brown. I think the charcoal is creating enough off gas to keep the parts in an oxygen free environment. Check out the crucible coming out of the oven at the 4 minute mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oceR5f8d9WM

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GGress
That open top crucible surprised me, wonder if it was staged.

Surprised me too. It appears that the bottom may be glowing red.

The open top and unknown, but seemingly significant, distance to splashdown is not in line with the text either.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

The interesting thing to me is the size of the crucible and the courseness of the charcoal. It looks like plenty of fuel to consume O2, and apparently very little of it burns down. Even with smaller examples, it's always been a curiosity to me when some folks put a slip of paper in a crucible to 'consume excess oxygen'. He must have case coloring in his DNA, touching the parts seems to be no problem?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I always put the small piece of paper in my crucible but notice that it doesn't make a difference if packed good and tight with coal. I take my lid off right at the tank but believe that since the coal pack is at such a temp any oxygen will be burnt immediately. When I crack my oven at quench time there is always a subtle flame from the lid as oxygen is entering the oven chamber and being burnt. That is why I have made a longer crucible so that the parts sit deeper in it preventing any oxygen exposure causing a flash burn. At 1375F any oxygen is going to be burnt nearly immediately.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hereford

I was looking at a later 40's LC Smith with much remaining color and noticed the side plate, top and bottom receiver screws looked CCH'd along with the receiver/sideplates/trigger plate.

Are you using your actual screws to assemble prior to CCH'ing? Any problems with removal?

Thanks

Travis

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The receiver is assembled during the cch. I have everything snug but not fully tight and haven't had any issues affecting their timing but they are a bit tighter as expected. I have had the rear tang screw bend once which I thought was odd but have heard of other people having that happen on Smith's but is uncommon.

Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.