May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (GETTEMANS), 166 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,536
Posts545,993
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

For once, I am in agreement with my 'friend" Murph Da Surf. That's what snap caps and masking tape were made for- granted, you won't get to test for pattern and POI/POA (as per Tom Roster's recent article in SS magazine) but you will know that the strikers work properly, and that the ejectors (if the shotgun is so equipped) work and are in time. What were the odds of two schmucks asking to test fire/shoot with live ammo the very same shotgun on a dealers' show table. Ass-tro-nomical!!

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
I doubt I've ever looked at the chamber area of one of my own guns, after a round of trap or skeet.

I feel for the dealer. But, I'm not ready to condemn either shooter without knowing a lot more facts.
Best,
Ted

I hope you don't mind my cut and paste Ted. Sums it up.

This thread begs the question for me. Has anyone ever seen a blowout or bulge in any barrel while using low pressure ammunition? If so, what were the circumstances?

Bill Johnson
Sidelock
Sidelock

5 years from now it will have been re-barrelled, and re-engraved.

It was a boner move for the dealer to post the ad.
Now the serial numbers will be etched in every collectors Rolodex as the "Parker with the bulged tubes"

It's ironic that many Parker afficionado's regail us more pedestrian shooters with their tales of hammering waterfowl with modern cartridges.

Evidently mystique and allure doesn't trump old age and physics.

FWIW, I'd have no qualms about rebarrelling it.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Boner move- good call- "No quite proper form" might have been a better phrasing, however. Why show the potential customer base you might have out there in "Inter-Net Wally World" that you have a hardon against two clowns that apparently "Fubared" a Parker you were offering for sale- Eat it, as a cost of doing business to the general public at sporting clays events, and just advertise any Parkers you have for sale on the PGCA Forum site, assuming you are a member in good standing. I read every issue of SS from front to page, over and over- I see my trusted dealer friend Kirby Hoyt's ads, but I haven't yet seen any from Mr. Barnett. Maybe he'll lick his wounds from this debacle, and go back to the family grocery store chain business?

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill,
Low pressure ammunition is just that, UNTIL there is an obstruction in the bore.

When that happens, it isn't.

The only blown up guns I've seen were right here in cyberspace, save a long ago article in the DGJ on a Greener Empire that was blown up, with an accurate description of how it happened, and the sleeving of that gun. I've seen plenty of guns of all types with bulged barrels. For what it is worth, alot of the pictures of blow ups make only generic reference to what cartridge was being used at the time.

A very good English gunsmith working in the states told me he would be a much, much poorer man were it not for Americans with a reloader and an English double gun. Of course, the regulars here, there, and everywhere will then take great offense, and go on to tell you how they have been reloading for (insert multiple digit number, here) years, and they have never, ever had a mishap.

Then, just as regularly, we see a catastrophy, like this.

I can tell you every kind and type of cartridge loaded into any of my guns for the last decade, at least. Note the generic reference to ammunition used, in this event. I still would need more information than that to make any kind of accurate conclusion, or blame any one individual,

But, we don't even have a notion of what ammunition was being used in the gun. And, I doubt we are going to get it.

Makes you wonder.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think all Dam ascus guns should be sold as wall hangers...deemed unfit for firing with modern ammunition......with that written on the receipt..

gunut
Sidelock
Sidelock

gunut, what is your term for modern?

As stated here, there is a lot more to this. And again I ask why did this gun appear in this condition almost 4 months after this happened????????????????
My two cents again, this gun was restored and the chambers lengthened and barrels honed.

John Roberts is a good friend of his, let him ask what the chambers and bores are. Would help a lot of issues and speculation as to what happened.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Let this horse die. The gun is not for sale. Steve made his point, good or bad.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I wonder if this was a consignment gun and the dealer was forced to buy it after the failure at full price less his commission? If it were me as the dealer that would bug me. Forced to buy a bulged gun for real money and with now cheap or fast way to make it sellable. I agree this gun may come back whole later but there are not that many donor barrels to work with. Lot easier if it were a 12.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would like to put another perspective on this situation. So here goes the dealer should have paid a little more attention in the first place! Firstly, why did he expect a person off the street to have a pocket full of low pressure or 2 cartridges to try the gun with? Did he give a warning to each of the potential customers that the gun had short chambers 2 inches or a load restriction? And of course there is Murphys Law governing the whole enterprise What cant go wrong will go wrong so act accordingly.
I must say here I am one of those lucky people that owns an 1869 Purdey Bar in wood nitro proof and in sound working condition which takes me sporting clay shooting from time to time. Now after a round of more miss than hit, usually on the way back to the club house to drown my sorrows, invariably there will be someone who will have recognised the gun and its maker.
And after answering the usual questions how old how long have I owned the gun etc. You can start to see the longing in their eyes and soon after the big question would it be possible for them to try the gun on a few clays. Now being a personable individual I inevitably say yes and why not! To give someone something to remember though I always add Purdey it may be but it wont magically make you shoot better. Then I roll out the provisos only use the cartridges I give you! And then the warning if you put a 2 inch heavy load cartridge in the gun it would most probably burst and take half your face and a finger or two with it.
So it is the carrot! Free cartridges and the stick! Bad things may come to you if you do dont do things properly. And over the many years I have had the gun I have lost count how many complete strangers have tried to use 150 year old 12 bore hammer gun with no choke 30 inch barrels with a short length of pull and a low combe, but most go away happy.
So the dealer could have side stepped this now expensive outcome by supplying the correct cartridges for the gun and given a warning use those or nothing. And finally if you test drive a motor vehicle, well over here you are not expected to provide the petrol (gasoline).

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.