May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (Hoot4570), 490 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,524
Posts545,824
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 19 of 21 1 2 17 18 19 20 21
Sidelock
Sidelock

Is personal protection or self defense not legal in Canada? That would be news to the Sask. Canadians I know...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: King Brown
Yes, what you, Gallup and Pew say about Americans favouring gun control and background checks is accurate---but it's a lie when I post it according to our far-right friends!

Similarly, to our far-right friends, a federal vote for a Democrat is anti-gun as if the electorate is concerned primarily with guns, which it isn't. Members are excoriated for voting Democrat twice....

....Or have I missed something....

Yes, you have missed something.

When the 'peoples' and 'electorates' are choosing the next regulator, only 3% of them want a gun regulator. Thus, we are stuck with the unanswered question of who 'they' are, beholden to the elite 3%, and what their 'legitimate concerns' are. But, can we at least consider those elite 3% lucky to have the unwavering support of our double gunning 'friends' on the left.

Was it just a couple of weeks ago that double obama voter and distinguished member nca summed up the anti gun lock step position? He said something to the effect that, he freely admitted to hill's anti history, anti campaign message, and certain anti actions. Why, because he liked every other position of her's, not related to gun control. In other words, his position is a hundred percent excoriated, not just the elite part.

Did I mention that I have certified my anecdotal stories as A1, and that the 3% came from Gallup?

Sidelock
Sidelock

You may be correct, possibly so from what I read here of the need for personal safety. I'm leery of imputing a motive because in Canada buying for personal safety, as James says, will most likely militate against the purchase. I also understand the longstanding lack of trust in your governance, from London and now Washington!

Sidelock
Sidelock

....Your post of few days ago on CTV's poll of what Canadians currently think of their gun laws is germane to member interests.

For Americans to cite Canadian sources, statistics and trends on firearms--- or anything, as they are welcomed to do---to support a fact or an opinion is what reasonable people do....

What is also germane, is to not forget that discussing this 'agreeably and civilly' is nothing more than discussing a Canadian 'sport'. I suppose it might be helpful to know what rights Canadians have to their sports? Let me guess, Canada has an elite 3% endowing and denying sport? In a compliant society, are there any polls out that imply hockey's popularity must conclude the need for more control over less popular 'sports'.

Sidelock
Sidelock

King, hidden in there is my real point.

Polling has become problematic and unreliable. The pollsters themselves will tell you their industry is in crisis as the tried and true methods of reaching a fair cross section of the public have become more difficult due to changing technologies.

This crisis of access is more likely to create skewed results. Additionally most of the MSM has a left of centre bent to it. It has an agenda, as do politicians. Thus poll questions get spun, poll results get spun. Some poll results get buried.

For us, as Canadians, to imagine what we read or hear in the MSM about the US and what commentary we hear about what polls, I think we would be mistaken to think those commentaries and reports accurately reflect the broad cross section of Americans. Including Gallop and Pew and anyone else.

There is a reason why, in Canada, different polling companies are aligned with different political parties.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Is personal protection or self defense not legal in Canada? That would be news to the Sask. Canadians I know...Geo

George, it is not legal, except in extraordinarily few circumstances, to buy or have a firearm for the purpose of self defense.

By that I mean defense from another human.

That's not to say some don't have guns for those purposes but it is not a legitimate reason for owning a firearm and our laws make the reason to own a restricted weapon germane in assessing whether you should be allowed to have one.

Last edited by canvasback; 09/15/16 11:09 AM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

From a policing perspective, your and our guys are always telling us to leave policing to them, not vigilantism. A successful cc application in Canada is very rare; I know none with one.

A Mountie friend told me a person needs a good lawyer if they use violence with a firearm or 2 X 4 on apprehension of a person with lighted match in a hayloft, climbing in a window, leaving with private property.

A case dragged through the courts for years of a Chinese shopkeeper in Toronto looking at a prison term for shooting at thieves leaving his store. He had been burglarized and robbed half-a-dozen times.

I believe Canadian shooters have ideas or plans if they felt lives were in danger. Legality would be problematic, likely not. My firearms are unloaded and locked in a gunroom. I have no need for them for personal safety.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"My firearms are unloaded and locked in a gunroom. I have no need for them for personal safety." King Brown

King I guess that sums up a major difference in the culture of our two Countries. I'd like to live with that outlook on personal safety, but I do not see that possibility in the USA...Geo

Last edited by Geo. Newbern; 09/15/16 11:28 AM. Reason: can't spell
Sidelock
Sidelock

George, at the local theatre in conversation with a person I didn't know, I told of a Mountie saying " there's no crime" in our county. Lots of fighting, in families and otherwise which he blamed mostly on minor hockey games, but no crime.

The woman gave me a big smile and told me of her experience buying groceries at the mall with her young children, including a case of beer. In the loading of the kids and groceries, she forgot to put in the beer.

At the liquor store a week later, she told the clerk this is my second case, she had left the last one in the parking lot. "Oh, you're the one," the clerk said. ""Here it is. Someone found it and returned it." Canada is not all like that but it's different.

I'd put my money on your Saskatchewan friends being the same.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Any polls about hockey would reveal that while we can't win all the big cups Canada takes great pleasure in providing top-notch players to your winning teams.---as the US does to ours.

Page 19 of 21 1 2 17 18 19 20 21

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.