April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (HistoricBore, DaveB, SKB, 2 invisible), 1,089 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,147
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 49 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 48 49
Sidelock
Sidelock

Opening day in SC with an early Parker 12 gauge lifter

Sidelock
Sidelock

Opening day seafood buffet lunch:

Forty inches of flood water at the Suwannee house courtesy of Hurricane Hermine:

The storm left a real mess in the yard at the Mouth of the Suwannee:

Hurricane Hermine hit the Gulf of Mexico coast Thursday night and the passed over my home in GA at about 3:00 a.m. that next morning. I got out of bed as the storm raged and walked through the house in the dark to see whether we were sharing our home with any big Pine trees. As always I was again amazed by the raw power of nature!

Good luck was we had no damage at home other than a few minor limbs down in the yard. Power was back on when we woke up Friday morning.

My fishing shack on the Gulf of Mexico took the full force of a Cat. 1 Hurricane though. The house is fine, but we had forty inches of flood water inside, and a real mess in the yard and in the water around the boathouses.

On the other hand, dove season opened Saturday with cool weather and overcast. The wind had not blown our birds away and we shot limits all around over sunflowers.

I said the heck with storm damage and spent the weekend with some friends at a Camp in Dodge County on the Ocmulgee River. We have spent Labor Day weekend there together for thirty years that I've been going but the tradition goes back way farther than that.

We had another great shoot Sunday afternoon again on sunflowers. Nothing short of South America beats an opening weekend dove shoot over a sunflower field!

Other than the shooting, we spent the rest of the long weekend fishing the ponds on the place and me, looking for arrowheads in the food plots and cotton fields.

The Camp is situated on a bluff over the river on a 'blue hole spring'. It must have been a perfect place for an Indian town or seasonal camping area for thousands of years. I've found points from the Clovis era down to Contact period and all in between on the sites along that bluff.

Another great beginning of the hunting season. This life and one more; Lord I do love it!...Geo

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Geo,
Condolences on the Suwanee, but it sounds as if you buried your pain on the Ocmulgee. Hope you found some good points.
We had to cancel our shoot tomorrow as the birds are gone, including the pigeons and collareds. Sunday was okay, but according to landowner, a small fraction of birds appeared compared with pre-Hermine. I am aware of at least three shoots canceled because of lack of birds which is highly unusual this time of the year. Bottom line is that Hermine drove them out. Hopefully it is only temporary.
Mills,
Beauty of a gun and I know where you were. wink Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Gil. Not so much pain though regarding Suwannee. Several floods ago, we took all the drywall out of the house, replaced it with T-111 outdoor siding, put down commercial marine grade vinyl, raised the electric plugs to 50 inches. Now we just hose it out and run dryers till it smells better. We're just fishing down there. Yup, I picked up a pocket full of projectile points; a couple of dandies...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

WOW!!! Sorry for all the flooding frown

Tuesday
1893 Quality 3 L.C. Smith

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great looking Elsie Skeettx! Thanks for the thoughts on our flooding. Flood damage is never quite as bad as it looks at first. I've been through it before.

If you want to own things that are too close to the water, it just happens. It's the tough part of the deal. I'll face the cleanup expense as it comes. My place was built in a filled in salt marsh; nature reclaims her own.

The dove opener was still a great experience!...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

That food was good George. Birds really came in as I was leaving around 4. Sorry to hear about the fishing property

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would have to get that wallowed-out screw fixed.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike,
Many will think that the gamebirds on that old Elsie are woodcock or Wilson Snipe. However, during the era that gun was made, shorebirds were popular and legal gamebirds in the northeast. Yellowlegs, knots, dowitchers, curlews (whimbrels), willets, peeps, plover etc. were all legal game. Some were longbilled, others shortbilled. Those birds look more like generic shorebirds, maybe yellowlegs, than woodcock to me. Great artifact of a bygone era. Thanks for posting. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

John, why would you get the screw fixed?
That would be the start of an expensive process,
Then the stock, then the metal finish, then the ......
What a deep hole smile

Page 5 of 49 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 48 49

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.