March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
11 members (cable, craigd, battle, AZMike, FlyChamps, Hammergun, 1 invisible), 378 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,008
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#464367 12/04/16 03:26 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A friend popped in to the shooting ground with this J D Dougall with the London address. I am sure many of you will be familiar with the 'Lockfast' action, but it was the first I had seen and been able to shoot. It is in such wonderful condition that I thought I should share a few of the photos I took.
For any of you not familiar with this mechanism the barrels move forward slightly to unlock when the side lever is pushed down before dropping open. The other interesting feature is that the breach face has two 'bosses' which push into the back of the chambers as the mechanism is locked, securing the cartridges very firmly in place and preventing gas leakage. I understand that Dougall was an advocate of the pin fire mechanism and this gun certainly has the look of a pin fire. I am not sure if this is a conversion or it was built as a centre fire with the 'look' of a pin fire. Enjoy. John

Oldfarmer #464370 12/04/16 03:48 PM
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

It looks like a converted pin-fire to me.

Look at the breech end of the right barrel and it looks like a block has been inserted where the "hole" for the cartridge pin would be and a faint indication on the left side.

Also, the side views show the way the wood has been "lowered" to make way for the center-fire pins leaves the tang very proud of the wood.

Oldfarmer #464371 12/04/16 03:50 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

That is an absolutely beautiful JD Dougall, every facet of this gun is top notch. One of my favorite actions, and a highly underrated maker. Excellent gun. Thanks for posting.

Oldfarmer #464374 12/04/16 04:33 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

That is a beautiful JD Dougall 'Lockfast' in fantastic condition.

I believe I read some place where one of our more distinguish British authors used his JD Dougall to resize his brass empties because the camming action on the Lockfast is so strong. Although he was reluctant to admit to using a JD Dougall as a piece of reloading equipment.

Oldfarmer #464375 12/04/16 04:39 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Old Farmer, that's a really nice set of pictures. The Dougall Lockfast was a wonderful mechanism, especially considering it's 1860 birth. One of my favorite possessions is a pinfire 10 bore sold by Richard Jeffery of Guildford [sp??] , actioned by J. Wilkes, and marked with the Dougall Patent signature. It's a 10 bore, weighing in the mid 7 pound range and a delight. I am in awe of the workmanship of that era. The case contained a full set of pinfire reloading tools by George Jeffries.

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 12/04/16 05:07 PM.
Oldfarmer #464376 12/04/16 04:48 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks like a pinfire conversion to me.

Oldfarmer #464382 12/04/16 05:55 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am absolutely green with envy. I keep searching for a "light", nice condition Dougall. Maybe someday.....

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Oldfarmer #464416 12/05/16 12:01 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks like a conversion but it is a very fine looking gun in wonderful condition

Sidelock
Sidelock

Old Farmer,

Thanks for sharing those pics, i love conversion pieces as they are a interesting part of our gun making history!

Daryl,

that's a super gun and must take pride of place in your collection. I have a particular soft spot for pinfires i hope i find one as good one day!

Oldfarmer #464421 12/05/16 05:23 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

The firm had an interesting history and, as I'm sure you know, had the John Wilkes connection too! This is what IGC has on them:

Name John Dougall / Dougal
Other Names J & J Dougall; J D Dougall; J D Dougall & Sons
Address1 88 Trongate
Address2 177 Trongate
Address3 177 Trongate & 9 Argyll Arcade
Address4 52 Argyll Arcade and 177 Trongate
Address5 51-52 Argyll Arcade and 177 Trongate
Address6 23 Gordon Street
City/Town Glasgow
County Lanarkshire
State/Region/Province Scotland
Country United Kingdom
Trade Gunmaker
Other Address 59 St James's Street, London; 8 Bennett Street, St James's Street, London.
Dates 1760-1896

Notes

John Dougal (Dougall) (John (I))established his business in 1760, possibly at 88 Trongate, but it was not until 1808 that he became a hammerman and purchased his admission as a burgess and guild brother. In 1816 he was recorded at this address as a fishing rod maker. In 1818, he described himself as a needle and fish hook maker. In 1819 his son, James Dalziel Dougal (James (I)), was born. In 1819 John (I) was admitted to the Incorporation as a fish-hook maker and his "essay" was to make "a small steel opener". In 1826 he moved to 177 Trongate, and in 1828 he opened an additional shop at 9 Argyll Arcade where he described himself as a fishing tackle maker.

In 1830 the business at 9 Argyll Arcade traded as J & J Dougall. At this time James (I) was only 11 years old, so it seems that his partner must have been a relative, possibly a brother. In 1831 the business at 177 Trongate traded as John Dougall, fish hook maker, but the business of J & J Dougall opened another shop at 52 Argyll Arcade where it traded as fishing and fowling tackle makers. In about 1840 John (I) appears to have retired or died, as does his relative in the business, and it was continued by James (I). From 1840 the firm described themselves as gunmakers, fishing & fowling tackle makers. From 1841 the business traded as James D Dougall and it seems their only premises were at 52 Argyll Arcade. At this time James was 22 years old and recently married to Janet (b.1818). In 1842 James' first son, John (John (II), was born, he was followed in 1844 by a daughter, Margaret, and in 1850 by a second son, James D (James (II)). In 1844 James (I) was admitted as a burgess and guild brother. In 1845 he was admitted into the Incorporation as a fish-hook maker, his "essay" being "a square broach or widener".

By 1848 the firm had acquired additional premises at 51 Argyll Arcade and James (I) described himself as a fishing tackle maker and practical gunmaker. An advertisement at this time stated that the firm had been established in 1760 and offered "an extensive assortment of Fowling pieces" and "in the workshop department every care is taken in the manufacturing of guns, the best material only being used and superior workmen only employed"; "Guns restocked and bored to shoot close and strong". From 1850 the firm occupied 23 Gordon Street and traded as gun maker and fishing tackle manufacturer. An advertisement at this date stated "Fowling pieces. Rifles etc. made to order to any style or pattern. and their shooting warranted, being bored and tested on an unerring principle." In the 1851 census James and Janet were recorded living at 3 Cathcart Street. James (I) was described as a fishing tackle maker employing 8 men, Janet was described (probably an error which actually referred to James) as a gun maker employing 6 men. They were living with both sons and their daughter, Margaret. In 1854 James (II) described himself as a gunsmith and fishing tackle manufacturer. James (I) was one of the first English gun makers to recognise the potential of the breech loading guns exhibited by Lefaucheux at the Great Exhibition in 1851, and much of the later success of his business was to come from them. In 1857 "The Field" published an advertisement which read "BREECH-LOADING GUNS.-In addition to the manufacture of the very superior Fowling-Pieces which have gained the Advertiser so great celebrity as a gunsmith, he has now respectively to state that he is preparing to take Orders for BREECH-LOADING FOWLING PIECES. A few excellent light Double guns on hand, of best quality, will be sold at a very moderate price, as he is now working entirely to order against next season.-J. D. Dougall, 23 Gordon-street, Glasgow. Established 1760."

On 3 March 1859 J D Dougall registered patent No. 566 for a muzzle-loading breech action with recoiling chambers and a long nipple vent which ignited the front of the powder charge. In 1869 James(I) and Janet had a third son, Norman W, who later joined the business. On 7 May 1860 James (I) registered patent No. 1128 for his famous "Lockfast" action, where the barrels, rotating on the hinge pin which also acted as a cam, slide forward before dropping down, and lock into bosses on the action face when closing. The first version of this was a pin-fire gun with an upward moving lever, the improved version was a centre fire with a downward moving lever. Twelve or so years later, Dougall introduced a snap action version. The patent was used by Holland & Holland, amongst others. In the 1861 census James (I) and Janet were not recorded anywhere in the UK, they may have been on an extended visit to London. However, the rest of the Dougall family were living with the Colquhoun family at 124 Pitt Street. Peter Colquhoun was a commission merchant, it may be that he was a relative, perhaps Janet's brother. John (II) was aged 19 and described as a gunsmith, James (II) was 11 years old and a scholar, Norman was only 2 years old. In 1862 the firm exhibited their guns in London and were awarded a medal.

On 8 October 1863 James (I) registered patent No. 2468 for a hinged chamber for punt guns and other large guns. In 1864 James (II) described himself as a gun and rifle maker and fishing tackle manufacturer. In this year John (II) was left to manage the Glasgow shop and James (I) and James (II) moved to London where they opened a shop at 59 St James's Street. James (I) became involved at this time with the Schultze gunpowder company, precisely what his involvement was is unknown. Over the preceding years, James Dalziel Dougall had increasingly devoted himself to writing to shooting magazines (under the pseudonym of "A Scottish Gunmaker") and writing books. Amongst his titles were "Scottish Field Sports", "Shooting Simplified" and "The Rifle Simplified". In 1865 he republished "Shooting Simplified". In 1866 the firm was awarded a medal at an exhibition in India, no record of this exhibition is known. In 1866 James (I) and William Bartram (a London implement and powder flask maker), patented a powder measure (No. 1984).

In 1867 the firm exhibited guns in Paris and were awarded a medal. John Wilkes worked for the firm from around 1867. In 1868 James (I) described himself as a "patent lockfast gun and rifle maker and fishing tackle manufacturer", and in 1871 as a breech loading gun and rifle manufacturer. In the 1871 census John C Dougall was recorded as a gunmaker manager living with the Beaton family at 13 Partick, Glasgow. The rest of the family were recorded at 51 Bedford Gardens, Kensington. In 1872 J D Dougall was appointed Gun and Rifle Manufacturer to the Prince of Wales (later Edward VII), who ordered a Lockfast gun. From about this date Dougall guns carried the Prince of Wales' feather crest on the action, or words referring to the Royal Appointment. The firm was also given an appointment to the Duke of Edinburgh (Alfred) but the precise date this occurred is not known. In 1875 James Dalziel Dougall wrote "Shooting: Its Appliances, Practices and Purpose" (republished in 1881).

On 24 April 1877 J D Dougall registered patent No. 1590 for a guardless folding trigger. In the 1881 census James (I) and his family were still living at 51 Bedford Gardens. James was recorded as a gunmaker employing 10 men, James (II) and Norman were described as gunmakers. In 1882 the firm moved to 8 Bennett Street, St James's Street, London, and started to trade as J D Dougall & Sons. In 1887 James (I) became a director of the Smokeless Powder Company Ltd (The Smokeless Powder and Ammunition Co Ltd). On 28 February 1891 James (I) died aged 72, and James (II) took over the firm. In the 1891 census the house at 51 Bedford Gardens was occupied by Janet, James (II), Margaret and her daughter, and Norman. James(II) described himself as a gun and gunpowder maker, Norman described himself as a gunmaker.

In 1892 James (II) became the first Chairman of the Armourers Club (the Gun Trade Association), a position he held until 1895. In 1893 he was recorded as Managing Director of the Smokeless Powder Company Ltd. In this year the inaugural meeting of the Inanimate Bird Shooting Association took place with James (II) as chairman. In 1895 the Glasgow business was sold to Charles A Ingram (nephew of the famous target rifle maker). In 1894 James (II) died aged only 44. It would appear that John Wilkes, in the position of manager, ran the business for his executors until 1896 when it closed and Bozard & Co took over the premises. There is a report that states that John Wilkes became a partner in the business in 1871, and another report that the date was about 1879, but Wilkes later claimed that his own business was "established 1880". The business in Glasgow was continued under the name of James Dalziel Dougall & Sons by Charles A Ingram who, in 1904 moved it to 3 West Nile Street, Glasgow, and in 1912 to 18a Renfield Street, Charles Ingram's address at the time was 18b Renfield Street. In 1920 the firm occupied 4 Bothwell Street, Glasgow, it ceased to trade under the Dougall name between 1923 and 1929, although the firm of Charles Ingram continued until 1946.

Other Info
The firm sold Eley Pegamoid cartridges under their own name, they also sold a cartridge named the "Shield" (post 1880).

Tim

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.