April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Fudd, LeFusil, 1 invisible), 400 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,479
Posts545,207
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
jeweler Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I don't hunt much but this came up in a conversation with a buddy of mine. I'm sure you can use a magnet for steel but Bismuth? We have reloaded bismuth and it looks like lead.

monty
Sidelock
Sidelock

hoJo says there is a gadget with a bunch of lights that his Tenn game wardens carry that can tell what's what?...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

The shell I was shooting was Hevi-shot it was not Bismuth.

I said several years back I was checked by a Federal Game Warden on a National Wildlife refuge and he had a gadget that he stuck my shell into and it had lights on it that lit up....I didn't ask the bass'turd any questions on how it worked.

Sidelock
Sidelock

For lack of a better term Bismuth is diamagnetic Unlike steel which is sucked into a strong magnet Bismuth behaves in the other direction. If you have a flat disc of Bismuth and place a strong magnet on it the magnet will seem to levitate upwards. You can check to see if shot is Bismuth by seeing if a magnetic field is repelled by it. Steel is attracted, Bismuth is repelled and lead is not effected.

So all a game warden needs is a gizmo which emits a magnetic field and see if it gets distorted to a plus direction or a minus direction. Plus is steel being attracted toward the field, minus is Bismuth being repelled in effect. The gizmo just shows lights, green for steel, red for Bismuth. If neither it could be lead or some other non tox shot. Different gizmos use different combos but they all work along these simple lines. You can use a compass to see the same thing. Steel shot will attract the needle Bismuth will make it shift 90 degrees. Kind of neat.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Regular GA wardens do not have the electronic gizmo. Most have never even heard of it. They carry a magnet. If it is attracted to the load in your shells they know it is steel. If it is not, and you claim it is Non-Tox, he will ask you for a shell and will slice it open to look at the shot and try to determine what it is. Then, he will randomly pull one more shell out of your bag himself, and do the same to it.

This was told me by a veteran, but still active, warden about three weeks ago.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well with non tox shells going for three bucks a pop they need to buy a gizmo and save me my money. If they can't afford one they need to stop checking me. I've got an honest face. wink

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would just carry the box itself with you or have it in the truck to show him. Need to find a place to buy some myself now that you mention it

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 67galaxie
I would just carry the box itself with you or have it in the truck to show him. Need to find a place to buy some myself now that you mention it

T3 has Rio Bismuth...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 67galaxie

There ain't a box for "These are reloads." You are going to lose a couple of them, at the very best. Hopefully, nothing worse. The game warden advised me that life might be a lot easier if my reloads were not in old lead load hulls.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Very true Stan. I have heard of the opening the crimp and taking out a pellet. Those sts shells are just good for reloading too

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.