April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (SKB, Roundsworth, Ian Forrester, Researcher, bushveld, 1 invisible), 1,125 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,146
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 49 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 48 49
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just got back from five days at the property. A few odds and ends to take care of, but mostly hoping the front had pushed some dove down. Lots of pics of Cocoa with a face full of feathers- hope you don't tired of them, so they're interspersed with some other pics.

One of the "to do" items was putting a liner in the old concrete stock tank, and putting 500 gallons of water in it. While pumping the first 250 in, a dove flew within 10 ft. of me. That spurred me to get the 16 out. Two minutes later we had our first bird of the trip:

In between the morning and evening hunt/shoot, there were other things to do. One was having fun hitting the 200 and 330 yard steel plates with the Garand:

Mojos work, and the higher the better:

Lots of time in between birds...

and they didn't seem to mind the music. No one around to be bothered by it, and made the time enjoyable:

So this post is not too photo heavy, I'll put a few more up on a second one.

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
Sidelock
Sidelock

The obligatory bucket, birds, and barrels shot:

I had finished the evening shoot yesterday with a double, these two birds. Shot the first one out of a group of about half a dozen coming into the Mojo, swung around and took the second outgoing. This honey hole is an open area of about only 30 ft. by 40, so the shooting can be very fast and close.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Could you please tell me of the fine instrument ?
O.M

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great pics, and I have learned in the last couple of years how right you are about the Mojo dove working better up high. I had used them atop center pivot irrigation systems for years, then Gil S gave me a three piece pole made out of lightweight aliminum tubing to use in other places. It increases the effectiveness by a huge amount, IMO.

Another trick for doves is to tie the cheap inanimate decoys onto a reel and rod that has fairly heavy line, then throw the decoy across the bottom line of a powerline. The bottom line on all distribution lines is always neutral, so there's no danger there, as you can't throw it high enough to get it over the hot lines up top. Reel up the slack so that the deke is right up against the wire, underneath it, and just let your rod butt sit on the ground holding the line tight. Two or three of those will pull doves from hundreds of yards. They don't seem to mind that the dekes are under the wire ........ if you don't shoot, they will light right beside, and above, them.

My son will be arriving from Tucson in a few days and maybe he can figure out why the old man can't get pics to post anymore. I've got a pile of them saved up. I'm sure enjoying everyone else's tho'.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: moses
Could you please tell me of the fine instrument ?
O.M

Am I to assume you mean the gun, and not the Bose Mini Soundlink?

An "Ideal" by Manufrance in 16 ga., 1937, two sets of barrels. The barrels in the photo were obtained from France in the white several years ago- fitted to the gun by Kirk Merrington, engraved by Doug Larson, and blacked by the late Doug Woodin. Round action with a retractable sling, it is a delight to shoot and to carry.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, pretty 16 Ideal and pooch. American Water Spaniel or Boykin?? Neat tripod for the Mojo. I use short piece of conduit one end flattened and cut to a point and have a short loop of paracord through the stake for my foot to drive it into the ground. The thin walled aluminum tubing sits on top of the stake.

Not only is the up high Mojo better on bringing them to you, it also doesn't attract low birds like the factory stake does. An old retired Ga. Power lineman chewed on some folks' butts for using the neutral line for decoys. He says he has seen arcing and claims the potential for bad results. He also said it was illegal. I know folks who have done it for years without harm, however. On two fields I hunt, the owners rigged dummy "power lines" through the long axes of their fields. Here are two line decoys I carved. Floyd Robbins has nothing to fear by my carvings being competition to his. wink In the photos, they are rigged to sit on top of the line, but have been modified now to sit below the line. Its easier to use than having to make it sit on top. Plastic ones work just fine. And as you write, Stan, it makes no difference. And, "no", Geo, that is not a woodduck nesting box but my diy dove stool. The gun is a 16 gauge, 1949 Ithaca M37R. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
... And, "no", Geo, that is not a woodduck nesting box but my diy dove stool

If you're gonna sit on a wood duck box at least buy a cushion...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had similar thoughts- that's one tough hide to sit on that wood box for any length of time. The thin cushion that came with my store bought bucket long ago became too thin for comfort.

As to Cocoa, the eyes and size give her away as an AWS. I call her "Fat Dog" (I know, mostly my fault. This dog lives to eat), but my friend Milton swears I renamed her NO BIRD!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I understand about retrievers named "no bird". I've had pointers whose 1st name might as well have been 'dammit'...Geo

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, that's some pretty wood on the M-1. I bet that International Harvester or whoever made the metal didn't make the stock. Gil

Page 14 of 49 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 48 49

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.