March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Dan R, canvasback, David Williamson, craigd, ChiefAmungum, bsteele), 321 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,984
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

IMHO, the Jones had a good run of some 40-50 years and served well. It was ultimately supplanted by other bolting systems, all of which were supplanted by the top lever (for practical consideration). The Jones gives away nothing in strength but is slower in reloading. I doubt manufacturing costs are much of an issue. The slower reloading is an issue only when your purpose requires increased firepower, say flurry competition. It was supplanted because more firepower could be had with equal, or at least adequate, strength. I enjoy shooting guns of Jones underlever bolting for novelty and honor of their antiquity. In its day it was a "great leap for mankind." That's catchy.

DDA

Sidelock
Sidelock

I like the lines and the balance of my Charles Ingram underlever. It is a bit slower to load, but I don't have the luxury of shooting driven game either... It does not bother me being a little slower. BillK

Last edited by BillK; 10/19/16 11:35 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Most Jones under levers are from the early years of doubles. Call it from 1870-1890's. I know a few were made even into the between the war period but most are 120-140 years old. Worn out examples are numerous I am sure but I have seen a good many which worked just as well at they did when first made. Even when used in double rifles they seem to hold up well. Slow and steady they last a long time.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My fault, I did not clarify that it is not the Jones lever that is turned to open the gun, but the snap action type of underlever that is pushed forward, the system used by Jeffery in the original big bore express double rifles. It was also used by James Woodward and some other doubles I have seen over the years.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I have OWNED several of them, very nice to use and ergonomic. The spring required to power the lever is a bit difficult to make. The spiral spring Woodwards are nice as well.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have two. This is a "Greenman" 12b Mortimer that I fell in love with probably because of the engraving. Scottish guns often have a little something different in their engraving patterns.

And this Smith 16b hammer gun. This, of course, is the thumbhole underlever. I don't find it as easy to use (maybe because I'm a left handed shooter) as the push forward on the Mortimer.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Jones rotary under lever was in its day the strongest bolting system produced . This is why it was popular for heavy caliber guns and rifles. .As Henry Jones never took out a full patent it became public property and thus used by many makers without having to pay royalties . With the improvement of materials and manufacturing techniques it became , like most other locking systems superseded. Like all bolting methods it had its advantages and disadvantages .

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you want to talk with a dealer who knows and speaks very highly of the push forward design call Kirby Holt at Vintage Doubles. He shot one several years for his personal use I remember. Often he has a few on hand and his evaluation of guns is very complete.

Like I said I had an Adams push forward under lever that I really liked but the barrels were scary thin and by the time I bought it Teague was not taking on anymore lining work. I bought with the intent of having them line the barrels to save the Damascus pattern which was as beautiful as a fine burl stock. I so wanted to keep it I almost had Briley fit a set of 20 tubes in it but that would have destroyed the balance of the gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Note I did not say, or even imply, the Jones design was "Weak". I simply stated its main "Strength" characteristic was in bolting the barrels down. The main force on a break action gun is Axial. While true the friction of the barrels being tightly secured to the frame can, & likely does, take some of the strain off the hinge but adds nothing to the flexing back of the standing breech. There are other systems which equal or exceed the aid to the hiunge. I highly suspect, though do not have actual figures to substantiate it, a properly fitted rear lump on a Purdey style double underbolt has gives more assist to the hinge joint than does the friction incurred in the Jones design.
It is also noted that most reputable makers of doubles intentionally do not bed the barrels to the frame, but have them stop with bearing on the standing breech & a thousandth or so clearance between the barrel & action flats.
A properly fitted Greener Crossbolt of course adds resistance to axial thrust at the "Top" of the standing breech, What better place is there than that to put it.
As I enjoy shooting muzzleloaders on occasion Speed is not my main consideration. If I had a double with a Jones underlever I would no doubt shoot it & enjoy it, but I just don't see it as having a major advantage in the strength department.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Miller, IMHO, you may be missing a point. I would expect that the rear of the locking cam would engage the back of the "lump" and unload the hinge pin and hook. Since the lever pivot is substantial if not massive, the cam to lump joint should support a very significant forward shear load. If the hinge joint is unloaded, the opening moment (rotational force) will be around the cam/lump joint and there will be bending force only between the lever pivot and the breech.

Perhaps someone can confirm/refute this hypothesis.

DDA

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.