May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (R. Glenz, 12boreman, obsessed-with-doubles, ksauers1, 2 invisible), 472 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,523
Posts545,802
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've been an American made guy,but now I'm starting to branch out. It seems there are a ton of Zabala made guns out there, how do they fair? Are the frames appropriate for the gauge? Better made than the mass produced Turkey guns that seem to be all the rage? Any help on this topic would be great!

Sidelock
Sidelock

This one is a judgement call. For me, a “good value” is a gun that is reliable, durable, and offered at a price that doesn’t make my eyes water. There are a lot of Zabala Hermanos (ZH) made guns out there that meet that description. At the moment there are about a dozen used ZH box lock and side lock shotguns on Gun Broker in gauges from 10 to .410.

Take a look and see what you think.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Are they worth it. Usually yes but that depends on what you pay and what you want in a gun. As mentioned, they usually are fairly reliable. In Canada, you can buy a typical, no frills boxlock for around $300.00. So if you are just looking for an all weather shooter, yes they are worth it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The main issue with ZH guns (I've owned a few and handled a bunch) is that their quality seems inconsistent. Also reliability. Some guys report lots of shells and no problems. Other guys, more problems. I recall looking at a new one (don't remember the "maker's name" on the gun--they've made guns that carry a bunch of different names) and there was a fair gap between the head of the stock and the receiver.

Were I looking Spanish and didn't want to spend more than a few hundred $, I'd either look at Ugartecheas (quite a few of them also carry some importer's names), or the V. Sarasqueta guns imported by Stoeger, back when that company was bringing in some nice stuff. Or, for that matter, an older and very basic AyA.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I bought a new 28 gauge ZH double in 1982, double trigger 26" barrels, had a coin finish receiver with some roll engraving on it. I probably shot over a hundred pen raised pheasants and chucker with it. Never had a problem and it performed well in any weather. The only thing I did not like about it was that it had a recoil pad, but then again they all did from the 10 ga. to .410.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: RARiddell
I've been an American made guy,but now I'm starting to branch out. It seems there are a ton of Zabala made guns out there, how do they fair? Are the frames appropriate for the gauge? Better made than the mass produced Turkey guns that seem to be all the rage? Any help on this topic would be great!

Vast majority I have seen were mass-produces box lock guns. I seem to remember they made couple of SLE guns that may have had some basic hand finishing. I would rate them about the same as CZ-Huglu or DeHaan Huglu guns. Being that manufacturer is kaput I would pass myself. Old Beretta BLNEs like 409 or keeper grade Antonio Zolis would be better choice.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.