May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (DSchrank, 1 invisible), 807 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,497
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

The one I let get away is rather mundane, compared to those posted earlier. Mine was a garden variety Remington 513-T .22LR bolt action target rifle that I learned to shoot 4-position small bore on and shot through high school and college, bringing home my fair share of hardware. I short-sightedly traded it on a Ruger single action .22 with two cylinders, which subsequently got traded on something else, long forgotten. Wish I'd kept that rifle, now. -- Ed

Keep outa the wire...

This is far too depressing to think about, let alone read about!

Last edited by Roy Eckrose; 06/30/07 03:22 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

An early "transition" 28 gauge Winchester Pigeon Grade Model 101 Skeet gun. It was a Pigeon Grade in finish, engraving, grade of wood and checkering pattern, but it had standard shape to the stock and forearm, and it had a standard vent rib. I have never seen another Pigeon Grade set up this way.
What was I thinking when I let it get away?!

Ole Cowboy
Sidelock
Sidelock

Whew...I thinking a little closer to Hamilton or St Cathrines...Elwood's shop is a long way off for you...isn't it called Grampa's Cartridges now? I like to stop, there when ever I go fishing in Gravenhurst...It's a good place to sniff out Newton rifles...every time I stop there are at least three..I've only seen one .33 Newton Rifle and it was there (.33 Newton is the very same as 338 Win except without a belt)...you can spin the belts off 338 brass and away you go...
The only take-down Newton rifle known to exist sleeps in Hamilton...it's a two barrel set...probably made by Flues after the demise of Newton Arms
an ultra rare L C Smith 12ga Marks Grade sidelock (about like a Specialty grade) sleeps in Ft. Erie.
over two dozen folding Burgess shotguns, that were ordered by NY Police Commissioner Teddy Roosevelt wound up going to St. Cathrines in one lot.
a couple of different piles of Tobin parts remain near Woodstock..

Sidelock
Sidelock

My story will be a bit different I guess. I can not think, for the life of me, of one gun I have ever sold or traded off I would really want back. I have acquired a good many doubles, some semi-autos, rifles and pistols over the decades that I really thought I would enjoy owning and shooting. And I have. So, I still have them all. Every time I get the ache for some new particular gun I take stock of what is in the safe to see what I might sell or trade off to help acquire it and I never am able to part with one. I just don't get rid of guns that I waited for and finally acquired. Sorry, but I can't think of one that I would want back!

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Getting rid of my Guyot was zen like experience, getting rid of my Westley double 360 was a study in being short changed.
Never the less, glad to see the Westley go packing.
Wish I could go back in time and change the course of history and get back my first of three Frederick Beesley guns - it was perfect in all ways.

Last edited by Lowell Glenthorne; 07/01/07 07:46 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Isn't wonderful when out of some 6000?? members only a small minority have ever regretted in parting with a firearm. No wonder that gunowners are some of the happiest people you can be associated with, with so few suffering from the "pangs and agonies of out-rageous fortune". Actually, I only wanted to get to the front of the line again and maybe a few others, once the tears leave their tired old eyes, will respond. --- John Can.

Sidelock
Sidelock

How about stuff that you traded for a gun?

My grandfather and I had spent a couple of summers repairing old barns and boathouses on an older area lake when I was a early teenager. I collected baits from the ealry 1900's at this time. Together we found a lot of baits while doing this and I had a wall in my bedroom covered in glass eyed baits, many with the original tin boxes that they came in. Even had a Mason (jar company) glass jar minnow trap that is extremely rare.

Anyway, when I turned 15, I wanted to get some other gun to hunt with than the hand me down Model 12 20 ga. that I had (teenagers are dumb). I really wanted a Remington 870 Wingmaster Magnum to duck hunt with. I found one that was used from a local and I was about 100 bucks short. So, off to think about how to come up with the money.

There was a fishing lurer dealer I knew and I showed him my bait collection. I asked him to make me an offer and he refused to tell me a number. Just kept asking what I wanted. Finally, I said $2 each for the approximately 90 lures and other items. He said he would do $120 for everything. Stupidly, I took it as I wanted that 870 badly. Went to the person's house and bought the gun within an hour.

Still have the 870. Took it to college with me. Took deer, ducks, geese, rabbits, phesants, quail, woodcock and other assorted animals with that gun. Still, I wish I had the lure collection back. It was worth several hundred then and well over a thousand today.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.