May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (NTaxiarchis, Marks_21, SKB, 12boreman), 410 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,505
Posts545,550
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#453859 08/20/16 11:35 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, sadly Armslist has seen VERY shady people on there. I was looking for a certain Baltimore Arms sxs, of which there are only ever 2 or 3 around for sale. One I had noted was at a Cabelas gun library at the time. For a giggle I decided to look on Armslist, and sure enough there's a guy with the same pics as Cabelas trying to sell the gun...on the other side of the country.

As this was my first experience in actually attempting to deal on Armslist, I didn't know whether MAYBE the seller had his gun on consignment at Cabelas, but also wanted to advertise it elsewhere...?

So I emailed, asking if he was the same seller. The response was something childish like "Haha, so you caught me...f you."

Suffice to say, I've never looked at Armslist again. Particularly since in telling this story to others, at least 2 other guys have told me they have seen guns from well known dealers offered for sale in random places, at bargain prices.

Nope, no such thing as a minty Parker CHE offered for $5k.

- Nudge

Sidelock
Sidelock

What about Guns International? I've look at this site from time to time but I've never bought anything there. Anyone with experience dealing there?
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I have bought and sold many guns on Guns International over the last 10 years or so. David runs a fine site. That said, you must judge each seller and gun as an individual. All the big boys advertise on GI for good reason, lots of folks buy there.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for the information. I had never heard anything detrimental about this site and there seems to be a LOT of first rate items for sale on there.
Jim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for the information. I had never heard anything detrimental about this site and there seems to be a LOT of first rate items for sale on there.
Jim

Sidelock
Sidelock

James M,

I'll 2nd what SKB said. I've dealt a few times on GunsInternational and have found both the site, and people who sell of there, to be great. As SKB also said, everyone is an individual, but I would rate GunsInternational just as good as GunBroker or GunsAmerica (<-- my personal favorite).

I think the issue with ArmsList is that because it is meant to be a face-to-face transaction venue, obviously some buyers who might be far away from the "seller" would be more than willing to inquire about a workaround for something they really want to acquire. I mean, how many Lefever B's are local to you?

So shady "sellers" can exploit this. "Yeah, just send the check and I'll give you a tracking number." I'm sure it's been done more than a few times...

For my money, the way the world is today, I wouldn't even think of meeting a stranger who I didn't even have an internet reference for (like someone well known on this or another major forum) to do an in-person transaction.

I'm not talking about shooting events or gunshows...I mean "Hi, I'm Bob with the Parker lifter, let's meet in the Wendy's parking lot."

Hell no.

- Nudge

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nudge:
That is good to know. And while I am not a big online buyer I will certainly keep it in mind. I also have an essentially brand new in the case Winchester 101 Pigeon grade single barrel trap that I've been considering selling. Perhaps this would be a good venue to do this.
Jim

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have been a "ride along" with friends who wanted to inspect an item for sale, and met the seller in a Walmart parking lot. Significant cash was involved both times, and both people asked me to come along, with my Auto Ordnance "Pit Bull" .45 ACP., as an "observer".

What you DON'T want to do is meet a stranger on a lonely road, or at night, or alone. We had an incident here a couple years ago where a middle aged, retired couple met a supposed seller of a classic car, alone, to buy it. They had saved for years to get just that model car, but were both murdered on the spot, and their cash taken. Caveat Emptor, in another light.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

A late friend's son was murdered in a Craig's List truck sale. Craig's list transactions have gotten risky to the extent that some police departments offer their premises for transactions. Gil

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.