March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (greener4me, NZHunter, SKB), 276 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#456076 09/12/16 11:37 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am looking at a LC smith Eagle grade, very nice gun overall BUT it has Masquelier Liege Barrel Manufactured in Belgium it also has a Simmon vent Rib,???? Is this something out of the deep Thanks to all that respond email me for pic of barrel flats jlyons1@comcast.net

Lyons Gunsmithing
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Is this something out of the deep

Yes, but that does not disqualify it as a nice gun. If the price is right it is probably a great looking shooter. I once bought a Parker D-Grade with a set of vent rib Boehler steel barrels, so what do I know?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a Q2 made in 1895 that had barrels made by Montgomery Wards sometime in the teens.....figured it originally had Dam-ascus barrels and the owner had them replaced while he still had his fingers....

gunut
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's some information on the Eagle Grade Smith. Damascus barrels could be ordered as an option until 1919 so yours could have originally been equipped with them.
Jim

Eagle (1912-1939)

Eagle Grade The 1913 catalog said "In introducing this new Eagle grade, we are presenting an entirely new type of ornamentation. This is especially designed for the shooter who wishes a medium high-priced gun, highly decorated. On the left lock-plate, with a frosted background, is a ring-necked pheasant in bold relief. On the right a duck in flight. The top and bottom of the frame are frosted and interlaced with scroll engraving." The term "frosted" referred to the results from a stippling process. This technique was used on no other grade of L.C. Smith shotgun. An eagle with spread wings was engraved on the top of the lever. Each lock plate was engraved L.C. SMITH, and the serial number was engraved in the trigger guard extension. The base price in 1913 was $115. The Hunter One-Trigger added $25, and ejectors added $11 to the price. Gauges available were 10, 12, 16, and 20. The Eagle Grade was made until 1939 and 562 were made (3-10-gauge, 432-12-gauge. 51-16-gauge, and 76-20-gauge. Automatic ejectors were place on 516 of the 562 guns. The base price in 1932 was $176. It was available with Nitro Steel barrels in 26-, 28-, 30-, and 32-inch lengths. Damascus barrels were available on special order until 1919 in 10 and 12 gauges. The nicely figured, imported walnut stocks could be ordered in any grip style. The right barrel was roll-stamped L.C. SMITH EAGLE GRADE while the left was roll-stamped HUNTER ARMS CO. INC. M'F'R'S FULTON, N.Y. U.S.A.

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

A number of doubles had second sets of barrels made for them as after market repairs. I've seen four or five different names used, such as Atlas, Noble... Countries of origin could be Italy, Belgium and perhaps Spain later or GB if you gun was worth it. Proof marks could narrow down when the barrels were added.

To me, putting a Simmons vent rib on any double gun is like putting false eye lashes on a pig, after you apply make up and lipstick. Does not make it better or even less ugly. Others have different taste or like gussied up pigs.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The barrels are replacements by Masquelier à Liège. The lettre annale is 1960.
http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20belge/artisans%20identifies%20ma/a%20masquelier%20gb.htm

Simmons provided barrels for the Ithaca SBT and Browning Superposed, Remington 32 and Krieghoff K32 in the 60s, but they were made by Antoine Cordy of Liege. In light of the Simmons Vent. Rib is seems possible that Simmons used Masquelier also.

Steve Tasitritsis 'ATLAS ARMS', 2704 N Central, Chicago and (later) 7952 Waukegan Rd. Niles, Illinois offered replacement barrels for Smith and Parker guns in the 50s and 60s using tubes made by E.S.C. Vickers (England) and fit and finished by Armaf in Belgium
http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20belge/artisans%20identifies%20a/a%20armaf%20fr.htm

These barrels have a 1954 proof date code.

AND these are replacement Smith barrels by Armi Sarezzo, also 1960. Barrels for Lefevers were also made by one of the Bernardellis of Brescia; handled by a firm in FL named Hardin and Knight

AND there are unmarked Parker barrels out there

Replacement: do you recall who made your Boehler barrels?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gunut

Fluid steel replacement barrels on an 1895 Quality No. 2 by F. P. Stannard.
In 1897, Stannard was the foreman of the gun repairing department of Montgomery, Ward & Co. From 1907 until about 1916, Fremont P. Stannard and Mathew E. Moran were in partnership as gunsmiths in Chicago.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a set of the Bernardelli made barrels of Boehler steel purchased through Harden & Knight around 1970, just prior to their ceasing this operation. It is on an FE grade Lefever, my very first Lefever in fact. I still have the original Damascus set & in fact they are on the gun at present. I already had sneaking suspicions, but at that point had not fully made up my mind it was in fact OK to shoot Damascus under any circumstances. Too much had been written on how Un-Safe a practise it was. Gradually reason seeped through & my Damascus barrels are now my favorites.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Simmons- Simmonds. I have a 12 gauge Eagle Grade made in 1933- It has the factory barrels for that period, unaltered, and the Simmonds Saw Company owner- Gifford I believe- who designed the ventilated rib for the L.C. Smith shotguns-- It has 32" F&F barrels and has the 3 inch chambering stamp, but it is NOT a LONGRANGE model- DT, Ejectors, straight hand grip, Hawkins pad, and the small field style sized splinter forearm with the rectangular shaped latch escutcheon, instead of the famous "banjo" shaped escutcheon.

It is the highest grade Smith I will ever own, the previous owner used it for live bird shooting- doubt that he ever shot any 3" loads in it-- no cracks in the stock near the sidelocks or tangs, but a pal has a similar set-up Crown Grade 12, but with HOT-- and his has a really serious set of cracks near the top tang area-- He shoots heavy turkey loads in his- maybe that's why-

But I'll put a Hillary sign in my yard before I'd ever shoot any 3" or heavy turkey loads in my Eagle grade..

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
"But I'll put a Hillary sign in my yard before I'd ever shoot any 3" or heavy turkey loads in my Eagle grade..:

grin grin And good words for all forum members to live by!
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.