April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Marks_21, ClapperZapper), 846 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,109
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 49 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 48 49
Sidelock
Sidelock

A September Teal hunt in the deep South is an odd experience compared to the usual Winter outing. The lilly pads are all still green as well as the rest of the pond vegetation and there are no Coots down yet, only a few Gallinules. The Gators are not dormant this early and patrol just outside your decoys. No dogs of course!

Then a big drove of Bluewings comes over the pond and splits off into smaller groups which each in turn give your decoys a look, and usually plop right in among them. They're all LBDs (little brown ducks) of course this time of year, but they are certainly good eating if you work around the pinfeathers.

The only other ducks around will be Wood Ducks and Black Belly Tree Ducks down here. They are not included in the early teal season in GA though. The Black Bellies mostly migrate to Florida or somewhere before the regular season comes arrives in November. We have lots of them all Summer nowadays...Geo

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SKB
Had a great hunt for this guy last night....paid the price getting him out too! Nearly straight up and couple of hours later my hunting partner and I got him to the truck. My back hurts.....

Nice buck. Tell us about the smokepole. Gil

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

an inline I built years ago(never did finish that fore end) on a Remington rolling block action I converted to side-lever. 100grs of triple seven and a 248 gr powerbelt bullet. I had seen some real monster bucks on a very small sliver of public land two years ago and have been trying to put something together there since. I hunted it last year and never saw the bucks though my hunting partner did when he was after them with a bow. The place I took him was close to town and just a gorgeous setting. The other night we made a plan to walk the piece slowly with one of us on each side of the road that divides the public land. I had almost finished my walk with only a single opening and about 100 yards of land left to work and came around the last Juniper and spotted him the same time he spotted me. I stepped back behind the Juniper to decide on a game plan and it became apparent very quickly that he was not going to stick around. I made a bee line for a slightly higher spot on a rock out cropping which would give me a clear view of him and to my surprise a second buck was there as well. They were beginning to head out so I dropped to a knee, lined the sights up and squeezed. I clipped the top of his heart and he only made it maybe 30 yards. Then the work began.... that was one seriously up hill trip to the truck.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Itch to shoot 1963 Ithaca M37 16 ga. Thursday

Darne good dove day Friday. 16 ga..

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
Welcome aboard on your first post. Nice gun. A leather helmet, goggles and scarf would have been more appropriate gift than a ball cap from the Luftwaffe. wink Gil

I agree there. Those old Hatfield's were nice. They always put a nice stick of curly maple on their guns including their muzzleloading 'Kentucky' rifles and shotguns. I believe their shotgun parts were supplied from Spain, (or Italy, possibly? as my longrifle I bought in the 80's had Italian proof marks on it) and stocked by Hatfield in St Joe, Missouri.

Joe, could you shed some light on that?

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I like what the Luftwaffe hat represents, it says to all that the
freedom for us to hunt in America is honored in other location.

What joy!!

This week I was able to go duck hunting, dove hunting, skeet shooting, and fishing and totally without fear or interruption.

Mike

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: skeettx
This week I was able to go duck hunting ..................... totally without fear ........

Mike

I was a little apprehensive about sticking my head up out of the blind on Reelfoot. The bluewings were strafing us so low that, at times, they would nearly knock your cap off your head. I'm not kidding, never seen them fly so low over a blind.

I survived ................ lots of them didn't. wink

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hey all, great posts from you all! Keep them coming. Went out today with Wade Burns, was a very nice day, but very warm (low 80's). We didn't do as well as in the past, but did get some birds, I limited and Wade got one. We didn't see all that many, Wades dog Lakota, had a wonderful point, solid, Wade got his out of that group, I blew my shot. Anyway, it was a fun day (always is with Wade!)

The dogs (mine, Raina on the left and Wades Wirehair Lakota on the right)

I was using my 16b John Wilkes SLE today

Wade and Lakota. For a change of pace, Wade used his 16ga 11-48 with the old Cutts on her

Just a fun day. Hope to have more with Wade!

Best!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Opening day dove shoot in Alabama's South Zone yesterday. It was a good hunt even though I had probably the worst spot on the field. I was smack dab between two flight lines...both just barely out of gun range so 90% of the birds flew by untouched by me. But fortunately there were a lot of birds on the field to make up for that. We shot a 40 acre harvested corn field and many of the shooters limited out. I managed to get 10. Got a little wet by a few rain showers butt we had a good time. I used my 12-bore Arrieta 803.

gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi all, went out today after Church with my daughter Teresa and hunted around the house here. Tough day for the dog, hot (80)dry and windy (25mph) Hard for her to scent, but I did manage to get a limit of Huns, but...........lost two (hate when this happens!)they dropped dead in some very thick cover, the dog couldn't even find them, so only one in the hand. Did see grouse, but spooky with this wind and they all flushed out of range. Oh well, just one of those days. Won't be the first or last like today. Still good to get out with my kids.

Raina and Teresa

I used my 16ga Carl Goluch (made by Franz Soda)

Best!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Page 11 of 49 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 48 49

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.