May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (SKB, ClapperZapper, earlyriser, CJ Dawe, 2 invisible), 588 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,496
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Late yesterday I was notified that my credit card info was compromised by a hacker. They wouldn't say how it happened but apparently about 5% of the accounts were hit. They claim they know how it happened and that it won't happen again. Well it won't happen to me again because they just lost my business. My question is how did it happen the first time.

Just thought I would give everyone a heads up.

Jim

I've never met a bird dog I didn't like.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I use a debit card account that is set up just for internet transaction. Just before I pay a transaction I transfer money into this debit account. Then this account is used to pay the piper. It has a $50.00 balance the rest of the time. Figure that if it, account information, is stolen and all they can get is $5.00 then not too much is lost. My bank tells me that no other information or money can be lost this way. Eight years so far and no problems. Knock on wood.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Your liability for bank fraud is $50 bucks total. Credit card or whatever. Don't make yourself crazy and don't let the banks or credit card companies lie to you. Jake

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net
Sidelock
Sidelock

I signed on to "Craig's List", a national web based trading post kinda ... within 3 days someone printed up checks using my checking acct and used my Craig's list acct to buy furniture in Colorado and place a downpayment on an apt. Both the furniture and apt was listed on Craig's List. From their response, they get it all the time and have done NOTHING to stop it.

The sellers alerted the banks and got it stopped, but ole Craig did nada.

Sidelock
Sidelock

While it is true your liabilty is limited to $50, that has almost no relevence on what could likely happen over the next 12 mon ths. People who make that statement have not been through the ringer. I know, as I used to make that statement before it happened to me!

I had identy theft and spent scores of hours cleaning up the mess. I wish I had trakced the hours just so I would know. And no one reimburses you for the week of your life that is pissed away cleaning up the mess left by a criminal. I don't know about you, but a full week of my life that is totally wasted is worth more than $50 to me! It lasted for at least 10 months, and I am still not 100% sure everything is cleared up. The moeny lost is the least of your worries. Getting calls from collectors 9 months from now will make you want to hop a plne to Nigeria and choke the guy who stole your info.

skunk out
Sidelock
Sidelock

Set up a dead end account like mine and forget the problem. If they get into this account they get no personal information, no real bank account information with any real amount of money behind it. It is not a personal account with my personal information. No SS#, date of birth or any other personal information behind it. I could post the account number here and I am sure that it would get hundreds of hits by "information thieves" but they get nothing of mine and no real money. It would be easy to close out and that will end the risk. Anyone who can get a bank to honor a dead account is beyond my control and the bank will take the hit, not me.

Boxlock
Boxlock

The dead end account sounds like a great idea. But I don't understand how a person can do that, because a bank requires SS# and personal information for each account.

"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be
disarmed." - Noah Webster

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.