March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (WBLDon, jake van dyke, MattH, Mills, Marc Ret, 1 invisible), 843 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Anyone use an unerlever opening SXS? I thik W.J. Jeffery, James Woodward and some others built doubles with underlever opening.

I am wondering how handy the lever is in use, how it compares to top lever operation. Mechanically it has definite advantages both on terms of leverage and simplicity of construction. It is the handiness that leaves a question.

Last edited by Shotgunlover; 10/20/16 05:24 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I never had but two. An old Boss gun and a Needham single I once owned. I found the under-lever slow to operate in comparison with either a top lever or side lever gun...Geo

Probably could've gotten used to it if I'd shot the guns more. I like the MF Ideal trigger guard lever best.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Are you referring to the Jones rotating under lever? If so they are slower to operate, some do it quite well. But they are one of the strongest fastening systems ever used.

There are other types of under levers. One is a push forward and the other is a pull upward operation. I had a Adams with a push forward lever that I liked both the styling and operation of. Unfortunately the barrels were paper thin and they had stopped doing the Teague lining by then. Lovely brown Damascus wall hanger it was with barrels less than .015, one spot just about where my thumb and finger would rest.

Side levers work quite well if you come across one take a good long look at it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I use my Stephen Grant Jones lever quite often in events and I am used to it and
it is near an unconscious move to open it. It has non rebounding hammers which adds to the drama. One modern equipped co-participant said it looked like it came with the Mayflower!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tell me in plain simple words what makes the Jones underlever any stronger than any other good bolting system. As I see it all it does is hold the barrels shut. Holding the barrels closed is one of the minor factors of "Strength" in a break action gun.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Miller, as I see it, the Jone's system literally bolts the barrels down to the action bar and no movement is possible. And if it's properly built it also retards most of the rearward movement. I've heard more than one old gunsmith claim they've never seen a gun with the Jone's underlever off face. I can't speak to this though I have two with the Jone's system I'll never shoot them enough to know.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a Joseph Lang Jones underlever, non-rebounding hammer gun which is somewhat slow to reload but once you get used to the "dance" of half-cock then open it's fine for shooting where a fast reload isn't needed. It does fine on clays and is my favorite quail gun. As far as the strength of lockup I don't know because I've only put 6,000 rounds through this gun which was completed March 6, 1866 and it's as tight as the day I bought it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have the exception to the rule. I bought a Joseph Lang 2 years ago with the Jones underlever. It was off face when I bought it. But it had been through a hard life.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have an H grade twist bbl Lefever with Bolted Doll's Head. Gun has been used & abused, bores look like a sewer pipe, has a crack in the left bbl, stock is held together with tape. I bought it "Cheap" as a parts gun but haven't needed any parts from it.But you know what it's tight & on face, even with the ball hinge pin completely removed with just the Doll's Head holding. I fail to see any useful advantage to the Jones Lever which would outweigh its drawbacks.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've seen a few loose Jones under levers. They're slow to operate, but have few moving parts to wear or break, and lend stylish lines to a gun, I think.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.