May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (David Williamson, Jeremy Pearce, Der Ami, Jtplumb, 2 invisible), 335 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,536
Posts546,006
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
At the ass-tro-nomical prices Steve asks for his guns, assuming he gets those asking prices, one might assume he can afford some blanket liability/damage/theft insurance. None of my guns are for sale or loan or try-out. The only time I have ever "swapped" a Parker was at tower shoot at our pheasant club, years ago. I was partnered with my favorite shooting pal, gunsmith Brad Bachelder- who had built this GHE "Project Parker 12 bore" for me, about 7 years ago- and he asked to try it on a few birds- so we swapped guns. he shot it very well, by the way.

If I were a high end used gun dealer, and a potential buyer wanted to shoot a shotgun I had for sale at a side-by-side event, I would ask for the full price in case from him first- if he breaks it, he has bought it- and as they say about that in the Russian Army- Toughski Kashitski-- and in the Southern (Bill Kemmpfer take note) Russian Army, I believe it is Toughski Kashitski, Y'all!!

Francis, have you ever test driven a car before buying it, or have you always put up the entire purchase price first?

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nope- I have never bought a brand new car in my 75 years- well,deduct 16 from that. Bought my first car, a 1951 Chevy 2-door coupe- 3 pc. rear window, 6 cyl with a three on the tree stick shift, from our family doctor for $250.00. My Grandfather taught me to buy a used but well maintained car or truck, after the first owner had "eaten" the depreciation. He also taught me to "Never let your car become a vehicle for your vanity"> Your comparison to the used gun schleppers and the ""test shooting" at the Southern, Northern, Vintagers, etc- is full of shit. All car dealers have insurance that covers them and their cars, at least they should have. So I test drive a 2009 Ford Ranger and get "T-Boned" at the corner of fifth and main- the dealer has insurance, and if not enough, my Auto-owners full comp. would kick in. Not a valid comparison I should think.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

sleeve it...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Did this gun ever get fired before by Steve? He does not say.

How do we know it wasn't a ticking time bomb honed to within a whisker of blowing up the first time it was shot?

What proof does he have that the bulges weren't from RST's?

How would he feel if the shooter came back with a bloody stump for a hand with a ruptured barrel from a legit low pressure shell?

We could be reading a story from the shooter instead about how a dealer gave him a gun that was honed to death to shoot at a show that blew up and ruined his hand forever and his lawyer is suing his butt off.

Two sides to every story, but it was not right for the shooter to not own up to it.

It would be interesting to know the wall thickness. It might help to put the pieces together.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I consider Steve a friend of mine, but .......... if I were a dealer and loaned out guns to potential buyers I would SUPPLY the appropriate shells and either require the potential buyer to pay for them if he didn't buy the gun, or let it go if he buys it.

Then again, I probably wouldn't make it as a dealer.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

He trusted the guy. He thought he was a stand up guy and that he knew what he was doing. Its a shame a hand shake or a word isn't worth very much anymore. Just one more example.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I doubt I've ever looked at the chamber area of one of my own guns, after a round of trap or skeet. I'm guessing Occam's Razor on this one. Anybody who thinks a bunch of gun geniuses are running around a typical shoot are badly mistaken, especially if alcohol is available. I also have a hard time believing a gun that would shoot forever at 8,000PSI would bulge at 10,000-12,000. It would take more than SAAMI spec to do the damage we are seeing, IMHO. I don't recall exactly the numbers, but, it seemed like Sherman Bell was waaay off the charts with what could even be stuffed into a 2 3/4" round in a typical reloader, before he had bulges in his testing.
I have a gun or two I would loan a guy I knew. They aren't Parker G grades. I think the only guns I ever borrowed were my Dad's. They live here, now.
I feel for the dealer. But, I'm not ready to condemn either shooter without knowing a lot more facts.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Without wall thickness information, the shooter can in no way be blamed for acting negligently.

Sidelock
Sidelock

He trusted the guy- hum- trust everyone, but always cut the cards- TWICE-- reminds me of the line in the great college spoof movie "Animal House"-- "Hey, you fucked up, you trusted us" Timmy Matheson as Otter- to some poor schmuck pledge--

I wouldn't make it very long as a gun dealer. It takes a special type of person to survive in that cut-throat game- where tricked up shotguns and rifles are sometimes (not always) sold at overly high prices to the un-knowing. Always do your homework before you even ask a dealer to handle on of his table displayed guns.

If you are at a show and there are shooting fields available, ask the dealer or one of his staff people to shoot the gun-test firing for function, perhaps a pattern board, and with the ammo They select- and offer to pay for that expense, whether you buy the gun or not.

Then, and again with their selected ammo, you shoot it to your satisfaction, then negotiate the final sales price- something you can't do at an auction.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve seems to be a victim of coincidence here. What are the chances that TWO test fire requests are made on ONE gun on a table display with a hundred or more guns? Requesting to fire a gun that you don't intend to buy is a juvenile act. What does it prove except that the gun will fire? I have never understood the practice.

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.