April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jtplumb, LeFusil, Researcher), 608 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,083
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
James M Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I don't know how many of you remember or were ever in Mandall's Shooting Supplies which was located on Scottsdale road for over 30 years. I spent many hours there either looking at the incredible array of firearms he had for sale or using the basement range. I attended the auction when the shop was closed and still have a few firearms I purchased at that time. I spent several thousand dollars at that auction and wish I could go back and buy even more.The owner was a real character and I think you'll enjoy this remembrance that was written by someone who knew him well.
Jim

Wednesday, March 18, 2009A Legendary Gun Dealer Passes

Marty Mandall died this morning. He was 81.

Marty got out of the army, and started in the gun business in the 60s, back in his native Brooklyn. In 1974 he lifted his business whole, and moved it to old town Scottsdale; one of the first big gun stores in the area, and the only one in Old Town.

I knew Marty pretty well, and he was a character. I was a Mandalls customer, then a friend of the family, then an employee.

I helped shut the store down in 2004; in one of the biggest auctions of class III and rare and unusual firearms in years... of course it was also one of the biggest collections of cheap pre'68 European pocket pistols ever as well...

... because that was Marty Mandall.

Marty really was a legend... for both good and bad reasons. As a business owner he was a disaster. Marty was, to put it gently, nuts. He mostly hired fellow nutjobs and malcontents to work there.

He had a casual disregard for safety, accounting, record keeping, following the rules in general.

He also loved life. Every minute.

Marty would cheat you. Straight up. He wasn't exactly greedy, and there wasn't any malice in it... it wasn't even about the money; it's just that he thought of the whole thing as a game. As far as he was concerned if he skinned you raw, it's because you didn't play the game well enough.

On the other hand, if you did, you could get some spectacular deals (and I did).

Marty ran the shop more as his own private collection than as a business. On the guns that he particularly liked, he would set the prices so high that no-one would want to pay them, so he could just keep the thing, stare at it and fondle it.

Either that, or he'd buy 10, or 20, or 50 of the things; without regard as to whether he could sell them or not.

When we shut the shop down, we had over 200 $2000 plus Hammerli target pistols. In fact, for years, Marty was Hammerlis only importer in the united states; and was their number one dealer all through the 70s and most of the 80s. ***

In direct contrast to his other business practices, he donated a bunch of pistols to olympic shooting clubs, and jr. marksmanship teams.

A friend of mine is a former IDF sniper. He came to the U.S. in the mid 70s with his American wife; and they had no place to live. Marty put them up for a few months while they got their feet under them.

Marty donated a great deal of money and goods to support Israel; something most people never knew.

He would buy the absolute craziest things. When we cleaned out the store to get ready for the auction, we found hundreds of pairs of rubber waders... as in wade into a river waders. Thousands of left handed holsters. Hundreds of GI 1911 hammers in their original packaging.

In the same case, we had $3000 swarovski scopes, and $30 swift ones.

We had dozens of these $3,000 swiss target rifles. Marty loved 'em but we only ever sold one in the entire history of the store.

He bought dozens of these special editions, collectors editions, commemorative editions; some worth thousands, some worth... basically nothing.

On the other side of things, he bought dozens of these truly awful Turkish shotguns, which were only good as wall hangers.

He loved gold plated pimp guns.

He loved screwing with peoples minds.

He loved dirty jokes, and bad puns, and single entendre, and slapstick.

He had rather severe obsessive compulsive disorder; but hid it from everyone until it got out of hand toward the end of his life. It was the driving force behind his collecting mania, and yes it was a mania (hundreds of rubber waders remember)

Marty was one of the last of the breed... for good or ill; and the world is poorer

*** I think I'll add another note here. Marty rarely threw anything away and the upper level above the store was crammed with original factory shipping cartons that apparently the customer who bought the gun didn't want. I don't remember how they were disposed of. Marty was also a sucker for oddball 25 autos and there were hundreds of them - So many that the auction company was selling them off 6 at a time.

Last edited by James M; 08/17/16 07:48 PM.

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
James M Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm just adding a comment primarily so this doesn't fall off the page before everyone get to read it:
A friend of mine bought all the ammo and it was multiple pickup truck loads full before the auction started. There were cases of oddball and rare stuff like African big game (470 Nitro etc.) cartridges along with 22s, 38spl 9mm etc. he paid 1 cent a round!
I never heard the numbers but he told me he made out like a bandit.
Jim

Sidelock
Sidelock

James:

I was on a big project at Sky Harbor from 2000 to about 2006, so I saw the tail end of operations at Mandells. At that time, I was far-more interested in double guns and what I was seeing there was so eclectic and just hard to make sense of. Also, because William Larkin Moore was just up the road I tended to gravitate there. I loved that you could rent machine guns at Mandells and fire them (although I never did). My work was fairly consuming (dual-phase pump & treat project conducted on active runways) and the heat was something I never fully adapted to, but I was in there several times. I'm sorry I didn't spend more focused time then.

James M Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Unfortunately as far as I can see there are no existing photos of the Inside of Mandalls. However picture your LGS on steroids and that will come close. Marty loved to shoot the breeze so I'd figure on 2 hours minimum whenever I'd stop by.
Another auction story: The auction company was busy for days cataloguing and pricing all the guns and they'd get done in one area and move to another area. Upon looking back; some of the guns they'd just priced would be missing. It seems that Marty was following behind and would up and decide he really didn't want to sell some examples so he's pick them up and take them home.
The auction company wasn't exactly sure what they would end up with when the auction started. They did enlist the services of Marty's wife to keep him away while the auction was going on or he still would have been picking up pieces! eek
Jim

James M Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This ought to give you some idea of what Mandall's looked like in its heyday.

I don't know where this old time shop was located but I believe the guy on the right with the cowboy hat is Carbine Williams looking over a pile of Colt's with Hy Hunter the gun dealer. I guessing it's the 50's or early 60s judging by the military DEWATS I believe I can see hanging on the walls. There appear to be several vintage doubles in the front rack as well. Oh to have a time machine!!
Jim

Last edited by James M; 08/19/16 07:39 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe that Hammerli target rifle ended up in Iowa. I saw if for sale at a gun show in 2001 or 2002 for $700. and I did not have the money to buy it.

James M Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Towards the end; Marty was really big on both Hammerli target pistols and Korth revolvers and he had dozens of each in stock. The problem was not very many ever sold to the general public. I don't remember the realized prices by dozens were sold during the auction.
Jim

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.